aila

Friend dumped me over religion

Question

Hi, my "friend" (or I thought) recently ended our friendship because I no longer go to church. She feels that she can no longer "be herself" with me because she cannot talk about her faith constantly and does not want anyone coming between "her and God (not sure how I was ). I was surprised this happened and tried to explain how she was being judgmental in her decison, but she is literally unable to see how it is a form of discrimination. How come Christians cannot see their own hypocrisy? I did not know my leaving church would cost us our friendship. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Riven said:

Jace, I'm with you. I've struggled so much with this. Part of me would like to know if I could be thrown away so easily by my family, and part of me never wants to find out.

This is a very real struggle. There is no need to rush to a decision. Take the time to get to know yourself as an unbeliever. If you are not sure that you should tell others, you are probably not ready. I waited years before I told my family, and I have never regretted the way I did it.

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

2 hours ago, disillusioned said:

This is a very real struggle. There is no need to rush to a decision. Take the time to get to know yourself as an unbeliever. If you are not sure that you should tell others, you are probably not ready. I waited years before I told my family, and I have never regretted the way I did it.

Thank you, disillusioned. I appreciate that. 🙂 (For the life of me, I can't figure out how to "like" or "thank" a post...)

Not a good friend. Sad to say, but move on. She would only serve to be a bad influence on you. 

So this person would rather have an imaginary friend than a real one?  You didn't lose a friend; you dodged a bullet.

• Like 2