Sign in to follow this  
Geezer

48 Hours The Murder of our local NBA Star

Did any of the rest of the country catch 48 Hours last Saturday night? it was the story of the murder of a local kid that made it big in the NBA. Lorenzen Wright #42 was the player. He played 13 years in the NBA and was a starter for much of that time. He wasn't a journeyman, he was a legit NBA quality player. 

I watched him pull down 30 rebounds and score 30+ points one night. At 6' 10.5" he was an undersized center, but quick as cat. My wife and I were friends with his wife's father and step mother (We went to the same church and had season tickets for our local NBA team). His wife's father was big in the local and AAU basketball scene. In fact, he coached "Ren" in high school and that is how his daughter (Sherra) met Ren. 

Anyway, when Ren's career was winding down he was traded from the local NBA franchise (The Memphis Grizzlies) and ended up with the Atlanta Hawks to finish his career. He often came back to Memphis because that was his home. Sherra and Ren had divorced by then. It was reported that he'd earned approximately $55 Million dollars in his career, but he was in bankruptcy when he went to the Hawks. 

On a return trip to Memphis to visit his 7 kids he disappeared. Nine days later his decomposed body was found. He'd been shot 5 times, twice in the head. The case went unsolved until a few months ago. The murder weapon was found in an obscure lake about 50 miles from Memphis. His former wife Sherra and her former lover were arrested soon after that for Ren's murder. She collected a little over a million dollars of life insurance when he died. 

It has been revealed 3 people were involved in Ren's murder. One, her cousin, is already in jail serving time for another murder while Sherra and her boyfriend are awaiting trial for Ren's murder. It was and has been one of the biggest stories in Memphis for the last 7 years. When his body was found I told my wife then that Sherra had murdered him or had him murdered. The police thought that too, but it took them 7 years to prove it. 

The 48 hours segment indicated Ren and Sherra spent about $40,000 a month for household expenses while he was playing for the Grizzles. His contract with the Grizzlies was reportedly paying him $7 million a year at that time. That figure does not include the jewelry, clothes, cars, and homes that they bought. 

• Sad 1

A very sad story.  The people who did this were awful.  Too many awful people in this world.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.