Goodbye Jesus

Where did the idea of a literal rapture come from.

Borticus

My question is where did a literal rapture before the apocalypse come from? In the book of revelations it clearly states that only the 144,000 selected will be saved beforehand. While the rest of humanity must endure the 1,000 year apocalypse. Is it misinterpreting 1 Thessalonians where it speaks of people believing Christ be raptured?

57 minutes ago, Borticus said:

My question is where did a literal rapture before the apocalypse come from? In the book of revelations it clearly states that only the 144,000 selected will be saved beforehand. While the rest of humanity must endure the 1,000 year apocalypse. Is it misinterpreting 1 Thessalonians where it speaks of people believing Christ be raptured?

A lot of christians reject it as un-biblical. It was basically invented in the 19th century along with many other doctrines invented by various protestants during the same time period. 

If I'm remembering correctly, the Church of Christ (I was once a member) does not believe in a rapture.

Further indication that xanity has so many differing versions that they even conflict with one another. 

How many of you have presented this concept to a fundy only to receive the standard "That's just Satan trying to confuse and disrupt the REAL Christianism!"  ????

• Like 4

I always thought that the idea of a rapture was fatuous nonsense.

Interesting, how some of the stupid things were so clearly nonsense to me, while others were obviously correct.

• Like 2

The Secret Crapture.... 

• Haha 1

I was raised by fundies who convinced me that the rapture concept was unbiblical and a lie taught by those other evil liberal churches. Now I'm not sure what's biblical and what's not, but it sure is interesting to observe people holding completely opposing viewpoints on what is and with the same fierce degree of conviction!

It was part of the counter-reformation, the reformers called the RCC the antichrist, in order to nullify the accusation they had the Jesuits  (Alcazar & Ribera) come up with private biblical interpretations. Ribera's interpretation became popular within Protestantism & voila, there's the belief in the secret rapture.

On 5/18/2018 at 3:57 PM, MOHO said:

Further indication that xanity has so many differing versions that they even conflict with one another. 

How many of you have presented this concept to a fundy only to receive the standard "That's just Satan trying to confuse and disrupt the REAL Christianism!"  ????

Oh yeah, that is a rather common tactic among Fundamentalists!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

From dimwits with the mentality of a 4 year old

It came from the same sort of mind-bending logic that gave us magical god-men dying for our sins.  Lots of things that aren't in the bible, entire religions full of things, are "biblical."

mwc

• Super Moderator
On 5/21/2018 at 1:32 AM, Thumbelina said:

It was part of the counter-reformation, the reformers called the RCC the antichrist, in order to nullify the accusation they had the Jesuits  (Alcazar & Ribera) come up with private biblical interpretations. Ribera's interpretation became popular within Protestantism & voila, there's the belief in the secret rapture.

Funny that the clergy of the RCC "antichrist" were the only people with access to the scriptures for over 1,000 years, yet the protestants still trust it to be the inerrant, infallible word of god.

On 1/15/2019 at 12:22 PM, Aries256 said:

From dimwits with the mentality of a 4 year old

Actually it's quite the opposite.  

I don't think there's any concrete evidence who or where pre-trib started. The teaching is incredibly complicated and endlessly fabricated.  Back in the 60's and 70's it was being taught like crazy.  As people began investigating its claims, several contradictions were exposed.  Since then, with every new fabrication that surfaced to cover up those contradictions, more and more fabricated nonsense was required to cover them up.  It's the most widely held, fabricated, deceitful teaching Christians believe today.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2018 at 1:46 PM, Borticus said:

My question is where did a literal rapture before the apocalypse come from?

I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED THAT!!! I never grew up believing it but I knew many who did and I had no idea where it came from. I mean, they cited the story in Matthew 24

40 Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. 41 Two women will be grinding ((mind starts to wonder......... :) hot)) with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.

But this was a pretty long leap into full on rapture for me. 

• 1 month later...

The rapture? Which one? And should the book of Revelation even be in the bible? News at 11:00...

Yes, one of the more lively topics of discussions. The whole point of prophecy is that it isn't usually clear as to the details, and in that sense, the story of the biblical end times is rather murky when it comes to actual details.

Personally, from what I have studied some years ago, I settled in my own mind that "pre-trib" is definitely not the way the story goes. But then that pesky verse would keep coming to mind... "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation...". Based on that verse alone, the topic is a non-starter.