Goodbye Jesus

What's The Stupidest Thing You've Ever Believed?

Moxie

I used to believe that Unitarian Universalists had orgies during their congregational gatherings.

giphy.gif

• Haha 8

I was a young earth creationist. So there's that.

I also thought that the return of Christ was likely to happen before I reached adulthood.

Too many others to mention.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

When I was 17 I thought maybe I was humble enough that Jesus would choose me as one of the two witnesses who gets to die publicly during the Great Tribulation.  I was so humble that Jesus was lucky to have me.

:magic:          :god:         :jesus:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

That I could use telepathy to send magic thoughts to an invisible being who would then help me 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

On 5/19/2018 at 8:31 PM, mymistake said:

When I was 17 I thought maybe I was humble enough that Jesus would choose me as one of the two witnesses who gets to die publicly during the Great Tribulation.  I was so humble that Jesus was lucky to have me.

:magic:          :god:         :jesus:

You know, to be honest, I vaguely remember having a similar fantasy in my teens? Wow it's so weird to remember that, now. I was bonkers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Objective reality? (haha)

• Haha 1

Similar to @disillusioned. I was an Old Earth Creationist. While doing research towards my PhD in astrophysics.

...yeah, evangelical Christianity can have that much of a stranglehold on one's mental faculties.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Young earth creationist. I’m mortified I talked that shit to people. Dinosaur bones explained away with some bullshit.

• Like 2

My face is actually getting all hot thinking about all that shit I believed.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2018 at 3:54 PM, Lydie said:

I get pretty embarrassed whenever I decide to look at one of my old posts on various Christian forums, or when I look at old Facebook messages I sent to other Christians. You are far from alone, I think.

• Like 2

That being imprisoned/tortured for my faith was something to aspire to...I daydreamed about it. I thought it would make me a perfect Christian and all but guarantee a "well done" from jesus 😳 Gag.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2018 at 11:54 PM, Lydie said:

I haven't contributed to this thread yet because I have a hard time deciding on THE stupidest thing I used to believe. I have so many! :Doh:

BTW, I too was a physics student and a believer. I had all these explanations for why angels couldn't be measured in the lab and stuff. I believed in old Earth and that evolution was the way creation was done, but that's far from being the stupidest thing. Hmm. 

Okay here's one. Believing that atheism was active denying of the Christian God every day, just to piss him (and Christians) off. That was pretty stupid.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I kind of let people talk me into believing there was such a thing as "speaking in tongues". Hahaha!

• Like 2

Oh gosh, and then there was this guy who was totally into backward messages and for some time, I kind of believed there were from the devil.

• Like 1

ANYTHING ABOUT THE NOAH'S ARK STORY OH MY GOD

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That if I am a good enough Christian I might actually hear God's voice speak to me one day!

Now I'm glad he never said a word....

It's really stupid but, if someone told me they actually heard god's voice tell them something I'd believe it because no one would lie about something like that! Right?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Lucy said:

That if I am a good enough Christian I might actually hear God's voice speak to me one day!

Now I'm glad he never said a word....

It's really stupid but, if someone told me they actually heard god's voice tell them something I'd believe it because no one would lie about something like that! Right?

Don't get me started about people who tell you that god actually spoke to them. Be it in an actual voice or whatever. 

The next time I hear that I think I'll say "Wel god really DID speak to me and he insists that you stop BULLSHITTING PEOPLE!"

• Like 1

Good topic! Ditto for a lot of the Christianity stuff mentioned here. As far as something not related to Christianity, astro-meterology would be high on the list. 

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Stupidest thing I ever believed?  god.

• Like 3

When I was little, I thought that retarded children were the result of premarital sex.  So stoopid!

• Like 1

You know.....this actually has the potential to make me cry for no good reason whatsoever.....but I was convinced up until a few years ago that I actually deserved hell. I was petrified of it, so I was a good little christian girl who did my best and repented all the goddamn time when I messed up and was all neurotic. But deep down, I believed that I had been saved from eternal torment when I otherwise deserved to go. That my being saved was "merciful."

That's really stupid and fucked up. Everyone has things they aren't proud of, but I don't even think the worst of the worst "sinners" deserve indefinite torture for a finite crime. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

53 minutes ago, ag_NO_stic said:

You know.....this actually has the potential to make me cry for no good reason whatsoever.....but I was convinced up until a few years ago that I actually deserved hell. I was petrified of it, so I was a good little christian girl who did my best and repented all the goddamn time when I messed up and was all neurotic. But deep down, I believed that I had been saved from eternal torment when I otherwise deserved to go. That my being saved was "merciful."

That's really stupid and fucked up. Everyone has things they aren't proud of, but I don't even think the worst of the worst "sinners" deserve indefinite torture for a finite crime. 

Same here. That fear and paranoia about hell took me over a decade to get over. They really drill it in deep. Sorry you had to go through it as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Man.

So many asshats are willing to induce such psychological ill and trauma on so many just so they can rape our wallets and control our sorry butts. I would treat each and every religious pundit with such disdain but I know so many are innocent victims themselves. 

• Like 2

I actually believed "god" was listening to every single thought I had. I'd go to bed every night, running over my entire day (including thoughts) and pray for forgiveness for everything that was considered a sin. I lived this way for 25 years.

I'll probably spend another 25 trying to figure out why I believed this.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

God, where do I start...

believing God cared which socks I wore (as a young child, lots of weird compulsions that were god related in those early years).

believing that tongues-speakers were evil

later believing that tongues-speakers were the only ones that were saved 

believing that’s Jesus would come back to Rapture the church “Thief in the Night” style (did anyone else see this when they were 6-7 years old and have it scar them for decades???)

Believing in the “harmony of the gospels”

I think that’s enough for now ;)

• Like 3