Goodbye Jesus

The Last Word

ebibl

Imagine a world without words. You can't speak. You can't read. You can't write. You can't understand or know anything. You can't ask questions. You can't even form a thought. Without the word life would have absolutely no meaning and more than likely be impossible.  In fact, the word is the one thing that all human beings have in common from day one of our lives. 

So, who in the Bible is the word? Jesus Christ (John 1). And where does the word dwell? In the mind - the temple of words. And here in lies the questions for Christians:

Why would anyone need to believe in Jesus Christ as their personal savior at some point in their life when the truth of the matter is he has been with us all along? 

Something to think about.

There is no "Jesus" to be with you, me or anyone else.

Whoever the fiction-writing authors of the Bible used as the basis for their Jesus character has been dead for two millennia, if there was ever a single person to begin with.

I'm sure you mean well with your so-new-and-novel insights into the holey book.

As Saint Jack of Nicholson said, "Go sell crazy someplace else; we're all stocked up here".

You'll find, if you press your luck on this site, that I might be one of those (relatively) least-well-equipped to dismantle the BS, but you'll wish I was the best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Ebibl, what part of ex-Christian do you not understand?

I don't believe that this alleged "Jesus" person is anywhere at all, let alone here with us now.  Dead people stay dead, and imaginary people are only in the imagination.  Either way, the Jesus character is not relevant to my life.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ebibl said:

Imagine . . . 

That is how it all starts.  But I'm done with religion.

• Like 4

Well said team!  Was just trying to help you understand an often hidden concept behind Jesus Christ that really get's overlooked in Christianity. I understand this distaste for Jesus Christ all to well as I have experienced plenty of it in my time. Jesus Christ is not a person to me but a concept. So oh well. Was only trying to help. Take care.

In general, I don't think we need help understanding concepts of Jesus Christ. There's a fair amount of experience on that front here already.

• Like 4

Ok. Stay disillusioned. I digress. 

5 hours ago, ebibl said:

Well said team!  Was just trying to help you understand an often hidden concept behind Jesus Christ that really get's overlooked in Christianity. I understand this distaste for Jesus Christ all to well as I have experienced plenty of it in my time. Jesus Christ is not a person to me but a concept. So oh well. Was only trying to help. Take care.

Why not give that concept a different name?  The name J.C. has been taken. 

By the way, I think your avatar is cool.

Hey thanks about the avatar and good point about JC. Lots I'd love to share with you all if it would be of any hep.

ebible, related to the question that I asked you in the other thread, what is it that makes you think the Bible in particular is so relevant to the human experience? Why do you focus on the Bible for your insights, and not the Koran? For someone who has left Christianity behind, you seem oddly fixated on it's religious texts. The world is full of religious texts. Some have merit. But you seem to think that the Bible has some kind of special value, and that you specifically are qualified to educate us on this topic. These are portentous claims. What is their basis?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ebibl said:

Lots I'd love to share with you all if it would be of any hep.

Probably not.  It usually doesn't go well.

When I first left Christianity I wasn't ready to give it up.  So in my mind I tried to salvage some of it.  I had devoted 33 years of my life to studying and practicing Christianity.  I thought some of it was good and worth saving.  But in time I realize that was baggage that I was carrying around with me.  It was easier to start over from scratch and just be good as myself.  It was more genuine to start over.  Perhaps you will feel the same way soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will do. Best to this community then.

5 hours ago, ebibl said:

Said the man that believes a little old invisible white man, with long white hair and beard,  that lives up in the sky and sits on an invisible throne,  and reads the minds of every human being on earth 24/7, and keeps a permanent record of everything every human on earth says, does, & thinks promising to revisit all of that stuff on the final day of judgement.

And you think we're the ones that's delusional? Seriously?   :49:

• Like 2

On 5/20/2018 at 7:55 PM, ebibl said:

From my experience with Christianity, every sect claims it has a hidden concept of dear JC. And of course their concept is right, and only their concept. All other concepts lead to hell.

So your concept of JC is that he is the word and the word is in the mind, therefore JC is in the mind? I think that's a bit of redundant thinking. We have words, they are part of language, and we know they are produced in our mind. There is no need to introduce JC in any form into this concept.

And the original Greek that we translated into "word" was Logos which does't mean words as in the words we form, but is more like a statement or idea. John is basically saying in the beginning there was an idea and god was the idea. The verse itself is redundant. Its a deepity - it sounds good on the surface, but when you think about it you realize it means zilch.  

On Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 7:41 AM, ebibl said:

Up yours, motherfucker. I don't digress.

You had the chance to dialogue. People responded the way you might expect EX-CHRISTIANS to respond. Then you had to show your arrogance and attitude of superiority.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2018 at 7:41 AM, ebibl said:

What exactly do you think that we DON"T know about Jesus? We know the literal, the metaphorical, the mystical, the heretical, and apostate variations that all occur within the scheme of the Jesus myth. The word, the Platonic Logos filtered down through Philo of Alexandria and eventually utilized in the book of John, and late on the scene, is quite a flaccid issue actually. 

The real question is how much do you know about it? 

And of what significance do you think it has? 

• Thanks 1

I think ebibl was actually referring to Disillusioned's screen name.  Besides, being disillusioned with Christianity is not an insult.  (I'm just saying.) 

4 hours ago, mymistake said:

I think ebibl was actually referring to Disillusioned's screen name.  Besides, being disillusioned with Christianity is not an insult.  (I'm just saying.) 

I'm pretty sure this is correct. If he meant it as an insult to me, it didn't land.

On 5/19/2018 at 10:35 PM, ebibl said:

So, who in the Bible is the word? Jesus Christ (John 1). And where does the word dwell? In the mind - the temple of words. And here in lies the questions for Christians:

Why would anyone need to believe in Jesus Christ as their personal savior at some point in their life when the truth of the matter is he has been with us all along? 

Something to think about.

On 5/20/2018 at 3:55 AM, ebibl said:

On 5/20/2018 at 9:31 AM, ebibl said:

Hey thanks about the avatar and good point about JC. Lots I'd love to share with you all if it would be of any hep.

So where's the big punch line? Jesus is in our mind? Our imagination? Been there all along? These are obvious conclusions if so. I'm not sure of what help the assertion would be to anyone here. And conceptual Jesus ideas range all across the board. What they all have in common is that if they are not literal based ideas, they are heretical. If they are heretical, they all turn into a big "so what?'" in the end that not only don't rely on the Jesus myth in particular, but don't really matter too much one way or the other whether you use Jesus or any number of other avatars. Basically, whatever meaning you may try and reach for, by way of the Jesus myth, you could just as soon reach for without the Jesus myth. 

This is a common thing, people grasping for something about Jesus to view as significant. I've seen a lot of that in the post Joseph Campbell world where liberal christians try to interpret the Jesus myth through unconventional and unorthodox ways. Jordan Peterson is now doing just that. But these always fold under close examination, always. If they fold that easily then they can't be all that great a thing to try and cling to, as they'll only let you down again someday, just like the conventional beliefs did. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2018 at 12:55 AM, ebibl said:

So tell us your private revelation.

On 5/20/2018 at 6:37 AM, disillusioned said:

ebible, related to the question that I asked you in the other thread, what is it that makes you think the Bible in particular is so relevant to the human experience? Why do you focus on the Bible for your insights, and not the Koran? For someone who has left Christianity behind, you seem oddly fixated on it's religious texts. The world is full of religious texts. Some have merit. But you seem to think that the Bible has some kind of special value, and that you specifically are qualified to educate us on this topic. These are portentous claims. What is their basis?

Where's the other thread he speaks in ? I'm too lazy to dig through em all. :)

7 hours ago, midniterider said:

Where's the other thread he speaks in ? I'm too lazy to dig through em all. :)

https://www.ex-christian.net/topic/77729-have-you-lost-anything-because-of-your-belief-in-jesusthe-biblechristianity/?page=3