Goodbye Jesus

Is there a scientific reason why I'm content being an ex-christian?

slam

One of my christian friends wrote, "......my life would be quite meaningless if all I had was the avg 79 years of it. That nothing really matters. That there is no eternal perspective on anything."  I totally related to this statement when I was a christian.   When I was a Christian, I 100% believe life without God would be meaningless . 

However, for some strange reason, as an ex-christian, I'm okay that there is nothing more.  I can still live a content life without God.    Does anybody know if there is a scientific reason why non-christian are okay that there is nothing more?  However, Christian are convinced they can't live life without knowing there is more.

What I mean by scientific reason is like how there are many stories about Christians that die and came back to life and how all of them saw the white light and tunnel.  However, the scientific reason turns out that it is normal for all humans to see white light  and the tunnel when they die.  

• Like 2

Welcome slam! It's great to see new members posting.

I don't know that I would term this a "scientific" explanation per se, but it is a rational explanation nonetheless. On the belief that God does not exist, life need not have any inherent meaning or purpose. As such, we no longer have a duty to behave a certain way, lest we be punished. We are free from the fear that there is a reckoning coming. This is not to say that we should, therefore, behave recklessly, as if our actions have no consequences. Rather, we should behave as if our actions may have dire consequences in the here and now. But once that is finished, that's it. There is no need to lose sleep over the thought of eternal consequences.

Christianity is premised on the notion that God has set the bar just a little out of our reach. We are never good enough. There is nothing that we can ever do to change this fact. Once Christianity is set aside, we are free to realize that, while we might like to be better, there is no ultimate standard that we are doomed to forever fall short of. This, in itself, is a very freeing realization.

Karl Marx is often misquoted as saying that religion is the opiate of the masses. What he actually wrote is as follows:

"Religious distress is at the same time the expression of real distress and the protest against real distress. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions."

When we leave Christianity, we leave behind the notion that we require salvation. We leave behind the notion that there is eternal life. But we also leave behind the notion of hell, of damnation, and of condemnation. Christians think that they need to be saved, and that they have been saved, and are, therefore, grateful for their salvation. They can't imagine living without it. But if the need for salvation is removed, then everything is fine. Here we are, and here we will stay until we are no more. It isn't fantastic, but it is what it is.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Welcome to ex-C.  Hmm . . . I believe the scientific name for the phenomenon you describe is called "being normal".  Seriously.  Normal people accept reality for what it is.  Back when I was a Christian I was looking forward to experiencing what Christians dream about for the afterlife.  But back then I was delusional.

• Like 5

I no longer live my life as if it were a test for the next life. Now my belief that we only have one life, makes it precious.

It feels like stepping out into the sunlight, seeing reality as it truly is. We are free to create our own purpose. The scientific universe may not have a purpose for me but I do.

• Like 5

Is there an objective reason why Christians think that their life has meaning? No. It's just them putting a positive spin on their current circumstances.

I think kissing Jesus' ass in heaven forever is 'quite meaningless.' But that's just me. :)

You could ask a Christian why they derive importance and meaning in life from kissing Jesus ass forever in heaven? Why is that fulfilling?

• Like 1

On May 25, 2018 at 3:19 PM, slam said:

One of my christian friends wrote, "......my life would be quite meaningless if all I had was the avg 79 years of it. That nothing really matters. That there is no eternal perspective on anything."  I totally related to this statement when I was a christian.   When I was a Christian, I 100% believe life without God would be meaningless . 

However, for some strange reason, as an ex-christian, I'm okay that there is nothing more.  I can still live a content life without God.    Does anybody know if there is a scientific reason why non-christian are okay that there is nothing more?  However, Christian are convinced they can't live life without knowing there is more.

What I mean by scientific reason is like how there are many stories about Christians that die and came back to life and how all of them saw the white light and tunnel.  However, the scientific reason turns out that it is normal for all humans to see white light  and the tunnel when they die.  

What does the term "Life with God" even mean? How can anyone have a "life" with something that's invisible & doesn't communicate directly with you, and there is no evidence that it even exists or ever has. It takes a deeply indoctrinated mind to believe stuff like that. 

• Like 2

Talking to something that isnt there gives their life “meaning” .

• Like 1

I recon folks that must rely on happiness in an afterlife must be very sad with the one they have now.

I am, after leaving religion behind, focused on extracting all the love and happiness from this life.

It is sometimes sad, though, to think of sharing that life with someone who is focused on the afterlife. I often wonder if, 20 years from now, she will look back on regret not sharing the time together that she wasted on churchy stuff. 

• Like 3

Oh, btw, welcome aboard, @slam

Hope you hang around.

Thank you everybody for help me find the answer.  I finally did find the answer.  I was listening to Anthony Robbins and he talked about the 6 Human needs.  Here is a link that is NOT from Anthony Robbins, but it explains the same thing....

https://www.strategiclifecoaching.org/The6HumanNeeds.en.html

A common sermon I heard often as a christian is why worshiping Jesus is the only way a man will be fulfilled in life.  If you study the 6 Human Needs article, many christian just happen to do all these 6 things.  That is why so many Christians seem like they live a fulfilled life.  In reality, a non-believer who follows these 6 Human Needs will live the same fulfilled life.

I'm a bit late here, but meaning is value that you have assigned to something. We could all die today and the world and universe would go on as it was before we were here. All our meaning and opinions go poof.

I find meaning personally in learning and interacting well with other humans and species, singing, and creating good food. Some find meaning or purpose in making billions of dollars, and then more billions. In a way it is arbitrary.

• Super Moderator

Scientific reason? Endorphins, I guess.