Jump to content

Forced to go to church on Christmas


Guest llllll

Recommended Posts

Your best long-term strategy is to get far away from the people who are trying to force you to go to church..

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

I explained to my wife that I couldn't keep from laughing so it wouldn't be respectful to those who were there to worship.

 

But it sounds like your situation may be very different.  Perhaps you are under 18, live with your folks or else need them to pay for college?  That sort of thing makes it tricky.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Christmas is a long way away. Lots of things can happen between now and then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Super Moderator

A dependent minor has little choice in such things. Adults may simply say "no."

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As Florduh writes, if you are a dependent minor, all you can do is go. But they can't control what's in your mind. Look at the event like a theater performance; a play about fantasy and the absurd. Take it in as if it was entertainment, even if it's a boring show. If there is a balcony, try to get a seat there so you can look down and count the bald heads.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, llllll said:

I think I will just hide from church

 

 

 

Can you tell us more?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, older said:

But they can't control what's in your mind. Look at the event like a theater performance; a play about fantasy and the absurd. Take it in as if it was entertainment, even if it's a boring show.

 

Yes, I had to do something similar...look at it like a learning experience, why do people believe this way? How does the brain work? etc...

Link to post
Share on other sites

But who will force you to go to church?  Why not just attend the service once a year?  It's the worst thing that can happen is that you will be board for three hours?  Occasionally I attend service and my challenge is to not laugh.  Usually I succeed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Super Moderator

When I was a kid, being dragged to church only ONCE A YEAR would have been great! Sadly, I was dragged 2 or 3 times a week. And the annual camp meeting. Special programs. Yada yada yada.......

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2018 at 8:56 PM, llllll said:

I am forced to go to church on Christmas this year, may I ask you all how to escape from church?

 

Maybe you'll get a present?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, florduh said:

When I was a kid, being dragged to church only ONCE A YEAR would have been great! Sadly, I was dragged 2 or 3 times a week. And the annual camp meeting. Special programs. Yada yada yada.......

Yes, going only once a year would have been awesome. Instead it was Sunday, Wed and Fri and don't forget all those special occasions where it was 2-3 days in a row for many hours. Maybe it would have been more entertaining if I had been a kid who actually listened to the preacher, and maybe I would have come to my senses earlier as a result. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, llllll said:

It is my sister who said that it is a must to go to church on Christmas.

 

 

Find a Buddhist church. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Super Moderator
8 minutes ago, llllll said:

It is my sister who said that it is a must to go to church on Christmas.

Tell her she's full of shit. If for some reason you can't just say no, then be happy church for you comes only once a year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your family may use guilt and emotional blackmail to coerce you to attend church, however they can’t force you what to believe.

 

There are many secular charities that would be grateful for you to help at Christmas. You will then have a noble excuse not to attend church.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LostinParis said:

Your family may use guilt and emotional blackmail to coerce you to attend church, however they can’t force you what to believe.

 

There are many secular charities that would be grateful for you to help at Christmas. You will then have a noble excuse not to attend church.

 

Hey. 

Will you please name a few secular charities? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Anushka said:

 

Hey. 

Will you please name a few secular charities? 

 

I live in Australia so unfortunately I can’t help you. Perhaps a soup kitchen for the homeless?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Anushka said:

 

Hey. 

Will you please name a few secular charities? 


Here ya go: http://www.freethoughtpedia.com/wiki/Secular_charities

Be careful though. Some charities pay their CEOs over a half million annually. That rubs me the wrong way. Check them out on Charity Navigator or similar.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, older said:


Here ya go: http://www.freethoughtpedia.com/wiki/Secular_charities

Be careful though. Some charities pay their CEOs over a half million annually. That rubs me the wrong way. Check them out on Charity Navigator or similar.

 

Thank you :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, llllll said:

To top this off, I am a special needs person and have no way to escape.

 

As some of us have written above, escape in your mind.

 

I have sometimes thought that it would be fun to have a book the cover of which says "Holy Bible" and is bound like one, with pages that look like one, but the text of which is a good mystery with lots of graphic steamy sex in the plot. Such a book would be a great thing to take and read while sitting in the pews. No one would question your devotion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.