Sign in to follow this  
Guest llllll

Forced to go to church on Christmas

Guest llllll

I am forced to go to church on Christmas this year, may I ask you all how to escape from church?

Your best long-term strategy is to get far away from the people who are trying to force you to go to church..

• Like 6

I explained to my wife that I couldn't keep from laughing so it wouldn't be respectful to those who were there to worship.

But it sounds like your situation may be very different.  Perhaps you are under 18, live with your folks or else need them to pay for college?  That sort of thing makes it tricky.

• Like 3

Christmas is a long way away. Lots of things can happen between now and then.

A dependent minor has little choice in such things. Adults may simply say "no."

• Like 1

As Florduh writes, if you are a dependent minor, all you can do is go. But they can't control what's in your mind. Look at the event like a theater performance; a play about fantasy and the absurd. Take it in as if it was entertainment, even if it's a boring show. If there is a balcony, try to get a seat there so you can look down and count the bald heads.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, llllll said:

I think I will just hide from church

Can you tell us more?

13 hours ago, older said:

But they can't control what's in your mind. Look at the event like a theater performance; a play about fantasy and the absurd. Take it in as if it was entertainment, even if it's a boring show.

Yes, I had to do something similar...look at it like a learning experience, why do people believe this way? How does the brain work? etc...

But who will force you to go to church?  Why not just attend the service once a year?  It's the worst thing that can happen is that you will be board for three hours?  Occasionally I attend service and my challenge is to not laugh.  Usually I succeed.

When I was a kid, being dragged to church only ONCE A YEAR would have been great! Sadly, I was dragged 2 or 3 times a week. And the annual camp meeting. Special programs. Yada yada yada.......

On 5/25/2018 at 8:56 PM, llllll said:

I am forced to go to church on Christmas this year, may I ask you all how to escape from church?

Maybe you'll get a present?

1 hour ago, florduh said:

When I was a kid, being dragged to church only ONCE A YEAR would have been great! Sadly, I was dragged 2 or 3 times a week. And the annual camp meeting. Special programs. Yada yada yada.......

Yes, going only once a year would have been awesome. Instead it was Sunday, Wed and Fri and don't forget all those special occasions where it was 2-3 days in a row for many hours. Maybe it would have been more entertaining if I had been a kid who actually listened to the preacher, and maybe I would have come to my senses earlier as a result. 

I would probably use the experience an an intellectual exercise.  Deconstruct the sermon bit by bit in your mind and actively rebute it with your thoughts. 

Guest llllll

It is my sister who said that it is a must to go to church on Christmas.

1 minute ago, llllll said:

Find a Buddhist church. :)

8 minutes ago, llllll said:

Tell her she's full of shit. If for some reason you can't just say no, then be happy church for you comes only once a year.

Your family may use guilt and emotional blackmail to coerce you to attend church, however they can’t force you what to believe.

There are many secular charities that would be grateful for you to help at Christmas. You will then have a noble excuse not to attend church.

8 minutes ago, LostinParis said:

Your family may use guilt and emotional blackmail to coerce you to attend church, however they can’t force you what to believe.

There are many secular charities that would be grateful for you to help at Christmas. You will then have a noble excuse not to attend church.

Hey. 

Will you please name a few secular charities? 

2 minutes ago, Anushka said:

Hey. 

I live in Australia so unfortunately I can’t help you. Perhaps a soup kitchen for the homeless?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anushka said:

Hey. 

Here ya go: http://www.freethoughtpedia.com/wiki/Secular_charities

Be careful though. Some charities pay their CEOs over a half million annually. That rubs me the wrong way. Check them out on Charity Navigator or similar.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, older said:

Here ya go: http://www.freethoughtpedia.com/wiki/Secular_charities

Be careful though. Some charities pay their CEOs over a half million annually. That rubs me the wrong way. Check them out on Charity Navigator or similar.

Thank you :)

Guest llllll

To top this off, I am a special needs person and have no way to escape.

10 hours ago, llllll said:

To top this off, I am a special needs person and have no way to escape.

As some of us have written above, escape in your mind.

I have sometimes thought that it would be fun to have a book the cover of which says "Holy Bible" and is bound like one, with pages that look like one, but the text of which is a good mystery with lots of graphic steamy sex in the plot. Such a book would be a great thing to take and read while sitting in the pews. No one would question your devotion.