Goodbye Jesus

The Concept of Race has been turned on its head

LogicalFallacy

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/genetic-research-upends-the-concept-of-race/ar-AAxQca0?ocid=ientp

(This might have been posted before, but its still as interesting now as then)

I haven't managed to hunt down the actual scientific papers yet as I like to at least read the abstract of the source material for science reports. Help anyone?

Hmmm . . . the only new information in that article is in the first paragraph.  Okay they ran a test of Cheddar man.  The results are no surprise.

Race is only in the mind of a racist.  Put racist in a metropolitan western city and then humanity can be divided into White, Black, Asian, Indian and Muslim.  Put the racist in an all-white environment and then humanity can be divided into Scotts, Italian, Jews, Polish, German, Slav, and so on.  Race is whatever they need it to be in order to separate people into "us" and "the other".  Think a racist born in Japan sees everyone as Asian?  They don't.  Racists in Africa are killing each other because they don't see each other as Black but as different tribes I couldn't even name.  Race is in the mind.

I wouldn't be surprised if late stage Neanderthals had fair skin because they had been in Europe for quite a while.  I expect as much if any H. Erectus ranged north into Siberia.  

Genes can tell us where our ancestors came from – but not what they were like. “The problem with racial discrimination is not the inference of a person’s race from their genetic characteristics,” writes Mukherjee. “It is quite the opposite: it is the inference of a person’s characteristics from their race.”

There's a lot of "black" and "brown" people in the world, from diverse locations. I've seen Indian's who were as dark or darker than any African or African American. You have the south Pacific, Aboriginals, etc. All of these variants of black skinned people have different facial looks, and even hair style. I'm sure that's more or less what this British discovery is similar to. Probably something like an Aboriginal living in the British Isles. I've often thought about what the article is saying about Ape's having light skin under their coats of hair. We would have had to adapt dark skin after having been light skinned. Then adapt lighter skin again, in the northern regions. While in tropical area's dark skin remained. 

How is this going to affect the government? I've always had to fill out paperwork that asks me to list my race. On that list are options like Caucasian and so on, which is what I list myself as. Will this all have to be done away with in light of claims from genetics? 

23 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

How is this going to affect the government? I've always had to fill out paperwork that asks me to list my race. On that list are options like Caucasian and so on, which is what I list myself as. Will this all have to be done away with in light of claims from genetics? 

I don't expect that stuff to change ever.  Government forms are political.  They are unaffected by truth discovered through the scientific method.