Goodbye Jesus

Quotes as evidence

Flyby Stardancer

Now, obviously, in this section the bible's quoted a lot for evidence. However, when the ex-Christians us it, the Christians cry, "Foul!" They claim the quotes are taken out of context and mis-represented.

Now, from what I've noticed on the board, most everyone here has read the gosh-darned book and the rest of us can go and look up the passages online to find the context. It's one book and there are several sites that have the whole thing online, free of charge.

In contrast, when the topic of Creationism/Evolution comes up and Creationists pull their anti-evolution quotes from their favorite Creationist sites, it's A LOT harder to access the original documents that the quotes are from. There is no easy, free way to get at most of 'em. And in many/most cases, they are taken FAR more out of context than the bible supposedly is.

Case in point? On another forum I go to, a thread turned into a Creationist/Evolution debate. A fundie linked to a Creationist site, and even stated that he knew the science-y people there would rip it apart. And so one did, though he came across three quotes that he didn't have the sources for. I took it upon myself to try to look them up on the science databases my university gives access to students and faculty. (You need membership to get on thise online databases.) I managed to find an online text for one of them. The sentance the Creationist quoted was easy enough to find; it was the opening sentance. However, as I read the rest of the article (it was fairly short), I noticed that the entire article was about DISPROVING the opening sentance! :lmao:

Now, what's that about taking quotes out of context? :Hmm:

Now that is funny!

I find quote mining somewhat easy to debunk, of course, I have to be aware that they're quoting something, or else it's just another bad claim which I'll attempt to debunk the difficult way. If it's not listed at Talk-Origins, then a simple Google search will usually reveal the article (it's usually an article) from which the quote was taken.