Burnedout

UK: Tommy Robinson

This is BAD. What this tells me, is if Britain upholds this, there IS NO FREEDOM OF SPEECH OR THE PRESS.  If this happened in the US, I STRONGLY suspect the lives of the government people in charge of this would likely not be safe.  Not advocating for anything here, just calling it as I see it.  

Far-right demonstrators mass at the gates of Downing Street to demand EDL founder Tommy Robinson is released following his arrest for breaching the peace

Hundreds of Tommy Robinson supporters flocked to Downing Street on Saturday to demand the release of the far-right leader.

Robinson, 35, was arrested on suspicion of breaching the peace on Friday after he was seen filming outside a court house.

It has caused a furious backlash among his supporters who stormed Whitehall on Saturday to stage a protest. [Snipped]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5777821/Tommy-Robinson-far-right-supporters-protest-Downing-Street-arrest.html#ixzz5GoXgZ7Kd 

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

No. No. No. We can't talk about him, BO.  He's friends with Lauren Southern (who I believe got kicked out of the UK for speaking) and therefore is a rich white male supremacist right-wing Nazi nut job nationalist honky.

Nope! Can't talk about this... Sorry.

Hot topics... Snowflakes can't get close to these without melting.

• Haha 2

Meanwhile in the USA Trump is calling every news organisation that prints something less than favourable about him Fake News and hints at revoking media licences.

Lauren didn't get kicked out of the UK, she got denied entry for stirring up shit.

I agree with some of what they say, I don't particularly agree with their methods. They also over-inflate their case... but they are media personalities, we shouldn't expect less.

4 hours ago, Burnedout said:

Really scary stuff.  Goodbye England. You had a good run.

34 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Meanwhile in the USA Trump is calling every news organisation that prints something less than favourable about him Fake News and hints at revoking media licences.

This is me not taking the bait this time.  :)

7 minutes ago, duderonomy said:

But you nibbled...

You fucking nibbled.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Fweethawt said:

But you nibbled...

You fucking nibbled.

It was merely a sniff!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, duderonomy said:

That's not bait it's fact.

I think it's worrying the overall attacks on free speech from varying different sectors. 

1 minute ago, LogicalFallacy said:

That's not bait it's fact.

I think it's worrying the overall attacks on free speech from varying different sectors. 

I'm sorry. Did you say something?

36 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Lauren didn't get kicked out of the UK, she got denied entry for stirring up shit.

I agree with some of what they say, I don't particularly agree with their methods. They also over-inflate their case... but they are media personalities, we shouldn't expect less.

Ain't just Lauren & co.

I've heard about this from Tim Pool, Sargon of Akkad, Styxhexenhammer666 on Youtube as well as various people on Twitter.

Besides, it's not like Lauren & co just present it without evidence. She gave data like the time the court session took: some 27 minutes. Tommy was arrested on the same day just hours before the trial. There was no time for Tommy to plan a defence. That should sound concerning even if you're not for Tommy's politics.

Furthermore, Tommy's suspended sentence was 3 months but the judge slapped 10 extra on it. Why? I haven't heard any coherent reason.

For both of these concerns I've only heard lousy excuses from British justice system apologists who seem to be in denial judging by how swiftly moving goalposts I've witnessed.

Besides, there's a media gag order in place so Tommy's case cannot even be discussed in the UK for the time being. The reasons for that make some sense considering there was the same gag order on the case Tommy's crime touched on. Still, I wonder if it was really justified or necessary or just opportunism from the judge. No credible explanations for this.

I bet UK officials are currently busy trying to conjure up passable excuses. #FreeTommy protests have happened internationally and a petition has some 400k signatures which should indicate Tommy's fate concerns way more people than just EDL sympathizers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LogicalFallacy said:

You will never find where Trump is calling for censoring any news organization or jailing anybody for speaking their mind.  Nothing much different than what Obama did by derriding Fox News when he could.  Trump just does it more bombastically.  Lauran Southern would not be able to stirr people up if there was not already an underlying sentiment.  If not her, then it would be somebody else.  I would much rather have totally free speech even if people do get worked up.  Not the goverment to tell me how to think or what to say. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, duderonomy said:

Really scary stuff.  Goodbye England. You had a good run.

Erdogan supporters force removal of controversial magazine cover from French newsstand -- http://www.euronews.com/2018/05/28/erdogan-supporters-force-removal-of-controversial-magazine-cover-from-french-newsstand

23 minutes ago, Burnedout said:

You will never find where Trump is calling for censoring any news organization or jailing anybody for speaking their mind.  Nothing much different than what Obama did by derriding Fox News when he could.  Trump just does it more bombastically.  Lauran Southern would not be able to stirr people up if there was not already an underlying sentiment.  If not her, then it would be somebody else.  I would much rather have totally free speech even if people do get worked up.  Not the goverment to tell me how to think or what to say. 

This requires a longer response than I have time for right now, but I don' think stirring up underlying sentiments is the way to go. I think total free speech is fine up to the point that you are inciting people towards violence and hate. I think Tony (Or his real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon) is dangerously close to that line - if he hasn't crossed it already.

When governments resort to this kind of heavy handedness, this is a sign they are scared and about to lose control.  I say LET THEM LOSE CONTROL!  Let the people make it ungovernable for them.  Do not comply with them.  Harass the government officials, make their life a living HELL.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Burnedout said:

Good one, even if he cannot seem to help but advocate for his own little party. But it makes for a good example as well: the man has personal dislike for Tommy Robinson and I can well understand why, given Tommy's personality. Still, he does not gloat because he knows Tommy is the canary in the coalmine.

9 minutes ago, ToHellWithMe said:

Good one, even if he cannot seem to help but advocate for his own little party. But it makes for a good example as well: the man has personal dislike for Tommy Robinson and I can well understand why, given Tommy's personality. Still, he does not gloat because he knows Tommy is the canary in the coalmine.

My concern is that this action sets a precedent for future actions.  This HAS to be dealt with harshly.  A government that does this, where does it stop?  Those in charge must be made to pay a severe price and an example must be made of them.  

3 minutes ago, Burnedout said:

Those in charge must be made to pay a severe price and an example must be made of them.  

You mean like the judge if he has truly gone overboard like it would seem? I guess that would be nice, but I guess he will be compensated if he is made the fall guy who takes the stain and anger away from the establishment. Otherwise it would discourage other officials from following political directions that carry the risk of similar fate.

I'm a lib...I don't have to agree with what someone says, but I will defend his/her right to say it. That's what I was taught, years ago, in school. Of course following the rule/law that a person cannot "yell fire in a theater." Slander/lies are also not protected.

8 minutes ago, Ann said:

I'm a lib...I don't have to agree with what someone says, but I will defend his/her right to say it. That's what I was taught, years ago, in school. Of course following the rule/law that a person cannot "yell fire in a theater." Slander/lies are also not protected.

Actually in the United States slander and lies are protected to a considerable degree under the courts’ interpretation of the First Amendment.  And I agree that they should be.  Laws against slander and lies are typically how countries like Russia, Turkey and Venezuela can start evolving from democratic to autocratic rule.  

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/08/does-the-first-amendment-protect-deliberate-lies/496004/

The judge appears to have cancelled the press ban due to the case being discussed in the foreign medias anyway. Makes me wonder whether ordering it was necessary in the first place.

Now the UK media is discussing the case again, but at least the one article I read on the Independent calls the protesters "Supporters of the far-right figurehead". It also doesn't address concerns regarding the trial.

I've also heard that Tommy admitted his guilt of the charges during the speedy trial for some reason. This sounds foolish of him. Lauren Southern speculates or perhaps rather relays information from Tommy's confidants that this might be because Tommy wasn't given time to get a lawyer of his own and may have been advised badly by the court-assigned barrister.

There are also claims that the judge was a witness of Tommy's crime and therefore could not legally serve as a judge in the case. The evidence for this seems to be only a blurry photo, though, as far as I've seen.

On 5/28/2018 at 5:27 PM, Burnedout said:

When governments resort to this kind of heavy handedness, this is a sign they are scared and about to lose control.  I say LET THEM LOSE CONTROL!  Let the people make it ungovernable for them.  Do not comply with them.  Harass the government officials, make their life a living HELL.  

Yeah, this is vile, sick stuff, indeed. Scary!

• Like 1