Goodbye Jesus

What question could Christianity never answer for you?

Riven

8 hours ago, Riven said:

I hear you @offtheromanroad

This is actually one of the core issues that caused me to walk out the door. The very people that Jesus hung out with are demonized as "the other" in Western Christianity. It's sickening. I have trouble getting past the rage some days. Of course, I'm fresh off the turnip truck as they say, so I'm still raw.

Yes.. the "others" -- aka everybody that doesn't fit into their prefabricated Christian templates. I also never understood why certain Christians tend to see "the devil" in everything.

Maybe take those turnips and throw them away  I totally understand your anger. It's been a while for me, but at times, I am still angry. It's just so intolerant.... "Love the sinner, hate the sin, lalala." BS!

On 6/14/2018 at 1:45 PM, TruthSeeker0 said:

I was told the other day that I'm not to blame for the fact that I lost my belief, as the devil is to blame for that. Of course it wasn't said but it was implied that the devil now runs my life. 

I don't see how such logic can not fracture the basis of this friendship. I am not willing to take the judgement any longer. I'm only willing to surround myself with people who accept me without judgement clouding their vision. And yes it hurts, much more than I thought it would. It leaves me no space to share my life and who I have become. 

@TruthSeeker0 I relate to this SO much. I had (what I thought were) meaningful, close relationships in my church. When I left, so did the friendships. I would say I was shocked that happened, but I used to be one of them. I know why they don't want to associate with non-Christians in close friendships. It says a hell of a lot about them and the fear-based religion they are in. I would of still been friends, in a heartbeat. I'm not a shallow person, and yet I evidently had shallow friendships, easily dropped. It sucks.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, justaskingquestions said:

Why is God always labeled as a "just" God when he does categorically unjust things?

Bingo. So, the (circular reasoning) is this: God is not to be questioned. He is God. When he does horrible things like, oh, say... genocide...ordering murder.... then it's "righteous anger." When we do that, it's a sin. God doesn't make mistakes, ever, but we are failed human beings the minute we come out of the womb (original sin). We're screwed, and God is never wrong.

I am so glad I'm out of that manipulative mind-you-know-what. Good riddance.

8 hours ago, offtheromanroad said:

I also never understood why certain Christians tend to see "the devil" in everything.

You know, I have a theory about this.... I think it's got to be that Christianity operates and survives by teaching "black and white" thinking. Something is either "all good" or "all bad." Therefore, something is either "of God" or "of the Devil."  This stage of cognitive development is usually grown out of in early adolescence (although I do know some adults that operate this way). It's an immature way to view the world. But then again, Jesus did say that were to "be like little children." Mission accomplished.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Riven said:

@TruthSeeker0 I relate to this SO much. I had (what I thought were) meaningful, close relationships in my church. When I left, so did the friendships. I would say I was shocked that happened, but I used to be one of them. I know why they don't want to associate with non-Christians in close friendships. It says a hell of a lot about them and the fear-based religion they are in. I would of still been friends, in a heartbeat. I'm not a shallow person, and yet I evidently had shallow friendships, easily dropped. It sucks.

Tbh, I am the one that's no longer willing to make an effort with these friends even though some may be open to it. And I don't feel bad about it either. I find it impossible to even talk about my life now with these people. Their rules are so strict that everyday things in my life are "sin" to them. How can we relate? Why should I feel like I have to censor so much about my life? There is very little common ground. As sad as that is, it's time to find a support network where people accept me unconditionally for who I am. 

5 hours ago, Riven said:

You know, I have a theory about this.... I think it's got to be that Christianity operates and survives by teaching "black and white" thinking. Something is either "all good" or "all bad." Therefore, something is either "of God" or "of the Devil."  This stage of cognitive development is usually grown out of in early adolescence (although I do know some adults that operate this way). It's an immature way to view the world. But then again, Jesus did say that were to "be like little children." Mission accomplished.

Sounds reasonable.

Mrs MOHO is like that and it's so incredible embarrassing in public to hear her explain away negative events as the act of Satan or because this country has turned away from god. This is a grown woman for cry'n out LOUD!

If you guyz need me I'll be over here - under this rock.

• Haha 1