Sign in to follow this  
Geezer

Like ag_NO_stic I'm still here too.

I assure everyone I was not trying to outdo ag-NO-_stic in her recent escape from death.

In 2009 I was diagnosed with Vasovagal Syncope Syndrome. Basically that means under certain circumstances and conditions my heart will slow down so dramatically that I will lose consciousness.

There are a number of triggers listed for this condition. The two triggers that I seem most susceptible too are intense pain and dehydration. And I’m particularly susceptible to dehydration. I had a colonoscopy scheduled for this past Tuesday morning at 9 AM.

That Monday was prep day. I took the laxative as scheduled and made sure I drank all the prescribed liquids. I was supposed to take 5 eight ounce glasses of liquid between three o’clock and bedtime. I was supposed to take another laxative at 4 AM and drink three more eight ounce glasses of liquid before my scheduled 9AM appointment.

It has been years since I’ve had an episode of fainting and I had completely forgotten about my susceptibility to dehydration. I had one glass left to take when the urge hit me to go to the bathroom again. I’d been passing nothing but water for the last couple of hours before that. 

I’d been in the bathroom long enough that my wife became concerned. She called out to me to see if I was okay but I didn’t answer. She found me out cold on the bathroom floor. I was just waking up but I was delirious and had no idea where I was. I apparently lost consciousness and fell off the toilet. 

She called paramedics. My heart rate was 70 over 40 forty when they arrived. They got my feet up and put an IV in me. They wanted to take me to the emergency room but I assured them I was okay, fortunately my wife overruled me. The paramedics also called the doctor on call and he told them to take me to the ER.

The ER put two more IV’s in me and that got me stabilized. If the paramedics had been a few minutes later getting to me I would not have survived.

My medical condition was on the information I provided the doctor. I should have been told to be drinking 12 ounce gator aid bottles every fifteen minutes to avoid becoming dehydrated but I wasn’t told to do that. I strongly suspect no one ever read my medical history.

Anyway, I’m okay now. They cancelled my colonoscopy and at my age I have no intention of going through that prep again or having another colonoscopy. Just to confirm I didn't have an encounter with either Jesus or his dad. At least I don't remember it if I did. But then again I don't remember anything that happened after I went to the bathroom until I heard my wife on the phone calling 911. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Wow that's scary!

Seems as though that not only was Jesus/his dad not there, he/they didn't put the bug in your doctor's ear to read your medical history either.   I guess they were too busy looking for good parking spots at Walmart.   

I'm so glad you're doing okay now!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Glad you're okay.

You were never really gone. You were always in our hearts, minds, thoughts and prayers.

I think...

Did I say that right?

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Fweethawt said:

Glad you're okay.

You were never really gone. You were always in our hearts, minds, thoughts and prayers.

I think...

Did I say that right?

:yelrotflmao:

Hang in there 

Glad you're alright!

Now you have to stick around a bit longer. ;)

I'm glad you're alright. 

That's some scary stuff, @Geezer!  :toilet:

Glad you're OK.

Thanks guys. It was less than a month ago paramedics were here at our house rushing my wife to the hospital with chest pain. She had 95% blockage in an artery. The doctor did a heart cath and placed a stint. She's fully recovered now. 

Needless to say, we've become well known in the neighborhood. The same Firemen & Ambulance crew responded both times & they remembered us. My son is a fireman paramedic too, but he works for a different fire department. 

• Like 1

Hey Geezer

Very scary, glad you are ok.

If we were superstitious we'd say God is attempting to knock off our members what with BAA, Agnostic, you etc

Six years ago I was given five years to live and was waiting for a double lung and heart transplant.

I actually did die twice, but was revived.

Then one surgery later my heart returned to basically normal. Lungs are still a bit weak and will never be "normal", but otherwise I'm in pretty damn good health for a dead guy.

giphy.gif&f=1

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, ContraBardus said:

Six years ago I was given five years to live and was waiting for a double lung and heart transplant.

I actually did die twice, but was revived.

Then one surgery later my heart returned to basically normal. Lungs are still a bit weak and will never be "normal", but otherwise I'm in pretty damn good health for a dead guy.

giphy.gif&f=1

Wow! That puts things in perspective. I have no doubt you've inspired a lot of folks. And you can add me to that list. :3:

Glad you're doing alright buddy. 

Whew! Scary stuff, I'm glad you're doing okay now. 

21 hours ago, Ann said:

You don't have to almost die to get out of having a colonoscopy! A simple "no" would have worked;)

Glad you are still with us, and feeling better. Don't do that shit again! We'd miss you too much.

Literally ;D

Glad you're okay, Geezer. It was god's plan that you live so that you could tell everyone it wasn't his plan!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, ag_NO_stic said:

Literally ;D

Glad you're okay, Geezer. It was god's plan that you live so that you could tell everyone it wasn't his plan!

You had serious injuries I had a medical emergency. No comparison. So glad you survived. :woohoo:

3 hours ago, Burnedout said:

Geezer, just chalk it up to being to old and crotchety to die.  :)

True dat.  ;)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Geezer said:

You had serious injuries I had a medical emergency. No comparison. So glad you survived. :woohoo:

It's comparing apples to oranges, making a comparison irrelevant. :) No need to compare when we can both celebrate that we are alive. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been close to drowning at least twice. Close as in fighting to get to the surface, giving up the fight, and blacking out only to awake again floating and coughing out water. It's a panic at first, survival instinct. Then beyond that, a type of letting go. I have no recollection of the time I was out, no NDE at all. But having been to the range of near death, I understand that the fear factor is only part of the survival instinct part of the process, then it becomes something else entirely. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

I've been close to drowning at least twice. Close as in fighting to get to the surface, giving up the fight, and blacking out only to awake again floating and coughing out water. It's a panic at first, survival instinct. Then beyond that, a type of letting go. I have no recollection of the time I was out, no NDE at all. But having been to the range of near death, I understand that the fear factor is only part of the survival instinct part of the process, then it becomes something else entirely. 

I didn't have enough time to process my panic. I had a moment that simultaneously felt like a minute and about a milli-second where I registered that there was nothing I could do to stop what was about to happen and it was probably really going to hurt. 

• Like 1

Glad to hear you're OK. 

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.