Goodbye Jesus

Another Rant... Republianity.

Riven

Good rant.

One quibble: further to what MM said, "survival of the fittest" isn't even properly Darwinian. It's a misunderstanding of evolutionary principles. But this actually fits in with "republianity" even better.

17 minutes ago, MOHO said:

Thanx, @mymistake

In a dirty sort of way...I feel better now...

I was just doing a bit of ranting of my own.  My parents have lost their minds and see this guy like he is Saint Paul resurrected.  They live in a fantasy about it and do not want to hear anything that conflicts with their delusion that this guy is the greatest Christian who ever lived.  They don't even want to watch a video of Trump himself unless it was edited by Fox.  "Raw footage of the President?  Fake news!  Satan-worshiping liberals can't fool me!"  It gets under my skin since they want to see me or call every week and all they want to talk about is how wonderful current events are going.  To top it all off my parents think that "Well I don't believe that" is a magic phrase that refutes any fact.

:banghead:

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

I did the same. There's actually very few republican deconverts. Mostly libertarians, either conservative or liberal libertarians. I don't think you'd experience a big fall out for posting this rant. 

Same, here! But my family weren't so "religious" about it. My mom liked some democrats, as well.

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2018 at 9:34 AM, Riven said:

It's this rhetoric that was the final nail in the coffin for me. The crazy thing is that not only have the talking heads from that party all been repeating those same talking points, but so has the church, and now the congregants. Shallow theology for shallow people. In 25 years it went from, "pick the most godly man in the race" for our voting, to "everyone makes mistakes, looks at "x" (insert name) from the Bible." Really? So, I guess they'll be changing who can serve in leadership or be pastor, right? No? Such hypocrisy.  This is the church and everyone in it saying the the ends justify the means. I'm not sure where that Biblical principle is. :banghead:

Riven, it is called "selective grace".  Grace is given to the selected (Trump), while admonishment is given to the outgroup non-select (Obama).

Self serving and convenient, isn't it?  They have sold out to ends justify the means "Survivor" mentality.  They have made a poor bargain.  Short term glory, long run demise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, ConsiderTheSource said:

Riven, it is called "selective grace".  Grace is given to the selected (Trump), while admonishment is given to the outgroup non-select (Obama).

This is exactly what my Christian family did in 2016.  They would angrily list off the infractions (real or imagined) of one candidate who they would never forgive of anything.  When asked about the high crimes and felonies of the other candidate it was all about "Well that was the past.  He has changed now.  We all become new creatures in Christ".

Religion and politics should not be mixed.

On 6/9/2018 at 8:38 PM, ConsiderTheSource said:

Self serving and convenient, isn't it?  They have sold out to ends justify the means "Survivor" mentality.  They have made a poor bargain.  Short term glory, long run demise.

You bet it is! I'll give you a very practical example. My church KICKED a member of my worship team OFF THE TEAM because they had been married before. The poor guy was new, and this was his welcome to the fold. This is the SAME CHURCH where one of the deacons insisted another leader meet with the pastor, because he found out he was voting for the Democratic party. So, multiple marriages were excused for a political candidate, but not for a member who just wanted to serve god. It just got to be too much for me.

On 6/10/2018 at 10:35 AM, mymistake said:

This is exactly what my Christian family did in 2016.  They would angrily list off the infractions (real or imagined) of one candidate who they would never forgive of anything.  When asked about the high crimes and felonies of the other candidate it was all about "Well that was the past.  He has changed now.  We all become new creatures in Christ".

Religion and politics should not be mixed.

Exactly! Situational ethics.

• Sad 1