Sign in to follow this  
Joshpantera

16 Personalities, a follow up to L,R, or C

YOUR PERSONALITY TYPE IS:
LOGISTICIAN(ISTJ-T)
istj.png
This is all very interesting. Now give me the facts.
MIND
This trait determines how we interact with our environment.
Extraverted
Introverted
10%
90%
ENERGY
This trait shows where we direct our mental energy.
Intuitive
Observant
34%
66%
NATURE
This trait determines how we make decisions and cope with emotions.
Thinking
Feeling
67%
33%
TACTICS
This trait reflects our approach to work, planning and decision-making.
Judging
Prospecting
88%
12%
IDENTITY
This trait underpins all others, showing how confident we are in our abilities and decisions.
Assertive
Turbulent
49%

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What personality type are you if you think this sort of test (Myers Briggs) is just bullshit akin to astrology?

mwc

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, mwc said:

What personality type are you if you think this sort of test (Myers Briggs) is just bullshit akin to astrology?

mwc

The type not convinced of its merits?

Based on the many interactions I have of people, and the reasonable accuracy at which you can predict what type of person someone may be, it seems to be more valid than astrology.

You only have to look at where @TruthSeeker0 and I differ to see that it has some, if not great, validity. I'm a thinker that's the (T) portion. TS is a feeling person (F) and believe you me during our interactions it shows!

3 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

It's too bad we don't have a chart for this one. It would be interesting to make one. 

I've been thinking about it bud. Wait for a few more peeps to post results.

I was going to try and plot it alongside  the political graph and see if we can get a correlation.  

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Based on the many interactions I have of people, and the reasonable accuracy at which you can predict what type of person someone may be, it seems to be more valid than astrology.

You only have to look at where @TruthSeeker0 and I differ to see that it has some, if not great, validity. I'm a thinker that's the (T) portion. TS is a feeling person (F) and believe you me during our interactions it shows!

You're right.  I'm not convinced.  Under the criticisms for it at it's Wikipedia page you'll find this great quote: "Most personality psychologists regard the MBTI as little more than an elaborate Chinese fortune cookie ..."  So I guess I was wrong in comparing it to astrology.

If you don't like the criticisms just read the section on "type dynamics."  The first couple of paragraphs kind of sum up the whole thing (before going on to explain it anyhow).

mwc

8 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

@mwcI would have written off @LogicalFallacyas a friend a long time ago if we wouldn't have started to discuss personality differences and differences in thinking/analysis vs feeling because we have disagreed on several things. That being said, I don't even think one can just say F people are all "feeling", that oversimplifies it, its that they place higher priority on emotional spheres and thinking of how these play out in society. And this is where I think thinkers get it wrong: it's not just "I or someone else doesn't like this, it hurts our feelings, so it can't be allowed," it's more like "this will have real emotional repercussions on people, and maybe many of them, and therefore societal consequences that are detrimental."

I can give you an example. We talk about free speech. So, does bullying qualify as free speech then? Is a thinker going to say the the bully has a right to voice their opinion? As a feeler, I'm going to get concerned about bullying and the effect it has on people, and real life consquences, such as those taking their own lives due the severe emotional damage that can result from this.

I'm going to tag @Joshpanterahere too, who apparently wants to discuss personality differences, perhaps it should it be done here rather than the other thread?

Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 7.01.52 PM.png

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

It's too bad we don't have a chart for this one [re: tolerance]. It would be interesting to make one. 

It's possible one or more of the big five personality traits would be associated with various political views. I'm not familiar with any research on the topic though. In any case, it's the psychological profiling tool that's the most likely to be used in studies on this sort of question, so that's where I'd look.

You're right, they've just re-used the MBTI initials. My bad.

Edit: I'm not sure I'd extend a halo of validity over their type system just because they're using Big 5 under the hood though. Although I tend to be at least modestly skeptical of personality profiling like this in general. Which isn't to say that I don't think there's a biological basis to personality. I just think people are prone to try to infer too much from the categorizations.

Executive ....... And that is probably why I was self employed.  I definitely like being the boss. ;) 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mwc said:

mwc

What if anyone has friends or family that believe in astrology? That could be viewed as an inflammatory remark! You need to be more careful when walking on egg shells mwc. 

6 hours ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

I can give you an example. We talk about free speech. So, does bullying qualify as free speech then? Is a thinker going to say the the bully has a right to voice their opinion? As a feeler, I'm going to get concerned about bullying and the effect it has on people, and real life consquences, such as those taking their own lives due the severe emotional damage that can result from this.

I'm going to tag @Joshpanterahere too, who apparently wants to discuss personality differences, perhaps it should it be done here rather than the other thread?

Does bullying qualify as free speech IMO? Verbal bullying is one thing, physical bullying is another from my perspective. We've already gotten into the context of government or systemic issues and basic social issues. So I assume we're not talking on the systemic or government level. There's not a lot of speech that I would want to censor, if that's the question.

In fact, I'm going to have think about something for a while. I wonder is there's any speech at all, anything, that I would want censored. Off the cuff, I can't think of one instance. But I'll spend a little time letting this go and see if I come up with something.  

Surely we're all used to our friends and family being morans 😋

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

@mwcI would have written off @LogicalFallacyas a friend a long time ago if we wouldn't have started to discuss personality differences and differences in thinking/analysis vs feeling because we have disagreed on several things. That being said, I don't even think one can just say F people are all "feeling", that oversimplifies it, its that they place higher priority on emotional spheres and thinking of how these play out in society. And this is where I think thinkers get it wrong: it's not just "I or someone else doesn't like this, it hurts our feelings, so it can't be allowed," it's more like "this will have real emotional repercussions on people, and maybe many of them, and therefore societal consequences that are detrimental."

Aw, why would you write off LF?  He's a good guy (although it's questionable on whether he really exists or not but that's a different issue).  Though I do recall him claiming to be a ginger.  My sister is a ginger.  That I guess that does make him evil.  So I can understand. ;)

I think that it's tricky when talking about speech.  I don't care for limits on speech.  Just look at chilling effects.  It stops people from speaking out.  That's a bad thing.  Having people silenced about talking about their own rights.  That's a bad thing.  But to some that's a good thing.  They don't wish to hear it.  They find that sort of speech dangerous and destructive.

I almost like it when people speak their "hate" in the open.  I'm now aware of it.  I can learn of them and their bias.  If this speech is suppressed it doesn't disappear but it goes underground.  I might not be aware of it but it certainly exists.  And when it does rear it's ugly head I'm woefully unprepared for it.  If people are open about the way they are then I can better educate myself and prepare.  Or that's my attitude.

I don't know where the lines should be.  We don't yell "fire" in theaters.  We can't say certain things at TSA checkpoints.  But if we start to place too many words/ideas as off-limits they may wind up as "sacred" objects when they don't deserve to be elevated to special status.  Making everything mundane keeps that from happening.

mwc

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrueScotsman said:

I would like to get to the actual ideas with all the unnecessary inflammatory element do such ideas can actually be discussed appropriately.  

And I just got through talking the other day to someone about free speech and how there is a dark side to it. There are consequences for being able to use inflammatory free speech with other different personalities. We know that everyone has a different personality and trying to understand any personality is where a huge amount of communication comes in. And ya have to try and do it without fighting. It's why many relationships do not work.

Of course, there are all kinds of different personalities  ( I think mwc may feel this is woo-woo and I say that with love! :lol:) but these tests are not voodoo in my opinion. When I did mine and answered all those questions, it hit dead on for me.

So any name calling really hurts me. A lot. I feel when name calling and sometimes horrible name calling comes out in peoples arguments it can be devastating to a lot of people who just want to get you to see their point of view. And I believe that mature discussions be done without all the horrible name calling. 

It hurt so much to see the members on this board and what they were doing to each other that I had to leave for awhile. Why would I want to come here and see some of the terrible things you guys were saying to each? It's supposed to be a place where we can actually talk about the things of the world as

non-believers now. It was devastating and depressing enough deconverting from the christian god. I want to live a positive life and not be around all the fighting.

I love open-minded discussions. I like seeing all the different points of view. My heart broke for all of you because I know you all have your different opinions and would also love to have some great discussions here on this site. This place used to be family for me. So when my type of personality sees all your types of personalities fighting against each other, it breaks my heart cause I am a softie. And I know that some of you probably don't even like me cause I am too soft cause I'm a wussy. So as hard as it is to understand a 'softie' personality, I have an equally hard time understanding a hardcore personality that doesn't seem to care about how they come across. But I am trying and I think this thread is amazing because it is time for all of us to try and at least learn about each other's personality so we can all get along a bit better with each other. Without all the harsh name calling and hurtful attacks. Yes, I do think there is a very dark side to free speech.

There. I said it. Ban me if you must! 

Love and (hugs) to each and every one of you! 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Margee said:

And I just got through talking the other day to someone about free speech and how there is a dark side to it. There are consequences for being able to use inflammatory free speech with other different personalities. We know that everyone has a different personality and trying to understand any personality is where a huge amount of communication comes in. and ya have to try and do it without fighting. It's why many relationships do not work.

Of course, there are all kinds of different personalities  ( I think mwc may feel this is woo-woo and I say that with love! :lol:) but these tests are not voodoo in my opinion. When I did mine and answered all those questions, it hit dead on for me.

So any name calling really hurts me. A lot. I feel when name calling and sometimes horrible name calling comes out in peoples arguments it can be devastating to a lot of people who just want to get you to see their point of view. And I believe that it can be done without all the horrible name calling. 

It hurt so much to see the members on this board and what they were doing to each other that I had to leave for awhile. Why would I want to come here and see some of the terrible things you guys were saying to each? My heart broke for all of you because I know you all have your different opinions and would love to have some great discussions here on this site. This place used to be family for me. So when my type of personality sees all your types of personalities fighting against each other, it breaks my heart cause I am a softie. And I know that some of you probably don't even like me cause I am too soft cause i'm a wussy. So as hard as it is to understand a 'softie' personality, I have an equally hard time understanding a hardcore personality that doesn't seem to care about how they come across. But I am trying and I think this thread is amazing because it is time for all of us to try and at least learn about each other's personality so we can all get along a bit better with each other. Without all the harsh name calling and hurtful attacks.

There. I said it. Ban me if you must! 

Love and (hugs) to each and everyone of you! 

You have said it so well, and so bravely, and thanks for saying it as this is how it is for me too. All us softies want is for people to be treated with some basic dignity and respect, and the name calling can be left out of it, as it does hurt people. I myself am one of those people that knows, if it was directed towards me, I would leave, and leave quickly. I'm not able to participate in some of the debate with hard core personalities who don't really know or care how they are coming across.

In this world, it's important to understand other people, and where they are coming from. It's just as important as it is to debate ideas and theories. If human relationships are to have value, we should make an attempt to understand each other first instead of finger pointing, insulting, and belittling each other.

16 minutes ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

You have said it so well, and so bravely, and thanks for saying it as this is how it is for me too. All us softies want is for people to be treated with some basic dignity and respect, and the name calling can be left out of it, as it does hurt people. I myself am one of those people that knows, if it was directed towards me, I would leave, and leave quickly. I'm not able to participate in some of the debate with hard core personalities who don't really know or care how they are coming across.

In this world, it's important to understand other people, and where they are coming from. It's just as important as it is to debate ideas and theories. If human relationships are to have value, we should make an attempt to understand each other first instead of finger pointing, insulting, and belittling each other.

I also have had the more aggressive type of personalities in my life (quite a few actually) and when they get too aggressive with me, it brings out my dark side and I am like a totally different person. Someone I don't want to be.... the bitch from hell.  :fdevil: .....but.... when that happens, I always feel bad that I came back with just as much aggressiveness. So people must never believe that a 'softie' can be constantly walked on. We will break at some point and you be at the end of our poison. (Yes. Softies can be poisonous!!)  But I sure don't like it when someone has the ability to bring out the worst in me. 

3 minutes ago, Margee said:

I also have had the more aggressive type of personalities in my life (quite a few actually) and when they get too aggressive with me, it brings out my dark side and I am like a totally different person. Someone I don't want to be.... the bitch from hell.  :fdevil: .....but.... when that happens, I always feel bad that I came back with just as much aggressiveness. So people must never believe that a 'softie' can be constantly walked on. We will break at some point and you be at the end of our poison. But I sure don't like it when someone has the ability to bring out the worst in me. 

Ahh, I believe you are talking about the 'will fight back in highly irrational ways' part, which is all too true. I also have a nasty side. Some people more than others bring it out, and I detest it. I try to let the better angels win ;) It doesn't always work.

40 minutes ago, Margee said:

This place used to be family for me. So when my type of personality sees all your types of personalities fighting against each other, it breaks my heart cause I am a softie. And I know that some of you probably don't even like me cause I am too soft cause I'm a wussy.

I'm sorry, and that's not true at all. I have always thought positively about you for as long as I've been posting here. I'm sorry if my role in the arguing contributed to making you uncomfortable about reading the forums. I don't know why I get so serious about these discussions sometimes. There's underlying factors involved. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

I'm sorry, and that's not true at all. I have always thought positively about you for as long as I've been posting here. I'm sorry if my role in the arguing contributed to making you uncomfortable about reading the forums. I don't know why I get so serious about these discussions sometimes. There's underlying factors involved. 

Thanks Josh. That's so kind of you to say. Please, you don't have to apologize. I can take it when someone doesn't like me. I'm a big girl. I am a realist and I know that everyone cannot like all the people all the time. Most of the time, I try to stick to the other topics that are of interest to me. And I love to have fun! We used to make the most foolish posts and there were nights when I would sit here and laugh my guts out at the computer. It just seemed for a while that every thread was ending up in heated, never-ending battles. And again, I say, I don't mind a heated battle except when it starts to get degrading. I know that people love to have a good argument. I guess I'm just the type that would rather have peace than be 'right'. There is so much trouble and frustration in the world right now, I sometimes wonder if we're all ''stressed to the nines''?

(hug)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Margee said:

And again, I say, I don't mind a heated battle except when it starts to get degrading. I know that people love to have a good argument. I guess I'm just the type that would rather have peace than be 'right'. There is so much trouble and frustration in the world right now, I sometimes wonder if we're all ''stressed to the nines''?

Neither do I, for that matter, (I love a good debate) but that's us INFJs all the way, even in heated battle there should be no mankee flinging, as it has been termed here (was it LF that invented that, is that a kiwi term?). It's love and compassion all the way with us softies, so it's hard to watch when the nastiness comes out. (I can add to that, that that if anything is letting your emotions get control of you!) A little kindness and respect and attempts to understand the person you're conversing with instead of generalizing and compartmentalizing goes a long way in conversation.

@Margee As someone who is a bit 'hard' and puts less stock in emotions (As is pointed out to me... :) ) I actually love seeing your posts and such kindness and wisdom you display. So far from not liking you, perhaps I appreciate you more because I am the opposite? I guess we less feelie types are just really bad at expressing that we do actually appreciate and value people here.

Regarding the personality conversation. @mwc and @wellnamed have suggested there is little basis to think these tests actually have merit. So I was wondering if environment had an impact on how hard or soft we are, or a feeler or a thinker? My family, and father in particular is a lot like me, but worse. Like hard, judgmental, my way or hell etc. But he also does think about stuff a bit like me. Perhaps a correlation there?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

What if anyone has friends or family that believe in astrology? That could be viewed as an inflammatory remark! You need to be more careful when walking on egg shells mwc. 

That almost tells me more about others personalities as opposed to my own.

mwc

6 hours ago, TrueScotsman said:

There are many places to become aware of just how dark some beliefs are, Brietbart or 4Chan are good places to start.  I like to regularly encounter beliefs I don't agree with and generally find discussions with people I totally agree with somewhat boring.  I would like to get to the actual ideas with all the unnecessary inflammatory element do such ideas can actually be discussed appropriately.  

Perhaps.  I don't like to frequent those places though.  I tend to wander these halls.  It also is enlightening, for me, to see how folks in these parts think as opposed to those ones "over there" might be thinking.

mwc

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Regarding the personality conversation. @mwc and @wellnamed have suggested there is little basis to think these tests actually have merit. So I was wondering if environment had an impact on how hard or soft we are, or a feeler or a thinker? My family, and father in particular is a lot like me, but worse. Like hard, judgmental, my way or hell etc. But he also does think about stuff a bit like me. Perhaps a correlation there?

It goes beyond me.  Psychology Today.  It says it's essentially usable as a tool for "self-reflection."  To show how people vary in their personalities.  That's not really too helpful unless you're totally unaware of such a thing.  If you self-report who you are and the test essentially spits that back to you then maybe you'll gain some insight then you can see how there are people that are different than you while you're at it.

What's funny (to me at least) is I just did a few searches for this post and found this Quora.  The person who answers it, a practicing psychiatrist, mentions astrology just as I did.

I don't recall my teacher in psych way back in the stone ages having much love for this sort of thing either but I figure that's not all that relevant but worth a mention since I'm at it.

mwc

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.