Our DIL moved into hospice

Our DIL's eleven year battle with cancer is coming to an end. She was moved into hospice yesterday. Our son and grandson are having a tough time with this. They had their 29th anniversary this year. She is 49, and way too young to be leaving us. Our grandson is 25 and still single.

Her church family has responded and they have been most helpful. This sort of thing is the one thing the church does well. It's a waiting game now..

My son was on a submarine and she was a corpsman on a sub tender. That's how they met. She was in the Navy for 15 years and was an E6 when she left the Navy. We're having a military funeral for her. 

My son is a Lt with the fire dept & a paramedic first responder. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 7

Oh man, I’m so sorry!  I hope it helps just a tiny bit to know we care.  Keep us updated as you can. 

Something like this, coming out of the blue as far as I am concerned, reminds me of some of the best advice I’ve ever read: you never know what the people you encounter are going through, so be kind, and be patient. I try to remember that every day. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Moderator

I am so very sorry.  Eleven years fighting the battle -- she has been a strong, courageous woman.    ((hugs))

• Like 1

Sorry to read this Geezer. I have no words to say that could possibly help in this situation, but I hope it ends as well as it could possibly end.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, buffettphan said:

I am so very sorry.  Eleven years fighting the battle -- she has been a strong, courageous woman.    ((hugs))

Indeed she has. She was every active in the cancer community fund raising for research and she was on local TV several times promoting cancer awareness & support groups. She is indeed a courageous warrior. She was originally given 2 years to live. She told her doctor she had a 20 year plan...she made it to 11. She is one hell of a lady and we couldn't be more proud of her. I have no doubt she is an inspiration to many fighting the battle. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Geezer said:

Our DIL's eleven year battle with cancer is coming to an end. She was moved into hospice yesterday. Our son and grandson are having a tough time with this. They had their 29th anniversary this year. She is 49, and way too young to be leaving us. Our grandson is 25 and still single.

Her church family has responded and they have been most helpful. This sort of thing is the one thing the church does well. It's a waiting game now..

My son was on a submarine and she was a corpsman on a sub tender. That's how they met. She was in the Navy for 15 years and was an E6 when she left the Navy. We're having a military funeral for her. 

My son is a Lt with the fire dept & a paramedic first responder. 

Sorry to hear that, Sir.

• Like 1

Geezer, I'm really sorry man. That just sucks. I hate hearing bad news like this. The boys are going to have endure a long road of emotional recovery following this. It took me over decade to get past my sister's death. And I hate seeing other people face down similar situations, knowing how hard it will be. 

• Like 2

@Geezer,

I am very sorry to hear that your daughter-in-law is nearing the end of her journey. It sounds like she made a tremendous impact on a part of the world in her not nearly long enough time. 

• Like 3

Geezer,

That folded flag will do nothing to replace her presence courage kindness and love for Family and Nation.

I do so salute her not for a brave finish but one hellova race run knowing its bitter end, spreading hope adding grit to those also in this never ending fucking war.

In tears amigo. Lost my Mom early on to cancer, know s o m e of the agony and acceptance to what is happening with close Family and kin. 

You have honored me by sharing your life and hers even at these final days.

kevinL

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, SkipNChurch said:

Geezer,

That folded flag will do nothing to replace her presence courage kindness and love for Family and Nation.

I do so salute her not for a brave finish but one hellova race run knowing its bitter end, spreading hope adding grit to those also in this never ending fucking war.

In tears amigo. Lost my Mom early on to cancer, know s o m e of the agony and acceptance to what is happening with close Family and kin. 

You have honored me by sharing your life and hers even at these final days.

kevinL

All I can say is ditto to Kevin's eloquent statement.

• nivek pinned this topic

Hi Geezer

I am so sorry to hear this. Cancer is one of the most horrible and insidious of diseases. 

My sympathies to you and your family. 

3 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Hi Geezer

I am so sorry to hear this. Cancer is one of the most horrible and insidious of diseases. 

My sympathies to you and your family. 

Thank you. 

Our DIL's battle with cancer ended on 06/15/18 @ 4:48 AM. She was deeply loved and she has left a hole in our hearts that can never be filled. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, Geezer said:

Our DIL's battle with cancer ended on 06/15/18 @ 4:48 AM. She was deeply loved and she has left a hole in our hearts that can never be filled. 

Man, I am so, so sorry!  My heart goes out to you, to your son and grandson, and to all whose hearts are broken today.  

28 minutes ago, Geezer said:

I'm very sorry Geezer. I truly am. 

• Super Moderator

I'm so sorry.  Even when it's expected, it still hurts like hell.   Hugs to you and your family and to all who loved your DiL.

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind words guys. My family appreciates your words of encouragement. 

Sorry for you loss, Geezer. Words seem so inadequate at these times. Just know that we support you and your family in what you are going through.

• Like 1

Geezer,

Thank you for mention of her loss.  

Her legacy will continue throughout her schooling, Navy enlistment, family and those she loved most.

'tis my hope that her 20 year plan gives hope to those  whom she touched, entered a possibility of a better quality life.

Thank you all for allowing this lil Community permission into lives and conundrum of in this time. An honor to be able share even such this light bit.

kevinL

• Like 2

Sorry to hear this Geezer. My deepest condolences to you and your family.

Wow I was late to seeing this thread. Very sorry to hear about your loss, Geezer.

3 minutes ago, yunea said:

Wow I was late to seeing this thread. Very sorry to hear about your loss, Geezer.

Thank you. Her funeral is this afternoon. The turnout last night at the funeral home was nothing short of amazing. She lived a full life and had a tremendous impact on a lot of people. She was active in support of cancer research and support for those with cancer. She was a motivational speaker for others battling cancer. She appeared on local TV several times to encourage those suffering with cancer.

She & my son coached both boys & girls high school trap shooting teams and won some State Championships. We lost her much too early. She was 49 when the cancer took her, but she  left a legacy for those suffering from this horrid disease. She was an amazing lady, a loving wife, and a devoted mother. 

• Like 3

I am sorry for your loss, Geezer.

Sounds like she was an amazing woman!

• Like 2
  • nivek pinned this topic
  • nivek unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.