Sign in to follow this  
ag_NO_stic

90% of animals appeared at same time?

Absolute positive proof that Genesis is correct. God definitely did it! Yeah, God did it! ^_^ 

Excuse me, I must go now & repent for my sin of unbelief. Thank you for posting this amazing proof that God really did do it!  

• Haha 1

They weren't claiming that all species of life arose from nothing 200K years ago, but that they arose via evolution from a common surviving mitochondrial genetic pool (not all the same exact species, but all having the same core building blocks). Nuclear DNA varies greatly and is inherited from every last ancestor an animal ever had. Mitochondrial DNA is more set as-is, and is passed down from mother to mother and drive the very basic motor of taking in energy and supplying that to cells "Their prime function is to take in the sugars that have been converted from the food we eat, and turn them into a form of energy that cells can use."

This comment summed it up well:

"This article's headline is hilariously, irresponsibly inaccurate. The authors of this study don't conclude anything resembling the "90% of species appeared within the past 200,000 years" nonsense that this article conjures from thin air. It is effectively concluding that most animals have had a "mitochondrial Eve" in the past 200,000 years (that is, an ancestor from whom all modern individuals of that **already extant** species have inherited their mitochondrial genomes). Don't get your science news from unreliable news sources, folks."

Link to the study: https://phe.rockefeller.edu/news/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Stoeckle-Thaler-Final-reduced.pdf. The magazine article mostly arises from the final pages of the study. I think it is saying that ALL of the already varied species that survived the world devastation and the last ice age had a common set of mitochondrial DNA, and that from that small pool of survivors, all that we see today expanded and adapted.

"However, one should not as a first impulse seek a complex and multifaceted explanation for one of the clearest, most data rich and general facts in all of evolution. The simple hypothesis is that the same explanation offered for the sequence variation found among modern humans applies equally to the modern populations of essentially all other animal species. Namely that the extant population, no matter what its current size or similarity to fossils of any age, has expanded from mitochondrial uniformity within the past 200,000 years."

But I think that also implies that they shared this previously even with those that were destroyed by cataclysm, since it isn't likely that there were several mechanisms that arose from the first kinds of life, but rather branching using the same building blocks of mitochondrial dna, and then speciation resulting from the nuclear DNA variations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Fuego said:

This comment summed it up well:

"This article's headline is hilariously, irresponsibly inaccurate. The authors of this study don't conclude anything resembling the "90% of species appeared within the past 200,000 years" nonsense that this article conjures from thin air. It is effectively concluding that most animals have had a "mitochondrial Eve" in the past 200,000 years (that is, an ancestor from whom all modern individuals of that **already extant** species have inherited their mitochondrial genomes).  

Wouldn't that mean that these species also nearly went extinct, the way humans almost did?  It would be interesting to see if all these genetic bottlenecks happened around the same time.  If so that would be evidence that life almost died out.

16 hours ago, mymistake said:

Wouldn't that mean that these species also nearly went extinct, the way humans almost did?  It would be interesting to see if all these genetic bottlenecks happened around the same time.  If so that would be evidence that life almost died out.

Anything that couldn't adapt to the conditions of the planet would have died out. Temperature, light, availability of breathable air, water and food, presence of predators or diseases, etc.

• Thanks 1

So, I'll ask it before someone else does......where does the flood come into this? Do I think the biblical flood happened? No.....but something happened that inspired a bunch of people to make their own flood stories lol.

Also, I apologize if that's a dumbass question. I'm a dumbass with evolution and am working to rectify the situation by sifting through all the stuff there is to read about lol

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fuego said:

Anything that couldn't adapt to the conditions of the planet would have died out. Temperature, light, availability of breathable air, water and food, presence of predators or diseases, etc.

Yes of course, but what I means is that at a genetic bottleneck most of a species can't adapt and die out.  A small fraction of a species have the required DNA to adapt and survive.

For example people are creating a genetic bottleneck right now for weeds and insects.  Humans spray to control weeds and bugs.  Our herbicides and pesticides are over 99% effective.  But there is that occasional organism that had just the right DNA to survive the spraying.  And slowly we find more and more of new generations of weeds and bugs are immune to our spray.

I think something similar happened for humans like 60k years ago and perhaps 200k years ago where volcanos (or something) almost wiped us out.  Just wondering if other species developed a genetic bottleneck from the same event.

I don't think I'm genetically resistant to volcanoes... 🙂

I guess it would be hard to say about the bottleneck without actual data, which likely doesn't exist at this point.

The superbug thing is real, where the germs develop resistance to our drugs. The ants are still easily controlled with liquid borax and pyrethrins, not sure about fire ants (don't have them in the PNW).

• Thanks 1

That was my take on it, though I may not have said it so clearly. If we all started from the same spot, it makes sense we'd share the same basic mechanism. Then after considerable nuclear genetic diversity, WHAM! Those that are left over didn't spring into being, but survived and adapted.

On 6/11/2018 at 11:00 AM, ag_NO_stic said:

So, I'll ask it before someone else does......where does the flood come into this? Do I think the biblical flood happened? No.....but something happened that inspired a bunch of people to make their own flood stories lol.

Also, I apologize if that's a dumbass question. I'm a dumbass with evolution and am working to rectify the situation by sifting through all the stuff there is to read about lol

I read somewhere that it was likely there was a regional flood, and since the region was their "world", that's how it entered legend. Can't remember the source.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.