Goodbye Jesus

The fine American tradition of lemonade stands is under threat

Fweethawt

I can't believe this... Kids have to have a permit costing over a hundred bucks and apparently much more in certain areas -- just to have a lemonade stand.

https://qz.com/1300935/country-time-lemonade-is-protecting-kids-lemonade-stands-from-the-law/

Lemonade stands are the ultimate symbol of American entrepreneurship. They represent both the ingenuity and free-market mindset of this country’s young people. They’re even recommended by doctors as a way to get kids outdoors and exercising their imagination.

But this tradition, once the hallmark of many American summers, is increasingly at risk. Just last week (May 30), police officers in Denver, Colorado, shut down a young boy’s lemonade stand, which was raising money for charity, because the boy didn’t have a $125-a-day permit. In 2015, police in Overton, Texas, shut down a lemonade stand run by Andria Green, 8, and her sister Zoey, 7, because the two girls lacked a “peddler’s permit,” which costs $150—leading one commentatorto conclude, “When life gives you lemons—quick, hide them from the cops!” And in June 2011, during the US Open golf tournament, officials in Montgomery County, Maryland, fined kids $500 each for their lemonade stand (the fine was later rescinded).

• Sad 1

Same for the "Farmer's Market" locally, except that they cordon off a city street and sell their stuff, so the city wants to make at least $100 from each stand. That makes it not profitable for most of those who would otherwise set up stands. The city could vote to do a waiver, but they don't want to. It seems to be a trend where if you have money, then you can make more. If you don't, fuck you.

Somewhere along the line we moved from being sensible folks to controlled. I remember seeing the start of this when I was a kid, where a kid "entrepreneur" was threatened with legal action for not having other permits like food handler and so on. Most of us know there is an inherent risk of buying food made by a kid, but that gov't actually enforces code against them is weird and excessive. If it turns into a real business, then sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Of all the fucked up shit kids/teens do that the government turns a blind eye to -- they come down the hardest on the few that are staying out of trouble and trying to make a couple of honest bucks.

Fucking assholes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Paid a young gent to clean what is left of my back yard.  Capone, a huge 125usp+ Rottie we fostered for year-odd manged to EAT my sprinkle system.  No, you do not understand dear reader! Pony was never trained to not find China via multiple holes bored into rocky eastern Oregon soil. 

Two seasons after Pony went to 5k acres of horse ranch with his new buddies back yard was a dangerous warzone of holes from his and my mini-mutt Heidi. Weeds, grass, dogshit hidden under same all dried to one perfect fuckup.

OK. What does this do with OP? Kid on local taterBook page was hunting work to pay for his football gear.  Requested he come by and lay down a quote for just bringing everything, clutter, growth, assorted thing mutts tried to tear up, fill holes.  He and his Dad conferred came back gave me a price that blew me away.  Told his Dad if he could haul junk, my trailer or his I'd double up asking price and bonus them out for job done in two Saturdays.

Best goddamn three hundred usd's spent in a long time.  Dad and Junior went to work that afternoon, by next weekend back yard while still brown and broken was walkable and clutterless.

First I couldn't find a "commercial concern" who would do this multi-faceted shitty job of cleaning up after my project messes and farked yard mismanagement.  Two cash went right to Jr's pocket, an equitable trade between people was done.  And hell yes I'm pleased with "product".

I see from OP that any "kid" with a sense of nascent work ethic and desire to see geld cross their palms is being browbeaten fined and chastised out of business by 'dem daats no'es bett'r dem'.

More power to those kids.  Fuck the State.

kL

daPony in my F-150...

0517121932.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pony is aptly named! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SkipNChurch said:

Capone, a huge 125usp+ Rottie we fostered for year-odd manged to EAT my sprinkle system.  No, you do not understand dear reader! Pony was never trained to not find China via multiple holes bored into rocky eastern Oregon soil. 

My barber has a huge Rott. He came home from work one day to find little bits and pieces of his couch all over his house.

... wooden frame bits and all.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, MOHO said:

Pony is aptly named! 

I thought it was Capone? Or is Pony short for Capone?

• Haha 2

One thing is for sure though, from now on until the day that I die, if I ever see a young kid outside with a lemonade stand set-up, I am going to stop, have a cup of lemonade, and tip him or her very well just too spite the fuckers that have nothing better to do than to try to shut these kids down.

• Like 2

Yes indeed!

He is about 155 here.  Working folks who had custody after his initial rescue would open up a bag of Old Roy, let him free feed. Wasn't fat, too active for that, but v=carried more weight than his medium large/tall frame should have.  Here he didn't have a ton of room to work out, energy went into drilling exploratory wells.

My son nicked him "Pony".

kl

• Like 1

While this is over the top in most cases, I do recall one wherein the kids were being used as a front by a parent and the whole thing had gone overboard and was clearly into the commercial arena. In spite of that there was bad press for the enforcers, who were just concerned about the health issues involved. But for the folks who drilled down into the story the issue was clear. So before passing judgment on the cops or whoever, I'd want to hear their side of the story.

Country Time Lemonade who are helping kids evade the government will probably get raided and closed down by the FBI. :)