Sign in to follow this  
Burnedout

America Going It's Own Way

Not saying I agree or disagree in anyway or even in part or in total.  This guy does makes some arguments that make sense on certain levels. 

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

25 minutes ago, florduh said:

So...are you saying this was a bad thing? 

40 minutes ago, Burnedout said:

So...are you saying this was a bad thing? 

What I'm saying is it seems to depend on whether your guys or those other guys did it.

Personally, I think reaching out with diplomatic moves beats saber rattling any day. Maintaining or establishing communications with other nations is essential. 

The odd thing with Trump is he snubs our long time allies, calling them "liars" and fabricating phony numbers to depict trade imbalance. Conversely, he openly admires and compliments dictators and plays very nice with them. Odd behavior and suspect in the eyes of many.

So is opening communication with NK a good thing? It depends on your politics and which party is doing the reaching out. As we see in the video montage, the Right deemed talking to NK as tantamount to treason when Obama wanted to do it, but now it's the smartest move ever when Trump tries it. Whatever.

Despite the right wing pro Trump video posted here I believe the USA still needs allies and give and take trade agreements if we are to maintain a leadership role in international politics. One area of leadership Trump threw away was with the Paris accord. Like it or not, effective or not, it is still an important area where the entire rest of the world meets and discusses a topic relevant to all. But we're out, so......

North Korea is a land, one of the last, of untapped resources.  Cheap labor and real estate just waiting to be liberated.

mwc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, mwc said:

North Korea is a land, one of the last, of untapped resources.  Cheap labor and real estate just waiting to be liberated.

mwc

You sound sarcastically disappointed.  Got a problem with a country making consumer goods instead of H bombs?

1 hour ago, Burnedout said:

You sound sarcastically disappointed.  Got a problem with a country making consumer goods instead of H bombs?

Just calling it like I see it.

mwc

12 hours ago, mwc said:

Despite the unending rhetoric, the USA does nothing out of altruism. It's always about financial opportunity for American businesses, and therefore American legislators. Trump seems particularly open about being interested only in his own profit model. I have no doubt that Puerto Rico has been left to die so real estate developers from America, and possibly Russia, can buy it up cheap and build waterfront resorts. Why wouldn't developers swoop in on the untapped potential of North Korea? It fits the pattern.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, florduh said:

Despite the unending rhetoric, the USA does nothing out of altruism. It's always about financial opportunity for American businesses, and therefore American legislators. Trump seems particularly open about being interested only in his own profit model. I have no doubt that Puerto Rico has been left to die so real estate developers from America, and possibly Russia, can buy it up cheap and build waterfront resorts. Why wouldn't developers swoop in on the untapped potential of North Korea? It fits the pattern.

Got news for you, NOBODY, or at least no countries do anything for altruism.  There is always something in it for them.  Do you think churches do things for altruism?  HELL NO!  Altruism is just a ruse for buy now pay later.  

24 minutes ago, Burnedout said:

Got news for you, NOBODY, or at least no countries do anything for altruism.  There is always something in it for them.  Do you think churches do things for altruism?  HELL NO!  Altruism is just a ruse for buy now pay later.  

I know. It just seemed it needed to be pointed out since you said, "Got a problem with a country making consumer goods instead of H bombs?" and now even you concede it's not about actually helping NK after all.

1 minute ago, florduh said:

I know. It just seemed it needed to be pointed out since you said, "Got a problem with a country making consumer goods instead of H bombs?" and now even you concede it's not about actually helping NK after all.

If it is going to stop them from making nukes and they destroy their current nukes, I could not care less short term.  As it stands now, if little Kim or some other future despot thug could, in a fit of rage, could launch one of those nukes at someone, maybe even the US or an ally.  

As I see this, it is much like the detente of the Cold War.  The situation in the North Korea is like the Soviet Union in the late 70's and early 80's.  The only difference is that the leaders of the Soviet Union were perhaps slightly more sane.  If you can take his finger off the nuke trigger, all the better.  And if they can get some deals going, perhaps some basic freedoms for the people, well....the fall of the Berlin Wall came shortly thereafter.  That can't be bad can it?  

9 minutes ago, Burnedout said:

If it is going to stop them from making nukes and they destroy their current nukes, I could not care less short term.

They would be fools to give up their nuclear capability so I doubt that will ever happen. They have learned what happens to a country once it has no leverage against the USA whatsoever. You're dreaming if you think Kim would ever rather have beachfront condos than nukes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, florduh said:

They would be fools to give up their nuclear capability so I doubt that will ever happen. They have learned what happens to a country once it has no leverage against the USA whatsoever. You're dreaming if you think Kim would ever rather have beachfront condos than nukes.

Time will tell.  There is the fact that even Kim knows the second he launches one of his nukes, his country and he are toast.  He is like the bad guy in the comedy western that has his gun pointing at the good guy, except that every other gun from every other cowboy is pointing back at him.  You want to difuse the situation, but the minute the fuse is lit and goes off, a different ballgame then.  He is playing a losing game of brinksmanship now as even China is getting pissed at him.  His predecessors got away with it before and even he did under past administrations, but Trump likes to play hard ball and he realizes he has to use a different tact.  

I guess I'm not the only one who remembers history.

35086656_2479698825374414_5716456777822765056_n.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, florduh said:

I guess I'm not the only one who remembers history.

35086656_2479698825374414_5716456777822765056_n.jpg

Maybe, but, this time China is not coming to their defense as last time.  Not saying you're wrong, but when they are sitting truly alone, maybe.  We will see. What do we have to lose?