Goodbye Jesus

In my experience, there is no gut feeling..

Anushka

..or intuition....agree or disagree?

I mean I hate it when people say- "you ignored it, you didn't pay attention."

Erm ...not really...I really think gut instinct is a myth.

Hope you don't think I am stupid..lol ...

The reason I believe that is cos my "gut feelings" didn't surface or save me before I made stupid mistakes/decisions that caused me A LOT of heartache.

They(gut feelings) didn't happen for the people I know either..

I mean if there really was an internal voice telling you when something is off, how can there be so many rapes, murders, accidents?

If you do think that gut instinct/intuition exist, any tips on how to hear it?

How do you know which is your gut feeling and which is irrational fear?

Can you scientifically explain gut feelings? What is this 'thing' inside us that can sense danger in the future? 

• Like 1

Irrational fear IS a gut feeling. It's up to you how much you trust it. 'Irrational' does not equal 'wrong'. In hindsight you will know what was the right choice.

Don't get stuck on figures of speech. There are many others anyway, like someone giving you the creeps, an alarm going off in your mind etc etc.

Normal people with full faculties don't murder or get murdered very often. It's mostly low-lifes who kill people they're close to. They'll usually give bad vibes to normal people.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Anushka said:

The reason I believe that is cos my "gut feelings" didn't surface or save me before I made stupid mistakes/decisions that caused me A LOT of heartache.

I mean if there really was an internal voice telling you when something is off, how can there be so many rapes, murders, accidents?

Can you scientifically explain gut feelings? What is this 'thing' inside us that can sense danger in the future? 

People have a gut feeling but might ignore it because it's 'illogical.' Someone I know had a bad gut feeling about a guy that came to install something. But she let him in anyway because (logic told her that) he was there to get the job done. Nothing bad happened to her, but that same installer was arrested a few weeks later for serial homicide.

I dont think people are generally trained in life to listen to their intuition, nor does someone always get alerted by intuition, and if they do they might just ignore it. In the case of one of my coworkers she often would say, "I have a bad feeling about this [work situation], but then there was no bad outcome to it so her concern about it would dissipate.

Intuition (whatever it is), is probably a real thing, imo. But putting it to use is the challenge.

The police department has an abbreviation called JDLR (Just don't look right.) People will call the police and say something like 'it just dont look right.' They can't really articulate why, necessarily. It doesn't have to be a mystical 'woo' thing either. Just clues you gather and your subconscious says, "Hmmm, something's wrong here". :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Anushka said:

I'm going to push back against this for just a second, for the sake of argument. I certainly don't think you are stupid.

From where I'm standing, a claim to knowledge via "gut feeling" or intuition is specifically non-scientific. That doesn't mean that such a claim is necessarily false, but it does mean we need to be careful. It is certainly true, in my experience, that some events inspire a sense of trepidation, others inspire elation, anticipation, etcetera. So the phenomenon of gut feelings is real. There are two questions I would want to ask: 1) can we trust these feelings?,and 2) what is the basis of these feelings?

Regarding 1), my gut feeling (hehe) is that we need to be careful. We shouldn't put too much trust in what our intuition says, we should go with what the evidence says. But if we're just talking about being cautious based on a gut feeling, then there isn't really a downside. Just don't get carried away. Essentially, if you have a bad feeling about something, look into it.

Regarding 2), I'm inclined to say (that's a fancy gut feeling, by the way) that there are probably evolutionary reasons why our intuition is the way that it is. It's also probably tied to how we have been socialized, and our personal experiences. Confirmation bias probably plays a role. But I'm not an expert in any of these areas, so I can't answer this for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@midniterider That reminds me of the case of Natascha Kampusch who was abducted as a child and kept in a basement for 8 years.

from a BBC news article:

Back in 1998 she had seen him following her and had a gut feeling that something was wrong, she said, but did not cross the street because she was afraid of making a fool of herself and being run over.

She decided to ignore what was irrational and paid the price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, ToHellWithMe said:

@midniterider That reminds me of the case of Natascha Kampusch who was abducted as a child and kept in a basement for 8 years.

from a BBC news article:

She decided to ignore what was irrational and paid the price.

That was actually sad to read. But, thanks for posting. 

I had a similar experience with my ex. We used to be friends before we started dating. While we were just friends, during one summer, I used to ring him almost everyday. But, one day I actually felt like not ringing him. That day was the first day that the desire to speak to him suddenly vanished. I forced myself to ring him. Before picking up the phone, I remember how the feeling not to ring him grew SO SO strong. When I look back now, it is kind of scary how strong that feeling was. That feeling was not a still small voice. It was REALLY loud.

But, I ignored my feelings and gave him a call. During that phone call, he said he likes me. Before that day, I saw him as my brother and had absolutely no idea at all he felt that way about me. 2 or 3 months later, we started dating.

But, that relationship which lasted only 4 months ruined and fucked up my life so much. He didn't rape me or anything. But, the aftermath of that relationship was just hell.

:(

*Feeling kind of spooky remembering that day*

• Like 2

Hmm, so it could be that gut feelings doesn't really 'guide' you when making decisions.

But, they tell you when something bad is about to happen.

I think in my original post, what I actually meant/believed about intuition was that it will/should warn you when you take a wrong turn or before taking one. Like picking the wrong college or applying for a job where you will be bullied. Or not taking the car at the time so you could have avoided that accident that cost your life.

But, now I realize it has more to do with certain situations like in the case of my ex and in the case of that girl who got kidnapped as mentioned by @ToHellWithMe 

@midniterider : that lady who had the bad gut feeling about the installer- like you said nothing happened to her. Before something could, he got arrested. Then, why the feeling? Intuition would have been more useful to someone who was a victim of this installer. But, then again maybe, like your friend ignored her feeling, they too must have ignored their feelings.

2 hours ago, Anushka said:

I think in my original post, what I actually meant/believed about intuition was that it will/should warn you when you take a wrong turn or before taking one. Like picking the wrong college or applying for a job where you will be bullied. Or not taking the car at the time so you could have avoided that accident that cost your life.

But, now I realize it has more to do with certain situations like in the case of my ex and in the case of that girl who got kidnapped as mentioned by @ToHellWithMe 

@midniterider : that lady who had the bad gut feeling about the installer- like you said nothing happened to her. Before something could, he got arrested. Then, why the feeling? Intuition would have been more useful to someone who was a victim of this installer. But, then again maybe, like your friend ignored her feeling, they too must have ignored their feelings.

Well, I agree , it would be nice if it worked better. LoL. Then again, my first wife told me all about her issues before we got married... did I listen? No. LoL. So why would I listen to my intuition? :)

• Haha 2

My gut told me to come into this thread.  My head is telling me to go.

mwc

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, mwc said:

My gut told me to come into this thread.  My head is telling me to go.

mwc

Mean guy 😋

• Haha 1

On 6/17/2018 at 9:03 PM, midniterider said:

Well, I agree , it would be nice if it worked better. LoL. Then again, my first wife told me all about her issues before we got married... did I listen? No. LoL. So why would I listen to my intuition?

Had no idea what the Three Men's Rules then, or about R3V's were....

kL

• Super Moderator

We get subtle clues based on our knowledge, experience and inbred survival information. It's not your gut but your subconscious putting everything together for you faster than the conscious mind can process. We get cues from micro expressions, speech and body language we can't verbalize, but we know what we're being told by our brain.

I had a dog that virtually read my mind. He recognized my moods, if I didn't feel well or if I was planning to go out without him for awhile. He knew when I planned to take him in the car with me and when I didn't. He would follow me out to the patio unless I was just stepping out there for an instant and not planning to sit for awhile; on those occasions he didn't get up to accompany me since he somehow knew it was not a real sit outside event for him. I gave off subtle cues to him that I can't even pinpoint, yet he got it right every time. He had a gut feeling.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

I usually get a gut feeling after eating at Taco Bell.

• Haha 1