Goodbye Jesus

Hello :)

RubyTuesday

Hello to you all. 

I just joined this forum and will take a look at some posts shortly. 

I was raised in a Christian home. I have no anger about it. My parents did their best according to what they believed and understood. 

I can now be thankful for it all. Because I have found something so much better and more real than anything the church taught me! 

But... I still love Jesus. Only more. Much more! 

Because of what I "learned" about him I was unable to enjoy a living connection with him. 

It's a long story... But like him I have been made perfect through suffering and finally emancipated myself from mental slavery, as Bob Marley so wisely suggested. And now I can really see. Now I know the truth and I am free. 

The "truth" I learned in Church didn't set me free... It made me a mental and emotional cripple! 

But one appreciates light, life, love freedom all the more when one knows what it is to be imprisoned. So I am thankful for everything in my life. Every experience, every agony. 

The truth is not just "out there" 

It's IN YOU! 

Seek it and you'll find it. Guaranteed. Just keep seeking til you are free, then you will know it's the truth. 

• Super Moderator

Welcome to EX-Christian.

Glad you stopped by. We've had many here who claimed to have the TruthTM but now we have someone who has the Real TruthTM 

• Haha 2

Welcome. I'm not sure this site might be exactly what you're looking for but you'll have to determine that. If historians are correct, there never was a historical Jesus. The evidence indicates the Biblical Jesus was a literary character not a real person. I'm assuming, from your post, that could be a problem for you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RubyTuesday said:

Seek it and you'll find it. Guaranteed. Just keep seeking til you are free, then you will know it's the truth. 

Alright everybody. My house, 7 oclock. Bring your bibles. We're all gonna pray to get whatever truth Ruby has. I just don't understand why he didn't give me that special understanding during the 10 years I was reading the bible, praying, going to church, you know, actually believing in Jesus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey @RubyTuesday.

Welcome to Ex-Christian.

The truth is that you are feeling euphoric because, at this point, you are experiencing a brief respite from cognitive dissonance and maybe a lack of direction in your life. 

The actual truth is that we cannot really  count on anything except that which  can be proven by applying the scientific method. https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/science-fair/steps-of-the-scientific-method

Enjoy...

- MOHO (Mind Of His Own)

• Super Moderator

Ho hum...

• Super Moderator
3 hours ago, midniterider said:

Alright everybody. My house, 7 oclock. Bring your bibles. We're all gonna pray to get whatever truth Ruby has. I just don't understand why he didn't give me that special understanding during the 10 years I was reading the bible, praying, going to church, you know, actually believing in Jesus.

Or to even one of the last 10 of the Jesus-LovingTM visitors who've come here with the Really Real TruthTM about believing in their Jesus.   Here we go again -- for the umpteen-thousandth time.  😴

• Super Moderator
24 minutes ago, buffettphan said:

Or to even one of the last 10 of the Jesus-LovingTM visitors who've come here with the Really Real TruthTM about believing in their Jesus.   Here we go again -- for the umpteen-thousandth time.  😴

This is the fuckteenth time, by my count.

• Haha 1

Hi @RubyTuesday. Nice of you to stop by.

Would you care to share some details of this truth that you have found with us?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Geezer said:

Welcome. I'm not sure this site might be exactly what you're looking for but you'll have to determine that. If historians are correct, there never was a historical Jesus. The evidence indicates the Biblical Jesus was a literary character not a real person. I'm assuming, from your post, that could be a problem for you. 

Hi, 

I don't claim to have the truth, I'm just happy with mine and interested in everyone else's. Or, if there is no truth, then I'm just happy and interested in everyone else! :)

2 hours ago, RubyTuesday said:

Hi, 

I don't claim to have the truth, I'm just happy with mine and interested in everyone else's. Or, if there is no truth, then I'm just happy and interested in everyone else! :)

Thanks for the clarification.  I'm not quite sure what you mean by "truth", either your truth, my truth or someone else's truth.

In your initial post, you stated, "The truth is not just 'out there'.  It's IN YOU!"  I can certainly agree with this in part, although, I must disagree with it in part.  For example, the "truth" that water boils at 100 degrees F at standard temperature and pressure is true regardless of whether I am alive, dead or have never existed.  Thus, this truth in not necessarily "IN ME".  It was true before I was born and will be true after I die.  It exists outside of me, and you as well.

Perhaps you could provide your definition of the term "truth".  Maybe we can reach agreement on what that term means, if only for purposes of this discussion. Perhaps not.  In any event, I think this would be the best first rational step to take before proceeding further.

• Super Moderator
33 minutes ago, sdelsolray said:

For example, the "truth" that water boils at 100 degrees F at standard temperature and pressure is true regardless of whether I am alive, dead or have never existed.  

Not to split hairs,  but water boils at 100 degrees Celsius, not Fahrenheit.  It boils at 212F.

20 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Not to split hairs,  but water boils at 100 degrees Celsius, not Fahrenheit.  It boils at 212F.

It was his truth...

29 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Yes it does.  Thank you for the correction.

15 minutes ago, end3 said:

It was his truth...

No, Sparky, it was an error, which has since been corrected.  Try that sometime.  Just once.

1 hour ago, sdelsolray said:

No, Sparky, it was an error, which has since been corrected.  Try that sometime.  Just once.

It was a joke S....chill.

Ruby: But like him I have been made perfect through suffering and finally emancipated myself from mental slavery, as Bob Marley so wisely suggested.

I'll suffer two joints for Bob.

14 hours ago, RubyTuesday said:

But... I still love Jesus. Only more. Much more! 

Annnnd here we go again friends. And we are off and racing, as per usual the Christian is off to a flying start.... by jumping off the building of unsupported assertions and appeal to personal experience. 

Welcome Ruby.

Most, if not all of us here have sought it for many years, some through great personal struggles, tears, pleading, study and so on. We are here because we did seek the truth, and what we found lead us here.

You might first want to establish that there was an actual Jesus as written about, that he actually was the son of Yahweh, and that he actually did die and rise again.

Wait.... maybe you should establish Yahweh's existence first since Yahweh having a son hinges on Yahweh actually existing.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RubyTuesday said:

Because of what I "learned" about him I was unable to enjoy a living connection with him. 

And this would be?  By this I mean the things you "learned" that were "wrong," and of course the corrected information, and what is this "living connection" all that entails.

mwc

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
18 hours ago, RubyTuesday said:

Hi, 

But you said....

"The truth is not just "out there" 

It's IN YOU! 

Seek it and you'll find it. Guaranteed. Just keep seeking til you are free, then you will know it's the truth. "

What you have found is a belief that suits you. Actual truth exists independently of one's beliefs, which may or may not be objectively true.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

We're all still waiting to hear this profound truth of yours, @RubyTuesday.  You're not just going to leave us hanging, are you?

Does my breath smell bated?  

Well, looks like a 'good news' fail again. But that's ok, really because I'm not really interested in becoming a Christian again! woohoo!

• Like 1

Why didnt someone tell me this earlier?

seriously. Wtf?!?

It would have spared me years of trouble and I would still probably believe!!!

From the depths of my heart, Thank You!!!

whew!  I feel better.  

• Haha 3

Hi again, 

I agree that truth exists outside of me and would remain true whether I believed it or not. 

I also agree that me believing something does not in any way make it objective truth. 

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers here. 

I have no ultimate truth to reveal here. Each of us is entitled to believe or disbelieve whatever they choose. 

But I do believe we learn from our experiences in life. Science is amazing but knowing the boiling temperature of water, or any other scientific fact, even if I understood string theory, doesn't satisfy me. 

I am happy to explore ideas and beliefs without religion. I am probably making up for lost time as I spent my teenage years in a psychiatric unit and totally withdrawn so allow me a second childhood to wonder at the meaning of life a little before I decide for myself that maybe there isn't one :)

Hi RubyTuesday. 

Welcome. 

Chat away if youre figuring things out. 

Im kinda an asshole but Im a nice one occassionally ;)  If youre here to preach like many do, you will get strong debate. 

If you want conversation you will find people with varied backgrounds who really know their stuff and love to talk ideas