Goodbye Jesus

Hello :)

RubyTuesday

• Super Moderator

@RubyTuesday

Do you reckon your childhood indoctrination might have had something to do with you ending up in the psych ward?  No judgement here, just curious.

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

19 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

@RubyTuesday

Do you reckon your childhood indoctrination might have had something to do with you ending up in the psych ward?  No judgement here, just curious.

Definitely. Being told at 5 that someone had to die for you to appease an angry God... That was pretty soul destroying. 

I know my family only meant well, but what I was taught in the Christian religion didn't save me, it almost killed me. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Hi RubyTuesday. 

Welcome. 

Chat away if youre figuring things out. 

Im kinda an asshole but Im a nice one occassionally ;)  If youre here to preach like many do, you will get strong debate. 

If you want conversation you will find people with varied backgrounds who really know their stuff and love to talk ideas

Thank you Jeff :)

It's nice to feel welcome. 

I didn't come here to preach. I came because I am moving away from Christian indoctrination. But maybe I have a long way to go. 

I haven't been a churchgoer for about 8 years now, but indoctrination runs deep. 

I'm just finding it wonderfully fascinating to allow myself to be free and explore ideas without having to be right or fear punishment. 

1 hour ago, RubyTuesday said:

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers here. 

Oh I doubt any feathers got ruffled. A person talking Christian stuff walks into the Lions den... you are bound to hear a few growls :D 

I have no ultimate truth to reveal here. Each of us is entitled to believe or disbelieve whatever they choose. 

Do you believe there is an "ultimate" truth - i.e. a truth that transcends the universe?

But I do believe we learn from our experiences in life. Science is amazing but knowing the boiling temperature of water, or any other scientific fact, even if I understood string theory, doesn't satisfy me. 

So you seem to want something more? But don't you want that more to be based in reality, to be true, and not fantasy. For example I'd love a fantasy world with dragons in it. But I don't find this world unsatisfying because I'd also like a fantasy world to be true. I'm able to separate the two and realise one is real and the other is just fantasy.

I am happy to explore ideas and beliefs without religion. I am probably making up for lost time as I spent my teenage years in a psychiatric unit and totally withdrawn so allow me a second childhood to wonder at the meaning of life a little before I decide for myself that maybe there isn't one :)

Sorry to hear of this. I agree with TRP's point about Christianity being at least partly responsible for this.

2 minutes ago, RubyTuesday said:

Thank you Jeff :)

It's nice to feel welcome. 

I didn't come here to preach. I came because I am moving away from Christian indoctrination. But maybe I have a long way to go. 

I haven't been a churchgoer for about 8 years now, but indoctrination runs deep. 

I'm just finding it wonderfully fascinating to allow myself to be free and explore ideas without having to be right or fear punishment. 

Welcome Ruby. May I suggest you spend some time reading some post to kind of figure out the lay of the land and get your bearings? It's okay if you love Jesus but folks here require evidence not beliefs. In fact beliefs, without evidence, don't carry any weight at all around here. 

If ya got questions this is a good place to find answers & reference material. So, hop aboard and hang on because this ride gets bumpy from time to time. ;)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Geezer said:

Welcome Ruby. May I suggest you spend some time reading some post to kind of figure out the lay of the land and get your bearings? It's okay if you love Jesus but folks here require evidence not beliefs. In fact beliefs, without evidence, don't carry any weight at all around here. 

If ya got questions this is a good place to find answers & reference material. So, hop aboard and hang on because this ride gets bumpy from time to time. ;)

Thank you. I hear you and I'll do that. I'm not afraid of bumpy rides :)

• Super Moderator
53 minutes ago, RubyTuesday said:

Definitely. Being told at 5 that someone had to die for you to appease an angry God... That was pretty soul destroying. 

I know my family only meant well, but what I was taught in the Christian religion didn't save me, it almost killed me. 

That is the experience of a great many of us.

42 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Oh I doubt any feathers got ruffled. A person talking Christian stuff walks into the Lions den... you are bound to hear a few growls :D 

:) it was actually supposed to be in introductions! 😂 Didn't realise I had walked into the Lions den :)

Do you believe there is an "ultimate" truth - i.e. a truth that transcends the universe?

I'm open minded about that. I do believe there is truth, but not in a religious sense. I also believe that if there is truth, there are as many paths to it as there are human beings. I can't say I know anything really, unless I can prove it. I do know I've had some life changing experiences (outside of church) which I have interpreted as awakening of my consciousness. 

So you seem to want something more? But don't you want that more to be based in reality, to be true, and not fantasy. For example I'd love a fantasy world with dragons in it. But I don't find this world unsatisfying because I'd also like a fantasy world to be true. I'm able to separate the two and realise one is real and the other is just fantasy.

Yes, I do want my life to be based in reality. Blind faith in something false leads to misery.

Sorry to hear of this. I agree with TRP's point about Christianity being at least partly responsible for this.

Absolutely. 

3 hours ago, RubyTuesday said:

Hi again, 

I agree that truth exists outside of me and would remain true whether I believed it or not. 

I also agree that me believing something does not in any way make it objective truth. 

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers here. 

I have no ultimate truth to reveal here. Each of us is entitled to believe or disbelieve whatever they choose. 

But I do believe we learn from our experiences in life. Science is amazing but knowing the boiling temperature of water, or any other scientific fact, even if I understood string theory, doesn't satisfy me. 

I am happy to explore ideas and beliefs without religion. I am probably making up for lost time as I spent my teenage years in a psychiatric unit and totally withdrawn so allow me a second childhood to wonder at the meaning of life a little before I decide for myself that maybe there isn't one :)

I am still unclear what you mean by "truth".  I renew my earlier request for you to provide your definition/explanation of the term which should make communicating easier and more precise.

It seems that you are searching/desiring things that are satisfying to you, and you indicate certain truths (e.g., scientific facts) provide you with no satisfaction.  Do you believe that other "truths", whatever those may be, will give you satisfaction should you obtain them?

Finding and maintaining happiness, purpose and/or meaning in life is a worthy pursuit.  Most humans have this goal.

2 hours ago, RubyTuesday said:

Oh, ok. That's what the website is all about. :) Regarding life meaning, I think life has whatever meaning I assign to it. Even though I don't have a faith in Jesus anymore, other religions and belief systems are interesting. So is philosophy.

• Like 1

@RubyTuesday

I agree that truth exists outside of me and would remain true whether I believed it or not.

Truth does not exist outside of you. You exist because the true things in the universe happen to form the demonstrable, verifiable systems within and by which all living thinys exist.

You exist because there is truth. Nothing exists that cannot be detected, either currently or potentially.

For instance, if the possibility existed that invisible gods fighting in the clouds made the noises we hear as thunder, we would never have discovered a verifiable explanation that excludes such a possibility. The fact that we have done shows there is no other explanation, because none other is needed.

Humans have already detected rational explanations for almost anything that we once attributed to gods. There is no reason to believe that further advancement in the sciences will do any less or different.

Whatever else you're here for, make sure you remember that as soon as you look past the holy books and their ideas, you discover there's no need for them to be exclusively right, or even right at all in any way that necessitates a suspension of rational, scientific formulae.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2018 at 12:09 AM, RubyTuesday said:

Hello to you all. 

I just joined this forum and will take a look at some posts shortly. 

I was raised in a Christian home. I have no anger about it. My parents did their best according to what they believed and understood. 

I can now be thankful for it all. Because I have found something so much better and more real than anything the church taught me! 

But... I still love Jesus. Only more. Much more! 

Because of what I "learned" about him I was unable to enjoy a living connection with him. 

It's a long story... But like him I have been made perfect through suffering and finally emancipated myself from mental slavery, as Bob Marley so wisely suggested. And now I can really see. Now I know the truth and I am free. 

The "truth" I learned in Church didn't set me free... It made me a mental and emotional cripple! 

But one appreciates light, life, love freedom all the more when one knows what it is to be imprisoned. So I am thankful for everything in my life. Every experience, every agony. 

The truth is not just "out there" 

It's IN YOU! 

Seek it and you'll find it. Guaranteed. Just keep seeking til you are free, then you will know it's the truth. 

If you really had the truth all learning would cease. Have you ceased learning?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1