Goodbye Jesus

Hello!

Questioning32

I'm skeptical that a correction to one of Tacitus' manuscripts (if that really represents one) is enough to make it likely that the use of the term Χριστός is a late addition or a mistake. We know that the Messianic tradition exists both before and after the time Jesus is supposed to have lived. We know of other claimants to the title messiah, and we know that the Septuagint used χριστος to translate the Hebrew for messiah.The didache refers to Christ and Christians. There is a whole lot pretty early manuscript evidence in Greek. I don't think it holds up to think that it's originally a typo. 

Obviously none of this matters as far as evaluating the truth of the claim that Jesus is the Jewish messiah or the son of God or whatever. I guess what I'd say is that even if Jesus of Nazareth is entirely mythical, the title Christ is almost certainly not a mistranslation or scrivener's error, simply because we have plenty of references for the messianic tradition in 1st century Judaism.

Hi Questioning32. I'm glad you felt strong enough to write to us here on this site (even though we are representatives of those evil "voices" in your head). Isn't it strange how everything can turn upside down so quickly with religion? Here's a little something you might be able to hang on to if you feel at times concerned that you are on the wrong path. If there is a god the only spiritual sort of thing you can be certain that that god has given you is your mind and with it your ability to reason. Whether or not this god gave you the bible is not clear especially when you consider that two thirds of the presently living humans received a different book or oral tradition.

For what it's worth I think you're on the right path for finding real peace and contentment. Please keep us up to date on what you're thinking what we might be able to help with.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2018 at 5:12 PM, wellnamed said:

I'm skeptical that a correction to one of Tacitus' manuscripts (if that really represents one) is enough to make it likely that the use of the term Χριστός is a late addition or a mistake.

The aside wasn't meant to derail, but it does open a rabbit hole of relevant links and pdf's all the way down the linked thread: http://www.freethoughtnation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3900

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the encouragement!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2018 at 7:57 PM, Questioning32 said:

I teach in a Christian school ( go back in early August ) and I feel I can't do it anymore. 

I taught in a religious college and I just couldn't do it anymore. I loved teaching and I did my best to try to secretly challenge the fundy nonsense. (In truth most college kids seemed to be wandering farther and farther from it). But in order to be true to myself I had to just let it go. You might find that it feels liberating to do just that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2018 at 6:57 PM, Questioning32 said:

I started having doubts which I would call "attacks from Satan " in my mind

That's one of Christianity's biggest reasons for success. It totally convinces people that their own logical thoughts are actually thoughts placed in their head by this evil god (whom they claim isn't a god, yet they ascribe him all of the powers of a god).

Satan only appears in the book of Job in the Old Testament. (No, Genesis 3 isn't Satan -- it's very clearly an ordinary snake.) Sometime between Persian captivity and the 1st century CE, the Jews began to believe that Satan was like a roaring lion seeking whom he might devour, but it was a totally unscriptural belief. They got it from the Zoroastrians, who believed in a good god (Ahura Mazda) and an evil god (Angra Mainyu). Jehovah was the Jews' good god, and Satan, though not called a god (because they believed there was only one) took the place of Angra Mainyu. And the new religion, Christianity, embraced Satan as the cause of all of people's doubts and failings. But in the beginning, it was not so!

Anyway, welcome aboard, and welcome to the real world, where thoughts are simply thoughts.

• Like 1