Goodbye Jesus

Killing in the Name of...

TheRedneckProfessor

• Super Moderator

Nothing with the word Texas in it surprises me anymore.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
6 hours ago, Fweethawt said:

Nothing with the word Texas in it surprises me anymore.

Texas is the new Florida.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Texas is the new Florida.

I almost followed up in my previous post with the words, same with Florida:lmao:

I've been to Texas. There is a whole lot of stupid going on in Texas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mathew 10:34

Think not that I am come to send peace on Earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

Seems legit.

That seemed like a very truncated posting, I kept looking for more on the page. When I was a fundy, I wrote a short book on self-defense and part of that was quoting from a book "Holy Smokies", referring to state troopers who are believers. They referenced Rom 13:4 "But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer." The OT scriptures are replete with "godly" people slaughtering unbelievers, and god slaughtering lots more.

The flip side is that the apostles are never shown killing anyone, and are rebuked by Jesus for taking up a sword at his arrest. There is very little in the NT that would direct believers to kill, and mostly talks about god and angels doing that.

Personally, I've always thought that killing in the name of a god was the most absurd thing. Why would a powerful spirit that is capable of giving life or death on a whim need people to do battle for him? Stupid. "Oh, but he ordered us to..."

"Why would God need a starship?" - Cpt. Kirk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Killing in the name of God is perfectly all right, if God's name is Necessity. Given human nature, it is a brutal fact killing is sometimes necessary, meaning there has to be someone who is trained and ready to do it. No sane person likes killing another person, so it really isn't surprising if, having done it when there was good cause to do it, they make themselves feel better by pronouncing themselves convinced they did it because it was "God's Will." As long as "God" doesn't tell them via a voice in their head to kill at random, I'd think it was more constructive to think that way than to attempt to drown out reality with a bottle or drugs.

Casey

• 6 months later...

Typical religious nutbag. He should be fired because he is obviously not mentally fit enough for the job

• Like 1

It's creepy what Fundamentalists and extremists would justify in the name of the bible. I've had a conversation with a fundamentalist in which she justified genocide, citing it as sometimes being in line with God's will, using the old testament as reference.

The problem is that people like these are much more common and prevalent than secular people think, and their homicidal thoughts and tendencies are overlooked because they wear the veil of Christianity. For some reason, in the US, it is frowned upon to criticize dangerous and even criminal beliefs if it's explained away as being an expression of their Christian faith. I think as a society this violent behavior is surfacing more and more, and a great meany people are baffled because they didn't see it coming. PEOPLE LIKE THIS ARE DOING WHAT THEIR PASTORS TOLD THEM TO DO, FROM THE PULPIT.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, DestinyTurtle said:

The problem is that people like these are much more common and prevalent than secular people think, and their homicidal thoughts and tendencies are overlooked because they wear the veil of Christianity

Yes! The un-churched really don't "get" that the fundamentalists like VP Pence really do believe that domination, control, and even slaughter are completely acceptable to the "religion of love" Christianity. They really do believe in a constant real war with invisible spiritual enemies and protectors, and that their prayers (and laws they pass) prevent the horrors of Satanic blindness in our country. This is also why there is such unbending devotion to Israel, even when they do nasty shit to those around them. It is an ignorant and in many ways willfully stupid mindset ("I'm a FOOL FOR CHRIST!!! MAGA!").  In my still unpublished book, this is the primary thing that I try to convey to the unchurched, the mindset of a serious believer, the daily practices, the many superstitions, the seeming reality that is entirely imaginary, bolstered only by the emotional manipulation of their congregations.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Super Moderator
3 hours ago, DestinyTurtle said:

It's creepy what Fundamentalists and extremists would justify in the name of the bible. I've had a conversation with a fundamentalist in which she justified genocide, citing it as sometimes being in line with God's will, using the old testament as reference.

I've been on this website since 2013 and every christian who's wandered into The Lion's Den has, at one point or another, justified genocide if god ordered it.

• Like 3

A modern day version of Deus Vult "God wills it". Or "In the name of God."

If you believe you have God on your side and he is the ultimate judge then there is nothing you cannot justify. To paraphrase Hitchens, religion is poison.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I've been on this website since 2013 and every christian who's wandered into The Lion's Den has, at one point or another, justified genocide if god ordered it.

Geez. That's horrifying but I'm not surprised. It's also reassuring (if that's the right word), because it confirms what I've seen. Sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy because I hear people say these terrible things and I keep thinking "they can't possibly have said that!".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Dang prof, you got a one and a half year old thread resurrected! You should write three contradictory eyewitness accounts of this feat, and then add in a fourth account in a couple decades. :)

• Haha 2

• Super Moderator
27 minutes ago, Bhim said:

Dang prof, you got a one and a half year old thread resurrected! You should write three contradictory eyewitness accounts of this feat, and then add in a fourth account in a couple decades. :)

Yeah, but being from the South, where would I find a virgin, let alone 3 wise men?  😎

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Bhim said:

Dang prof, you got a one and a half year old thread resurrected!

Time does fly, but not that fast. It's not 2020 yet. 

4 hours ago, Bhim said:

You should write three contradictory eyewitness accounts of this feat, and then add in a fourth account in a couple decades. :)

4 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Yeah, but being from the South, where would I find a virgin, let alone 3 wise men?  😎

Thanks for the laughs! 😁

8 hours ago, Fuego said:

In my still unpublished book

I look forward to reading it when it's published. 

9 hours ago, Fuego said:

Yes! The un-churched really don't "get" that the fundamentalists like VP Pence really do believe that domination, control, and even slaughter are completely acceptable to the "religion of love" Christianity.

I think the only people that understand it properly are the ex-fundamentalists.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
11 hours ago, Fuego said:

In my still unpublished book, this is the primary thing that I try to convey to the unchurched, the mindset of a serious believer, the daily practices, the many superstitions, the seeming reality that is entirely imaginary, bolstered only by the emotional manipulation of their congregations.

Please let us know when your book is published!