Sign in to follow this  
Fweethawt

Can Anyone Identify This Type of Cat?

My mom found this pic and was asking me what kind it is. I'd like to know myself. It looks pretty cool.

7d43d49f51e9ffd373816abdf0f6a7b1.jpg

Siberian, as far as I can tell.

I just found this same pic on a Maine Coon site. He's a rare looking one for sure. Almost looks photoshopped. But that's what he is.

It's a Maine Coon cat.

It probably weighs about 20-25 lbs. They are one of the larger breeds of house cats.

They are very sought after animals for pest control in rural areas. They're really good at getting rid of vermin, and their size means they can efficiently get rid of bigger varmints. They're not just good barn cats, but will also help control crows, rabbits, and gophers.

• Thanks 1

That is a Norwegian forest cat. A large cat.

I was thinking Maine Coon too, so there are several of us thinking the same thing and is probably the best bet.  A Russian Blue has short hair, so we can rule that out.

1 hour ago, hearsmanyhorses said:

That is a Norwegian forest cat. A large cat.

Nope. The head shape is wrong, the high cheekbones are a dead giveaway.

Also, Norwegian Forest Cats tend to have a more even coat, where as Coon Cats are sleeker, but with fluffier tails. Both breeds are what would be considered "fluffy" but Maine Coons are less uniform in how long their coats are.

Maine Coons are probably descended from Norwegian Forest Cats that were brought over to the US at some point. They look very similar, but there are features that are distinctive to both.

• Like 1

That face looks very Maine Coon to me. I have a Norwegian Forest and her face is shaped different. The facial proportions of a Maine Coon tend to make them favor the large cat breeds with a bit larger muzzle and smaller eyes relative to the face. Norwegian Forest have larger eyes relative to the face compared to Maine Coon. Of course there are masculine and feminine features that are apparent on cat faces, these differences between the breeds are a bit more pronounced.

Norwegian Forest                                  vs                                                     Maine Coon

norska-lesni-kocka.jpg   vs   coon-4.jpg

• Like 1

I was thinking Maine Coon too.  I had a mix (dunno what all exactly since he was a stray but Maine Coon for sure) and he was the best cat ever.  I sure miss him.

mwc

This Bub kat came to us some five-six winter seasons past. He and his sister were dumped off at our door step in mid November of that year being one of coldest recalled.  II 6-8 week old kits, purple collars already tight on necks.

*I* do N O T care for katz.  Katz eat my songbirds, Rocky Mountain quail, have raided ringnecked Pheasant until populations are none exist to be seen nor heard.  Bub is 18usp's, most of that is his ever shedding coat.  Cat is as dumb as a box of wetted rocks.

With his size, coat and facial features Vet suggested some larger variety of kat breed may be part of his heritage.  Have some better pics, will have to find them.

Katz, feline gods joke on Canine Lovers Universes...

kLIMG_20171203_205430536.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.