Goodbye Jesus

A brief history of the apocalypse

Joshpantera

A Brief History of the Apocalypse

The early days: 2800 BC - 1700 AD

http://www.abhota.info/end1.htm

Beyond 2012

http://www.abhota.info/end6.htm

The "End," has been "soon at hand" for a great deal of centuries and millennia. Christianity simply fell into a larger scale human tendency towards alarm, gloom and doom which was alive long before christianity and will seem to out last christianity as well. Whenever you hear of certain doom, take a good long read of these links and see what objective insights may start coming into view.

From the link http://www.abhota.info/end1.htm  ...

"Jesus said, "Verily I say unto you, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." (Matthew 16:28) This implies that the Second Coming would return within the lifetime of his contemporaries, and indeed the Apostles expected Jesus to return before the passing of their generation."

I've read apologetic interpretations stating that when Jesus came back to life, as stated in the Bible, this prophecy was fulfilled. 

This is an extremely valuable source to attempt to present to the fundy fams the next time they take the tithing marketing too seriously.

"Dig deep brothers and sister because the lawd will return on <date> ! We know this becuase <bullshit>. "

Thanx, @Joshpantera

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MOHO said:

"Jesus said, "Verily I say unto you, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." (Matthew 16:28) This implies that the Second Coming would return within the lifetime of his contemporaries, and indeed the Apostles expected Jesus to return before the passing of their generation."

I've read apologetic interpretations stating that when Jesus came back to life, as stated in the Bible, this prophecy was fulfilled. 

My ex father-in-law thought that the second coming happened during the apostles life times, because of this. But not that the resurrection was Jesus coming in his kingdom, but that later after the ascension the 2nd coming took place back then. He was a little foggy on the details when I pressed him to explain the theology further. I just noted that most atheist's point to this verse as evidence of a failed prophecy. But he was pretty invested in believing that the 2nd coming already happened and the disciples were taken up. 

The stranger part is not tasting death, UNTIL they see the Son of Man coming in his Kingdom. As if they were to die at the point of seeing him coming. Maybe the idea was that they had to die first before entering the kingdom. And the notion of those who are alive at the 2nd coming being caught up in the clouds, never tasting death, was a later belief. Strange things. If so it would represent another contradiction between Matthew and Revelation to add to the growing pile of contradictions. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The word 'coming' in Mathew 16:28 is a snafu of a translation.  'Coming' is the word "erchomai" and is better translated 'GO."  erchomai is also translated GO in several places.

...till they see the Son of man 'GO' in his kingdom.  That's referring to the ascension where Jesus returns into the kingdom of heaven.  When he returns Jesus can't COME into his kingdom because he's returning to establish it.  He's not returning into a kingdom already established.

According to some xians we will know the truth soon as this Friday's blood moon is the start of it all. 🙄

On July 11, 2018 at 1:55 PM, MOHO said:

Apologists have vivid imaginations don't they? They make defense attorney's seem like amateurs when it comes to twisting words & reinterpreting evidence & facts. :fun:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/11/2018 at 6:23 PM, Joshpantera said:

My ex father-in-law thought that the second coming happened during the apostles life times, because of this. But not that the resurrection was Jesus coming in his kingdom, but that later after the ascension the 2nd coming took place back then. He was a little foggy on the details when I pressed him to explain the theology further. I just noted that most atheist's point to this verse as evidence of a failed prophecy. But he was pretty invested in believing that the 2nd coming already happened and the disciples were taken up. 

That sounds like Preterism. I was pretty intrigued by that theology for awhile, until I deconverted. Preterism holds that the fall of Jerusalem around 70AD was the second coming. 

On 9/10/2019 at 11:15 PM, trashy said:

That sounds like Preterism. I was pretty intrigued by that theology for awhile, until I deconverted. Preterism holds that the fall of Jerusalem around 70AD was the second coming. 

Sort of like the JHW's "invisible" second coming that already happened: 

http://evidenceforchristianity.org/did-the-second-coming-of-jesus-occur-invisibly-in-1914-as-the-jehovah-witness-claim/

• Like 1