Sign in to follow this  
LogicalFallacy

Is this racist, or acceptable preference?

We all have preferences, many of them simply because we are more comfortable with people of our own kind. I prefer conversationalists and fishing buffs to party and concert goers.

Recently an ad appeared for flatmates on a popular trading site here in NZ. A portion of the ad states no Indian's.

Racist on the face of it, but is having a preference for who you want to flatmate with racist or simply preference? The ad was taken down. Is this PC gone to far or were the people writing the ad just racist arsewipes?

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/money/homeandproperty/trade-me-property-listing-specifies-no-indians/ar-AAzWlpq?li=BBqdg4K&ocid=ientp

Your (civil) thoughts

• Like 1

Regardless of whether or not the poster is racist, it's certainly not newsworthy or worth excessive public shaming.  There could be any number of reasons for that post, a few might not even be racist, but it's not our right to dictate that his thoughts are wrong if they aren't violent or really harming anyone. 

I think getting our collective and national panties on a twist over something like this is nonsense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It's a preference.

I certainly prefer living with someone that won't take a shit in the middle of my living room.

Just sayin'...

12 minutes ago, Fweethawt said:

It's a preference.

I certainly prefer living with someone that won't take a shit in the middle of my living room.

Just sayin'...

Can't help yourself can you?

Where is my eye roll emoji.... :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Well, you know....

Don't tell me that if you see an Indian reaching into the potato chip bag with their left hand, you would feel just a little, tiny bit queezy about having some for yourself?

And curry does stink...

• Like 1

I'm not Indian. I love curry.

Here's how that sort of thing works.  If you don't want Indian roommates you can't advertise that fact.  You advertise for a roommate and then you simply "filter" any Indians who come by out on some flimsy criteria.  It's like dating or any other sort of thing where someone sort of shows interest in you.  You don't just shout "NO BLACKS!" or "NO INDIANS!" or "NO FATTIES!" in their face.  You say something like "I'm seeing someone" even if it's not true and then continue your search for whatever suits your fancy. 

With equal housing laws in some places you just have to make sure that you don't say something stupid like you already have someone else lined up or whatever because that could come back to bite you on the ass.  I would think the right way to do all this would be to have an interview period, some overall length of time, and simply choose the person who you think is most compatible with you (and have the option to choose no one if you can afford it).  Explain this process to every person that applies.  That avoids any problems with you being a racist asshole and you may be surprised who you think might actually be a good roommate.  It might just be an Indian.

mwc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

In the US, the fair housing act doesn't apply to a roommate. You can't discriminate as a landlord renting out a unit, but you can discriminate if you are on subletting a space that you also occupy as a your private dwelling. Sharing the same private living space is considered too personal to force someone to have to accept anyone. That doesn't mean it's not racist, but different laws apply to roommates.

An individual can discriminate in an ad for a roommate/flatmate they will share living quarters with.

A landlord can't discriminate in an ad for a tenant in a unit they themselves won't also occupy.

However this incident is in NZ, and I have no idea how the laws are written there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK...*sigh*. Here's the thing with us Indians. The ones from India (i.e. first generation) do have some bad habits, as do us Westernized ones. First of all there's the tendency to speak their native language around Westerners despite being fluent in English. This is just plain rude. When I socialize with first generation Indians, I politely insist that they speak English at all times around me, because no one wants to hear that weird foreign gibberish of ours.

Next, there's the fact that those of us who are religious have some strange rules that make life hard for Westerners. If I had a roommate, I'd need him to cook meat in separate dishes, to keep alcohol away from the area where I set up my altar to God, and to not wear shoes in the house. This is part of why I didn't have any roommates after deconverting and rededicating myself to Hinduism. It wouldn't be fair to the Western roommate.

I could go on, but yes there is also the curry. Curry tastes great, smells awful. If you leave your closet door open and it gets on your clothes, you'll walk around smelling like the third world for the next week. Not a pleasant way for a Westerner to live.

Having said all that, it's also impolite to single out Indians in a public ad. It would be better to simply state that you want a native New Zealander. Or even that you just want a white guy. Saying "no Indians" is unnecessarily rude. I don't think these people should have been publicly shamed, but they shouldn't have written the ad like this.

Oh well. Ultimately, this hurts no one. If these people are anti-Indian, then I probably wouldn't want to live with them anyway, and it's good to know this about them before I sign a lease.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/11/2018 at 10:56 PM, Fweethawt said:

Well, you know....

Don't tell me that if you see an Indian reaching into the potato chip bag with their left hand, you would feel just a little, tiny bit queezy about having some for yourself?

And curry does stink...

What...how do you people know about the left hand thing!?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/11/2018 at 9:17 PM, TrueScotsman said:

Because they don't like curry?  Sounds like typical racist asshole BS to me.

Let's make this more interesting. You've mentioned previously that you associate Indian culture with the patriarchy. What if the person said they didn't want Indians because they don't want to support the patriarchy?

This is not a hypothetical scenario.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 9:47 PM, LogicalFallacy said:

Couldn't help but notice that while you rolled you eyes, you were also smiling.

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2018 at 11:56 PM, Fweethawt said:

Well, you know....

And curry does stink...

I thought the whole left hand thing was because of Muslims. Now it's Indians too?

By the way, is that dot or feather?

I don't want to be racist or anything. I mean, I'm just a recovering white guy so please cut me some slack here.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, duderonomy said:

Fucking stupid eyeroll emoji! Want to do another crusade?

• Haha 1

On 7/12/2018 at 8:58 AM, Lucy said:

In the US, the fair housing act doesn't apply to a roommate. You can't discriminate as a landlord renting out a unit, but you can discriminate if you are on subletting a space that you also occupy as a your private dwelling. Sharing the same private living space is considered too personal to force someone to have to accept anyone. That doesn't mean it's not racist, but different laws apply to roommates.

An individual can discriminate in an ad for a roommate/flatmate they will share living quarters with.

A landlord can't discriminate in an ad for a tenant in a unit they themselves won't also occupy.

However this incident is in NZ, and I have no idea how the laws are written there.

A woman can prefer a female roommate, and a man a male roommate.  I've seen that designation in ads before.  It's a little ugly to pick out a specific race, but I don't actually see a lot of difference here.  I used to visit a collegiate housing area for my old job that was inhabited mostly by international students.  You could tell what nationality was behind the closed apartment doors by the cooking smells emanating from within.  Indian and Chinese foods were especially pungent.  I'm not sure I could live with that on a daily basis, and I love those foods!

14 hours ago, Bhim said:

Let's make this more interesting. You've mentioned previously that you associate Indian culture with the patriarchy. What if the person said they didn't want Indians because they don't want to support the patriarchy?

This is not a hypothetical scenario.

Oooo, this is exactly where the Christian Right's efforts to allow discrimination would totally bite them in the ass.  If they can discriminate against LGBTQs based on their value system, anyone can discriminate based on THEIR value system as well.  I can refuse to serve Christians based on my value of inclusion or anti-bigotry or anti-patriarchy or whatever.  They really don't think this stuff through.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Daffodil said:

Oooo, this is exactly where the Christian Right's efforts to allow discrimination would totally bite them in the ass.  If they can discriminate against LGBTQs based on their value system, anyone can discriminate based on THEIR value system as well.  I can refuse to serve Christians based on my value of inclusion or anti-bigotry or anti-patriarchy or whatever.  They really don't think this stuff through.

I don't think anyone really thinks these through.  I think the push for everyone to be tolerant and inclusive and diverse has created some of the most intolerant non-inclusive tribal people I've seen in my lifetime.  "Live and let live but stay off my lawn" has become "Do as I say, even on your own lawn".

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:
22 hours ago, duderonomy said:

Fucking stupid eyeroll emoji! Want to do another crusade?

Goddamn Unionistas anyway, both of ye!

kL

5 minutes ago, SkipNChurch said:

Goddamn Unionistas anyway, both of ye!

kL

I'm warnin ya Mister...LogicalFallacy and me are coming to get out post numbers back, and the proles of Ex-C are comin with us.

Its a preference

On 7/14/2018 at 11:09 AM, Daffodil said:

If they can discriminate against LGBTQs based on their value system, anyone can discriminate based on THEIR value system as well.  I can refuse to serve Christians based on my value of inclusion or anti-bigotry or anti-patriarchy or whatever. 

I'm waiting for someone to use the Colorado cake baker case this way. 

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.