Sign in to follow this  
MOHO

Fundamentalism partially responsible?

http://www.kezi.com/content/news/Faith-healing-homicide-plea-487773281.html

Regarding attempts to heal children with religious bullshit.

Perhaps a surcharge could be levied against church proceeds to pay for public service announcements railing against faith healing. 

What say you all?

I think the only answer is that people get smarter, and that ain't happening in your lifetime. There are laws and they do get enforced, but that seems to happen only after a death. Withholding medical treatment is child abuse, it's also freedom of religion right up to the point of death. Society needs to stop giving a pass to anything labeled "religious." But we are a Christian nation, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Extreme" fundamentalism was partly responsible, no doubt. I was a Pentecostal, but our church wasn't so stupid as to turn down medicine. :)

There's been occasional push-back about child abuse laws and freedom of religion laws, but it seems that the party of "family values" pretty much always side with religion, even when it's literally killing kids.  I guess a fat government paycheck is worth someone's life, so long as it's not theirs or their own.

On 7/18/2018 at 10:41 AM, florduh said:

I think the only answer is that people get smarter, and that ain't happening in your lifetime. There are laws and they do get enforced, but that seems to happen only after a death. Withholding medical treatment is child abuse, it's also freedom of religion right up to the point of death. Society needs to stop giving a pass to anything labeled "religious." But we are a Christian nation, right?

People are getting dumber. 

On July 18, 2018 at 11:45 AM, 1989 said:

There's been occasional push-back about child abuse laws and freedom of religion laws, but it seems that the party of "family values" pretty much always side with religion, even when it's literally killing kids.  I guess a fat government paycheck is worth someone's life, so long as it's not theirs or their own.

I am certainly not defending this nonsense,  but lower courts may be  ruling in favor of the Constitution because they know they will be overturned by a higher court if they don't. And any attempt to legislate this has a strong possibility of being overturned by the courts. The constitutional protection for religious freedom is probably an iron clad guarantee. I don't see any possibility of that going away. 

7 hours ago, Geezer said:

I am certainly not defending this nonsense,  but lower courts may be  ruling in favor of the Constitution because they know they will be overturned by a higher court if they don't. And any attempt to legislate this has a strong possibility of being overturned by the courts. The constitutional protection for religious freedom is probably an iron clad guarantee. I don't see any possibility of that going away. 

There are a few state that don't allow religious exemption when it comes to child safety, one of which is, ironically, Texas.  I also don't see this as a courts issue, but a political one.  For the most part, all the courts can do it follow the law.  State legislature has the power to change the laws, but won't.  Votes, people, are what's really killing kids.

45 minutes ago, 1989 said:

There are a few state that don't allow religious exemption when it comes to child safety, one of which is, ironically, Texas.  I also don't see this as a courts issue, but a political one.  For the most part, all the courts can do it follow the law.  State legislature has the power to change the laws, but won't.  Votes, people, are what's really killing kids.

That was my point. Any attempt by State Legislators to restrict freedom of religion,  will be contested in court and the Constitution is clear that freedom of religion is a guaranteed right. Situations such as children being denied medical attention, based on religious freedom,  would have the best chance of the courts placing the child's interest above  an individual's right of freedom of religion.  

At least rational people would hope so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geezer said:

That was my point. Any attempt by State Legislators to restrict freedom of religion,  will be contested in court and the Constitution is clear that freedom of religion is a guaranteed right. Situations such as children being denied medical attention, based on religious freedom,  would have the best chance of the courts placing the child's interest above  an individual's right of freedom of religion.   

At least rational people would hope so.

Yeah, you'd think that life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness would trump religion.  Especially that first bit.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.