Goodbye Jesus

Seeing Red

LogicalFallacy

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/national/the-alarming-maps-that-have-climate-scientists-seeing-red/ar-BBL6Zfd?li=AAaeXZz&ocid=ientp

Snipped:

Alongside a graph showing temperature anomalies since the late 1800s, he called it "fundamentally undeniable" proof the world has been warming.

Though climate scientists are reluctant to blame global warming for specific events - such as the deadly fires in Greece or individual heatwaves around the world - Mr Lee says it makes such events much more likely.

"Imagine a loaded dice," he tweeted. "You throw a 6. But you could have thrown a 6 on a normal dice, too, so you can't be sure you threw a 6 because the dice was loaded - but it vastly increased your chances of doing so. The same logic applies to heatwaves and global warming."

Truly disturbing stuff. We should probably start treating this seriously. I have serious doubts that we will though.

2 hours ago, disillusioned said:

Truly disturbing stuff. We should probably start treating this seriously. I have serious doubts that we will though.

I think humanity will wake up when entire sections of society need relocating. No doubt blame will be thrown around. People will ask why they were not warned.

Humans are a fickle species. Choosing to ignore the obvious until its too late. I don't think any single issue on its own is insurmountable, but we have a number of environmental issues on top of social issues that will be facing us in the next 50-100 years. Yet we seem to be more divided than ever. And a house divided will not stand. - That's one useful quote out of the bible.

• Like 2

I've read some articles about global warming and the evidence for it seems legit, but the cause is open to debate, and it may not be a fixable problem. Mankind's technogical advancements are certainly not helping the situation. The planet has a history of warming & cooling and this may be part of a normal cycle. I've read some articles that indicated the Sun is the cause, and of course there are other "experts" that disagree with that. 

The "solution", assuming there is one, is to make adjustments & technology that will assist us in learning to live in a warmer climate. Antarctica was once a tropical continent. There is abundant evidence the earth has warmed and cooled dramatically before and life survived because it adapted, and that may br our only alternative this time to.

Those that own beachfront property might to think about selling it while it's still on dry land.:D

• Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

Bah, so called global warming is a conspiracy perpetrated by the Chinese. That information comes from the highest, most reliable source. Do not believe your eyes, ears, scientists, journalists or any other source of Truth. “War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.”

Dog, I'm tired of all the official denial.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2018 at 11:30 PM, LogicalFallacy said:

I think humanity will wake up when entire sections of society need relocating. No doubt blame will be thrown around. People will ask why they were not warned.

Humans are a fickle species. Choosing to ignore the obvious until its too late. I don't think any single issue on its own is insurmountable, but we have a number of environmental issues on top of social issues that will be facing us in the next 50-100 years. Yet we seem to be more divided than ever. And a house divided will not stand. - That's one useful quote out of the bible.

I'm thinking technological advancement will have to kick in to where after realizing how the weather can be affected, we learn to take dam near full control of it and manage the climate ourselves. Facing calamity could be the driver towards forcing these sort of technological advancements. But all in all, it doesn't seem far fetched to develop ways of balancing out carbon through technological means, manipulating low or high pressure systems to bring rain or end it. My friend @Robert_Tulip has already proposed such ideas as algae farming outside of reef areas to absorb carbon out of the oceans and possibly stop reef bleaching. I saw something going around on facebook about an inner city where they made planters out of all the bridge supports to maximize plant life within the inner city. Apparently the added natural carbon absorption improved conditions.There are a lot of things that can be done, and at least conceptualized to work towards. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

I hope you're right that humanity will wake up. But something about Puerto Rico (etc, etc) makes me doubt it.

I'm honestly not sure that we're not just gonna carry right on ignoring this until it's well and truly too late.

It's just too damned inconvenient to try and fix this problem. I'm not sure I see that changing before we've gone too far.  Really hope I'm wrong though. 

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:27 AM, Geezer said:

I've read some articles about global warming and the evidence for it seems legit, but the cause is open to debate, and it may not be a fixable problem. Mankind's technogical advancements are certainly not helping the situation. The planet has a history of warming & cooling and this may be part of a normal cycle. I've read some articles that indicated the Sun is the cause, and of course there are other "experts" that disagree with that. 

The "solution", assuming there is one, is to make adjustments & technology that will assist us in learning to live in a warmer climate. Antarctica was once a tropical continent. There is abundant evidence the earth has warmed and cooled dramatically before and life survived because it adapted, and that may br our only alternative this time to.

Those that own beachfront property might to think about selling it while it's still on dry land.:D

There are lots of 'causes'. What is clear is that humans are and have impacted the normal cycles thus exacerbating the situation.

Regarding the sun, I've read literature on this from proponents but they fail to explain why temperature kept rising during solar minimums. Any explanation has to take into account all the known facts and so far CO2 as a driver is the best explanation.

Again I don't think it's doomsday, but I think it could cause massive upheaval of populations in the worst affected areas. That will be fairly disruptive.

• Thanks 1