donthodl

Did you actually know God, before giving up?

On 8/14/2018 at 1:42 PM, Heimir said:

In a way I want to save them from their ignorance

Here! Here!

When I counter Mrs. MOHO's churchy lingo with logic and reason she responds with "Satan is making you say that!"

The fundies, of course, are fed that lie as a half-assed attempt at vilifying those who tout logic/reason/truth (as can be PROVEN)/sanity.

You know, crazy-ass shit like that. 

• Like 1

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

1 hour ago, MOHO said:

Here! Here!

When I counter Mrs. MOHO's churchy lingo with logic and reason she responds with "Satan is making you say that!"

The fundies, of course, are fed that lie as a half-assed attempt at vilifying those who tout logic/reason/truth (as can be PROVEN)/sanity.

You know, crazy-ass shit like that. 

Satan is logical, apparently.

• Haha 1

"Did you really ever know God?" Yes, in the way that any believer thinks he knows the deity in question. After all, it's a relationship, right? Well, I investigated that god so thoroughly he vanished in the overwhelming and undeniable lack of evidence.

"Did you ever really look at the emperor's new clothes?" Yes, I looked even more closely than you and discovered that the fucker was actually naked.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, florduh said:

"Did you really ever know God?" Yes, in the way that any believer thinks he knows the deity in question. After all, it's a relationship, right? Well, I investigated that god so thoroughly he vanished in the overwhelming and undeniable lack of evidence.

"Did you ever really look at the emperor's new clothes?" Yes, I looked even more closely than you and discovered that the fucker was actually naked.

I thought I knew God. But it turns out that since he doesn't exist, I never really knew him. :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MOHO said:

Yeah, exactly, that is what people often assume. But it's quite the opposite: I genuinely care about people and I feel extremely bad when I meet someone who is a devout and fanatic christian. Having been there myself, I know how one gets wounded by hearing over and over again since early childhood that (s)he is sinful and evil, that only through god's grace can one be saved from an eternal torment. I know how one feels one needs to save the world.

I wish people could experience the world in an open way. Yes, and make it a bit better for everyone, but not as an outsider, but as someone who just loves life. That they can love and accept themselves and others for who they are, not because they are commanded to.

Christianity is full of good ideas, but the bad ones poison everything. I see so many people wasting their lives because of it, and it just fills me with sadness. What is especially frustrating is that there is so little that I can do. Not that it's impossible to convince them, that is an issue in many cases (people in general don't change their mind easily, especially not when they have been indoctrinated for decades) but not the main one for me, no, I know that leaving christianity is an awful experience and I am not sure that I wish that on other people.

I have played a role in the deconversion of several people, never in a very aggressive and direct way, but still I have had my influence, and it has not always led to the best results, despite me trying to be a supportive and positive friend. One person even had to be admitted in a closed home due to psychological issues. He got out but is still recovering, I hope he will do great, but all this experience has taught me that it's often better to let people be ignorant, so that they can at least be relatively happy. Unless they are causing suffering for others, then they can expect me to give them a hard time.

A challenge is when you see people who are in their twenties or early thirties and who make a lot of life decisions based on their strict faith, and you just see all the signs of an unhappy and unsuccessful life developing in front of your eyes. They can be happy now, but they postpone careers due to missionary work, sometimes endlessly until they are way behind, or unable to ever get started. They don't work on their confidence or psychological issues, but instead look for god all of the time to help them. They are extremely friendly and open all the time, but you see them struggling with all kinds of frustrations.

Yeah, that person has been me. That is why it frustrates me so much I guess. This was not the direction I wanted to take this post in, but I understand myself a bit better now. Fortunately, I made it out 5 years ago and that was on time to get my life in order before I have wasted everything. But around me I see some people who are still christian and I fear that it's too late for some of them. I do wish them the best, even in their ignorance.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Heimir said:

A challenge is when you see people who are in their twenties or early thirties and who make a lot of life decisions based on their strict faith, and you just see all the signs of an unhappy and unsuccessful life developing in front of your eyes.

Yes, I cringe when I hear something like, "I'll just see where the Lord leads me." 

4 hours ago, Heimir said:

A challenge is when you see people who are in their twenties or early thirties and who make a lot of life decisions based on their strict faith, and you just see all the signs of an unhappy and unsuccessful life developing in front of your eyes. They can be happy now, but they postpone careers due to missionary work, sometimes endlessly until they are way behind, or unable to ever get started. They don't work on their confidence or psychological issues, but instead look for god all of the time to help them. They are extremely friendly and open all the time, but you see them struggling with all kinds of frustrations.

Ah shit, this was me in so many ways.  I finally woke up and started doing, and going, and making plans. And guess what? Now I got a shitload of crap dumped on me from a fundie relative about how my "poor life choices" aka "siding with the devil", are to blame for the problems a sibling is having, you know, because I influenced them and look where it got us. It was pretty difficult not to flip the bird.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2018 at 10:15 AM, donthodl said:

Did you know God before giving up on the faith? To that I know you'll say. God doesn't exist, so it's impossible to know Him. If that is your response, then you weren't actually a believer to start with. If believing was doing Christian practices, such as attending Church and playing in the worship band.

This along with the rest of your post reeks of the No True Scotsman Fallacy (Google it).  The answer is, we knew God in the same fashion as you would an imaginary friend.  Eventually you set childish things aside and grow the hell up.  

Next question.