Goodbye Jesus

The weirdest thing is happening to me

SerenelyBlue

I would be lying if I gave you the fundy arguments.  I am just being honest.

10 minutes ago, buffettphan said:

Cherrypicking.  Again.

Christ and the cross is the most important message in the Bible.  There are more important issues than homosexuality in his letter.  It is not so much cherry picking as prioritizing.

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, SerenelyBlue said:

Secular logic regarding God and spiritual matters!

You cherrypick when to use logic.  

Or not.

53 minutes ago, SerenelyBlue said:

I would be lying if I gave you the fundy arguments.  I am just being honest.

You cherrypick over using fundy arguments.   (i.e. You used the biggest fundy threat of all.  You know the one -- the threat of us going to hell if we don't turn back to your god. )  

Or not.  (SB: "I am sorry if I threatened ex Christians.  I thought I was doing you and God a favour.)

41 minutes ago, SerenelyBlue said:

Christ and the cross is the most important message in the Bible.  There are more important issues than homosexuality in his letter.  It is not so much cherry picking as prioritizing.

You cherrypick over which biblical issues are important. 

Or not.

Be honest with yourself.  You don't believe because of logic  -- you believe because of emotions.   

9 minutes ago, buffettphan said:

You cherrypick when to use logic.  

Or not.

You cherrypick over using fundy arguments.   (i.e. You used the biggest fundy threat of all.  You know the one -- the threat of us going to hell if we don't turn back to your god. )  

Or not.  (SB: "I am sorry if I threatened ex Christians.  I thought I was doing you and God a favour.)

You cherrypick over which biblical issues are important. 

Or not.

Be honest with yourself.  You don't believe because of logic  -- you believe because of emotions.   

I believe because I know God is real.  I sense the presence of the Holy Spirit.

• Super Moderator
22 minutes ago, SerenelyBlue said:

Like I said:  emotions.    Unless of course you can provide for us your concrete, physical, objective, testable data i.e. evidence (which you've previously said you couldn't do).  

They don't call it "faith" for nothing.  

"firm belief in something for which there is no proof"    --Merriam-Webster Dictionary

5 hours ago, SerenelyBlue said:

I sense baloney. Oscar Mayer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SerenelyBlue said:

And I sense the presence of a heavily self deluded man, obsessed with reaching out for help while going through mental gymnastics. We're trying to help you orient yourself out of this delusion you're suffering. And it requires that you face off with the suggestions everyone is asking you to face off with. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SerenelyBlue said:

You realise the only sources we have for Jesus on a cross are from four contradictory self serving letters written by people trying to convince other people of their "truth"?

Even if it was historically unambiguous that a man named Jesus who claimed to be Christ was crucified, that in no way tells you whether he actually was the son of God.

Here's another thought - why is Christianity so much like other religions if its God inspired and the one true religion? Other religions had God's having sons, and gods dying and rising long before the gospels were written. Why is God copying humanity? You go read God myths from the surrounding Greeks, Romans, Babylonians, and Egyptians and tell me that the stories told in the bible are different and unique. They aren't - they are the same stories simply rehashed by the people for their audience.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, SerenelyBlue said:

I wasn't bashing anyone.  Paul said exactly the same thing using different terminology.  Most of my posts are backed up by scripture and therefore are Holy Spirit inspired.  The writers of the Bible, although human were inspired by the Holy Spirit.  I learn as I go along the path back to Christ.  I wasn't bashing anyone.

Sorry, but you don't get to decide how we interpret your words.  If we think it sounds like a bashing, it is.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SerenelyBlue said:

I learn as I go along.  Scripture has its failings.  Written by men.  But they were inspired by God.  God uses scripture to speak to us.

Scripture has its failings.

Written by men.

Men were inspired by God.

So says the scriptures

Which has its failings.

Written by men who say god uses scripture to speak to us.

The Quran has its failings.

Written by men.

Men were inspired by God.

So says the Quran

Which has its failings.

Written by men who say god uses the Quran to speak to us

By this logic, any publication in which the author claims that god is speaking to them should be believed? Why should I? Oh thats right, because scripture. . ..which has its failings . . . written by men. . . Says so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, SerenelyBlue said:

I wasn't bashing.  I was stating fact.  You won't believe God speaks through scripture.  When you were spirit filled you realized that there is a God and it was foolish to assert there isn't one.  You are now in a new realm where you don't see the obvious anymore.  Hopeless, unless you once more give in to the Spirit.

When I was "spirit filled" I believed there was a God because I had faith that the Bible was true and my mind and emotions went with the idea. Once I set aside emotions, preachers, commentaries, footnotes, and etc. and read the Bible itself I saw that it couldn't be true (although it does contain some wisdom common to man) and then the faith that I had no longer had a foundation, so it crumbled.

I don't assert that there is no God though. There might be one somewhere, but I doubt that it's one of the man made ones. The God I admit could exist, the one that would have set the entire Universe in motion after having created it, would be above animal sacrifices. Such a God wouldn't need infidels to be beheaded, or bulls and goats to be burned as a sacrifice, nor would such a God create a reality where he would be legally bound to send himself to die in order to prevent himself from sending his entire creation to a Hell that he created. 

I've been in both realms H. I also have some of the same mental health problems that you do which is why I consider you a compatriot here, if not an outright friend. It's why I've stuck up for you in the past and still do, whether I agree with you or not.

It's true that when I was a Christian I was gung-ho and couldn't understand how everyone didn't see the "the Truth".  I realized at some point though that such observations are akin to the Ford vs. Chevy/ Pepsi vs. Coke mentality. We all want to root for the team we are on at the time. We are tribal. We want to be on the winning side. 

Sometimes it all seems like a mind-fuck. Maybe it all is? Believe what you want to believe, but I don't think anyone of us should choose beliefs that make us feel good because there will always be a nagging doubt if we do. We certainly shouldn't adopt life changing beliefs based on fear or ultimatums, let alone hear-say evidence which is no evidence at all.

My advice would be for you to keep digging and don't stop until you are sure. Don't trust your emotions or the way you feel or your medication. Dig deep and trust yourself, and make sure that it is only yourself that you trust to find the truth. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Duderonomy, apparently my ability to use the "like" button is disabled. . . . Wow that was so well said!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

And I sense the presence of a heavily self deluded man, obsessed with reaching out for help while going through mental gymnastics. We're trying to help you orient yourself out of this delusion you're suffering. And it requires that you face off with the suggestions everyone is asking you to face off with. 

I am stable and normal thank you.  I appreciate your concern.  I am not reaching out for anything.  Please treat me like an ordinary Christian.

2 hours ago, SerenelyBlue said:

I am stable and normal thank you.  I appreciate your concern.  I am not reaching out for anything.  Please treat me like an ordinary Christian.

Do ordinary christians post mental gymnastics going around and around, going between belief and non-belief, announcing that they're on medication and suffer mental illness just to put it out there to everyone? Do they, in the middle of a religious tirade suddenly announce that they're "agnostic" abruptly and without prior context? 

You're not here for us, you're here for you. 

• Like 3

Don't kid youself into thinking that you understand me.  

• Super Moderator

SB, for your continued so-called stable, normal mental health, you really should take your christian shtick to a christian site where you will be among like-thinking believers.  You're not winning any souls for christ here.  In fact, you're having just the opposite effect.      

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
53 minutes ago, SerenelyBlue said:

I'm not even sure you understand you.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
4 hours ago, SerenelyBlue said:

Are you sure you want us to do that?  For the past three years, you have freely shared with us the ups-and-downs of your mental condition.  Therefore we've been treating you with kid gloves during this most recent episode.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

SB, may I suggest you take a voluntary hiatus from here for awhile. You obviously need to straighten some things out with yourself and hanging out here is not helping. Talk to some other folks in bipolar and/or Christian sites and chat rooms. We have nothing to offer you here. In a couple of months you can update us on your progress, okay? At this point I am only making a suggestion.

• Thanks 2

Why aren't you chasing away end, but you are telling me to move on?

I will go if you want me to go.

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, SerenelyBlue said:

Why aren't you chasing away end, but you are telling me to move on?

You are not end3. Frequently you are not even you. We all want to help you but we can't.

@SerenelyBlue

You do not understand the emotional and hormonal/biological issues that make you prone to react to triggers that pull you towards or away from religion.

You also fail to understand how there are others, myself included and myself especially, who are often triggered in the opposite way.

This place, and very specifically this subforum, is not a place where it is safe to engage in absolutist language and diatribe.

I have never met a Christian who did not eventually insist upon the veracity of some point of religiosity. Dialogue seems not to exist unless belief in the Christian god is presumed to be the end goal.

You don't even pretend to dialogue. Your religious outbursts manic episodes are nothing more than attempts to self-convince and build yourself a temporary mental roadblock.

You're trying to protect yourself from admitting that you need deeper, more acute mental/emotional/psychological help.

Trust me when I tell you that you will never get well without losing the pride and arrogance that comes from refusing to get help.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SerenelyBlue said:

You're here for what reason? What is this all about? And why haven't you gone off to christian based websites to discuss jesus with the believers? What is so attractive about continuously posting to non believers? 

@SerenelyBlue You can believe whatever you like. I'm sorry someone in your life really drilled it into you that you have to prove or argue that you're right (and that we're wrong). I can't help but notice how much time you've been spending on this website, though, and wonder whether you're here (despite everything you say) because you're lonely and the people here are giving you attention? The way you spend your time, and the people you spend it with, really reflects who you are, you know? If Xians are so much better and wiser than us, then why don't you open up to them and spend more time with them? I suspect, though, that you already tried that. Remember, *you* came here, first, in the beginning, asking for our comfort. No one made you come here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1