Goodbye Jesus

Are All Sins Equal?

22 hours ago, Thumbelina said:

The biblical texts give hope to offenders. The bible stresses being an overcomer (Revelation 2:11).

9Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.11And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God. 1 Corinthians 6:9-11

I emphasized the parts of the text which show that God does not condemn people who committed the sins mentioned.

I thought John 3:16 covered all of this already.  Believe and be saved.  Why is there the need to clarify?

9 hours ago, PurpleLilac said:

This is such a surreal thread. Do y’all often debate scriptures on Ex-C? It seems very weird to me,like why not nit pick some other old book?

Because most other old books don't claim to be perfect.  The Bible not only claims perfection, but claims that, through intermediaries, God Himself wrote it.  If God is perfect and the Bible has flaws, then God isn't perfect and the book can't be trusted.

• Super Moderator
On 11/21/2018 at 1:36 PM, Thumbelina said:

The biblical texts give hope to offenders. The bible stresses being an overcomer (Revelation 2:11).

9Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.11And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God. 1 Corinthians 6:9-11

I emphasized the parts of the text which show that God does not condemn people who committed the sins mentioned.

Thank you for your quick interpretation of what this text means, and exactly my issue with all of it. @Thumbelina you are making a knowledge claim for which you have no evidence to back it up. And when I say evidence, I mean going all the way back and establishing point by point that the collective writings that compose the Bible are indeed inspired (whatever that means) by a diety in our universe. That quite frankly would just be the starting point, then we would have to have a systematic way of interpreting these text since everyone who reads it comes to different conclusions. Guarantee I could find ten denominations in five mintues that say you are wrong in your theology, your interpretation, orthodoxy and practice. And you are going to hell because of it. I know because I spent years trying to figure all this out and realized there is absolutely no way to actually know if any of this is true. Multiple passages in the Bible do not comport with our knowledge of the earth, or the universe,  nor is it even internally cogent and consistent. A literal interpretation of Genesis is impossible unless all of our current scientific knowledge in every field is wrong on almost every account, and I am not sure how that would even be possible. Miracles, oracles from God, talking donkeys, angels, demons, etc. are not an obvious part of our lives, but these occurences are scattered through the NT and OT. If these things did happen and are real parts of our universe, why are they not happening for all to see? Too much to ask from a loving God? All I want is the same revelation these biblical characters supposedly had. Why can I not hear it from the horses mouth? Why should I believe the stories of ancients? The ancients had a pretty good track record of making things up. 

I know right now you think you have figured it all out, but your conviction of knowledge does not mean you have knowledge. You are making knowledge claims that are really just theology claims. You do not know if your claims are true, somebody either told you they were, you believe they are, or it just feels right. None of those equal actual knowledge. 

I am guessing you are from a Protestant background, did you know that Martin Luther thought very little of Revelation? He actually thought it should be tossed out of canon, quite literally into the Elbe river. I mention this because you are making claims with such confidence as if all the weight of church history backs you, and it does not.

I recommend reading "Lost Christianities," by Bart Ehrman. Even the earliest known Christian movements did not agree about major theological issues. The divinity of Jesus just being one.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah all sins are equal to zero. As they do not exist. Being gay isnt anything wrong except to either the closet cases, or the ones with a member that is equivalent to a pimple, that couldnt please a flea. The gay hating women are usually jealous they cant have the gay guys 🤣

• Super Moderator
On 11/20/2018 at 11:36 PM, Thumbelina said:

Multiple orgasms are for overcomers.  Sadly, premature ejaculation is a shortcoming.