The Apostle Paul goes briefly into the kinds of things that will keep a person from inheriting the Kingdom of Heaven.  Some are more publicized than others.  Homosexuality tops the list, of course.  Here in Kentucky we still have dry counties, supported by local churches, taking care of drunkards.  Gambling remains illegal in many states.  Lying, not so much.  It's kind of one of the big ten, and the Bible even says to let your yeses be yeses and your noes to be noes.  It's not that much of a thing, though it gets brought up in church occasionally.

What I'm really getting at is the sin of gluttony.  I live in the fried food belt, and it shows.  How many fat people are going to Hell for not being able to put down the Twinkies?  I'm reminded of John Hagee, who's definitely a fat bastard who preaches about just about everything else but his weight.  So does God, who supposedly can't abide by any sin whatsoever, hate fat people as much as gay people?  Thoughts?

Thank you for your support
Buy Ex-C a cup of coffee!
Costs have significantly risen and we need your support! Click the coffee cup to give a one-time donation, or choose one of the recurrent patron options.
Note: All Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.
1 hour ago, 1989 said:

The Apostle Paul goes briefly into the kinds of things that will keep a person from inheriting the Kingdom of Heaven.  Some are more publicized than others.  Homosexuality tops the list, of course.  Here in Kentucky we still have dry counties, supported by local churches, taking care of drunkards.  Gambling remains illegal in many states.  Lying, not so much.  It's kind of one of the big ten, and the Bible even says to let your yeses be yeses and your noes to be noes.  It's not that much of a thing, though it gets brought up in church occasionally.

What I'm really getting at is the sin of gluttony.  I live in the fried food belt, and it shows.  How many fat people are going to Hell for not being able to put down the Twinkies?  I'm reminded of John Hagee, who's definitely a fat bastard who preaches about just about everything else but his weight.  So does God, who supposedly can't abide by any sin whatsoever, hate fat people as much as gay people?  Thoughts?

Ya know, I always wondered about this, myself. Most people can be cool with never murdering, or even doin' anything vaguely homosexual or thereabouts. But what if they gossip, are unnecessarily cruel, don't feed the hungry or clothe the nekkid, or just eat a bit too much? That's fallin' short, ain't it? Aw, God gonna zap 'em!

As I recall, the premise of Christianity is that God can't tolerate or be in the presence of any sin, his laws are impossible for mortal man to keep (thus requiring the committing of sin) and the result is we need the blanket atonement of the Jesus blood sacrifice to cover them for us. With God's zero tolerance of sin they would all bring the same result from his perspective; sin is sin. People, however, differentiate between sins because we all seem to think murder and rape are worse than eating shellfish. Silly humans.

• Like 1

We can simply turn to the bible to see how god cannot tolerate sin in the slightest.

The first time sin is actually mentioned is just before Cain kills Abel.  Cain then kills Abel and this is clearly now a sin.  God must now deal with this.  In person.  An example of god metering out punishment for a crime that he had specifically warned again.  And how?  By obliterating Cain of course.  Oh, wait, no by marking him out and making sure that no one will kill Cain.  Cain gets away with fratricide.  God's will is done.

God literally does not give a shit about murder.  He really doesn't care.  He came to Cain knowing that he was about to murder Abel.  Cain murdered Abel.  God protected Cain.  His only real punishment was, I guess, banishment to the even more wastelandier wasteland?  Where he somehow found a wife (still a mystery here), had kids and founded the first cities.  His death was silly but no more than lots of others throughout history so all-in-all a success considering this supposedly no-nonsense god.

We can go ahead and try to talk about how the flood may have been some form of justice but that flood caught Adam and Eve's good kid's offspring just as much as it did evil old Cain's so that's really a non-starter as far as this goes.

The only possible argument left is god will get Cain in the afterlife for which there's no evidence.  We would expect god should carry out his punishments immediately like he tells us to do.  Cain sinned.  God did a form of punishment but then there's another punishment later on as well?  It just gets worse the more you think about it.

mwc

I’m not sure if the obesity problem is entirely about gluttony. There are so many other contributing factors such as our sedentary jobs, fast food being cheaper than fresh fruit and vegetables, and lack of education about how sugar plays havoc with our satiety.

I’m not overweight but my sister-in-laws are. They overeat to calm their anxiety, which is caused by the sexual abuse they suffered as children.

Does god judge all gluttony equally? Or does he judge each glutton according to their circumstances? IS GOD JUST??

Me thinks not...

Is your question; does an imaginary God judge imaginary sin? And if found guilty will you be condemned to an imaginary hell? The answer is yes if you believe in an imaginary God and imaginary sin. The answer is definitely no, if you don't believe in an imaginary God. :jesus: :fdevil::fun:

• Like 1

Homosexuality never was a sin.  When god said a man should not lie with another man the way he lies with a woman, he meant that it was okay to lie to your girl about being out at the bar; but, under no circumstance, were you to lie to the guys you were drinking with.  It was god's way of saying "Bros before hoes."  It just got lost in translation.

• Haha 3

All sins are supposed to be judged equally but that doesn't mean all sins are equally fun.

mwc

I'm late, as usual. My understanding is that the thing that makes a sin a sin is that the person has followed their own will instead of the god's will.  So, in Romans 14, Paul (or whomever the author is) is talking about eating meat that was part of a sacrifice to idols. He says that since the idol is nothing, then it's nothing to eat the meat... if you know the idol isn't anything then the meat is just meat.

However, he adds that if you doubt that eating it is okay and you do it anyway, you've sinned because of your doubt. The idea is that you didn't care whether the god approved or not, you just did what you wanted... i.e. followed your own will.

And that's why all sins would be equal if this god were real. It isn't about the deed itself, it's about whose will you're doing, so murder isn't murder, it's self-will. Lying isn't lying, it's self-will. Lust isn't lust, it's self-will. There is only one sin and either you've committed it or you haven't... or, actually, you have committed it, and either you've been forgiven of it or not. First time you hit your brother or sister as a kid when you were "old enough to know better," you did something according to your own will, so it's off to Hell with you!

• Like 1