Goodbye Jesus

Should We Expect a Higher Consciousness

Guest end3

• Super Moderator
30 minutes ago, end3 said:

YET, we seem to have a shared version of experience when we are describing or attempting to describe love.

Again, people have differing definitions of love. The Marquis De Sade had a different definition than I. Jim Jones had a different definition. OT writers had a rather starkly different view of love than the NT writers.

Love is kind, love is never having to say you're sorry, love is feeding the poor, love is allowing the poor to fend for themselves for their own good, love is obedience, love is subservience, tough love, romantic love, self love.......

1 hour ago, florduh said:

Again, people have differing definitions of love. The Marquis De Sade had a different definition than I. Jim Jones had a different definition. OT writers had a rather starkly different view of love than the NT writers.

Love is kind, love is never having to say you're sorry, love is feeding the poor, love is allowing the poor to fend for themselves for their own good, love is obedience, love is subservience, tough love, romantic love, self love.......

What is the purpose of love

16 minutes ago, end3 said:

People have differing interpretations of that too, which relate to how they define it. 

• Super Moderator
54 minutes ago, end3 said:

What is the purpose of life? What is the purpose of BBQ? What is the purpose of fishing? But first, how do you define life, BBQ and fishing?

Higher consciousness could be that which gives rise to matter.

• Super Moderator
31 minutes ago, midniterider said:

Higher consciousness could be that which gives rise to matter.

Or matter is what gives rise to consciousness,  given that, as far as we know, without a physical brain, there is no consciousness. 

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 4:28 PM, florduh said:

What is the purpose of life? What is the purpose of BBQ? What is the purpose of fishing? But first, how do you define life, BBQ and fishing?

Love is like baseball....a constant.

• Super Moderator
4 hours ago, end3 said:

Love is like baseball....a constant.

You realize baseball is pretty much only played here in America, which makes this a terrible comparison.

• Haha 1

Where is antlerman. Will he return to the Forum...I read his Spiritual (for lack of a better word) experience at age 18 and another later in life and would like to no more about it.

21 minutes ago, NeverHealed52Years said:

Where is antlerman. Will he return to the Forum...I read his Spiritual (for lack of a better word) experience at age 18 and another later in life and would like to no more about it.

He moved on....he kind of got sideways with the lack of acknowledgement of a spiritual side to reality.  I think he was a member of Religious Forums after leaving....not sure if that is the exact name.  We had many good discussions back in the day...

Dang. I have trouble reading the screen and have a really slow small Dorm PC so It takes me forever to try to call up and read all his past posts in hopes of getting more about his two experiences.

I had a much smaller, quick, less awesome experience a couple years ago when I read  in the Bible about not listening to Doctrines of men and slammed the bible shut and said OK I wont. I wanted to compare what I experienced to his. Oh well.

Thanks so much for being kind enuf to  write me back (Quickly too!) and let me know.

40 minutes ago, NeverHealed52Years said:

Dang. I have trouble reading the screen and have a really slow small Dorm PC so It takes me forever to try to call up and read all his past posts in hopes of getting more about his two experiences.

I had a much smaller, quick, less awesome experience a couple years ago when I read  in the Bible about not listening to Doctrines of men and slammed the bible shut and said OK I wont. I wanted to compare what I experienced to his. Oh well.

Thanks so much for being kind enuf to  write me back (Quickly too!) and let me know.

I think some of those conversations about his experience(s) might be in the inerrancy thread pinned at the top of the Lion's Den.  We are friends on FB if you would like me to ask him if it would be ok to figure out to message him. 

7 hours ago, NeverHealed52Years said:

If you are having a spiritual experience you must be hallucinating!

If you are learning some scientific facts or checking the results of a scientific experiment, you cannot possibly be hallucinating!

(haha)

Thanks End3. I will look at the inerrancy thread first. That helps a lot I was at a loss where to even start.

He has written so much (probably all of it over and over) so  I don't want to ask him to write it all again just for me.

However I will put your kind offer in my back pocket in case I need it later! :)

My biggest question is how, why HE was able to connect with the divine in such a big way. I have tried my whole life and not much occurred.

And IF he ever received physical healing for any problem while the Spiritual force that was inside and all around him paid him a visit. I cant seem to have this happen either.

Thanks again...I am off to read what he said!

2 minutes ago, NeverHealed52Years said:

Thanks End3. I will look at the inerrancy thread first. That helps a lot I was at a loss where to even start.

He has written so much (probably all of it over and over) so  I don't want to ask him to write it all again just for me.

However I will put your kind offer in my back pocket in case I need it later! :)

My biggest question is how, why HE was able to connect with the divine in such a big way. I have tried my whole life and not much occurred.

And IF he ever received physical healing for any problem while the Spiritual force that was inside and all around him paid him a visit. I cant seem to have this happen either.

Thanks again...I am off to read what he said!

If I'm remembering correctly....I believe he was at an extreme low in his life....post divorce maybe...or something regarding his son?...not sure.  He and I always had a difference of opinion if "It" was internal or external.  I now believe it can be both.  I don't, though, remember any accounts of physical healing....but it's been a long time .

18 hours ago, NeverHealed52Years said:

I had a much smaller, quick, less awesome experience a couple years ago when I read  in the Bible about not listening to Doctrines of men and slammed the bible shut and said OK I wont.

I sometimes wonder, what the bible would have been like, if it was the doctrines of women.

On 8/11/2018 at 11:51 AM, midniterider said:

I think we 'are' a higher consciousness pretending to not be.

This. I think the same thing.

On 8/16/2018 at 1:37 AM, midniterider said:

Stay crazy, Margee. :) It's liberating. OBEs and lucid dreaming are pretty wild experiences. I think once you have had these experiences, you begin to question how real reality actually is. :)

This was my experience with Lucid dreaming as well. I'm sure there are people who have had lucid dreams who remain completely anti-woo of all types, but for me it's really difficult not to be just a little woo friendly because there are too many experiences that really don't fit into "there can be no woo in the world" box. Though those experiences are only proof for the person who experiences it.

On 8/28/2018 at 7:59 AM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Cogito ergo sum.  This is the basis of our experience in life: I think, therefore I am.  The only thing we can be sure exists is our consciousness.  But even that is debatable given that we perceive our awareness through flawed senses.  With that said, I would suggest that we shouldn't even expect our own consciousness, let alone a higher one.

And yet all of our science is done through these flawed senses. If we can't even expect our own consciousness then pretty much all the data we collected with it can potentially go out the window. I'd be careful with that line of reasoning. :P If we can't even be totally sure of our own consciousness then we definitely can't rule out the existence of anything outside the perception of our flawed senses.

1 hour ago, VerbosityCat said:

This was my experience with Lucid dreaming as well. I'm sure there are people who have had lucid dreams who remain completely anti-woo of all types, but for me it's really difficult not to be just a little woo friendly because there are too many experiences that really don't fit into "there can be no woo in the world" box. Though those experiences are only proof for the person who experiences it.

Being a little woo friendly makes my life more enjoyable. Woo is not for everyone , though.

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, VerbosityCat said:

And yet all of our science is done through these flawed senses. If we can't even expect our own consciousness then pretty much all the data we collected with it can potentially go out the window. I'd be careful with that line of reasoning. :P If we can't even be totally sure of our own consciousness then we definitely can't rule out the existence of anything outside the perception of our flawed senses.

Nor should we.  But the repeatability of science is how we test our own perception of the data.  If my perception skews my interpretation of the results, then in theory, that will come to light during peer-review.

19 minutes ago, midniterider said:

Being a little woo friendly makes my life more enjoyable. Woo is not for everyone , though.

Yep and I'm cool with that.

12 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Nor should we.  But the repeatability of science is how we test our own perception of the data.  If my perception skews my interpretation of the results, then in theory, that will come to light during peer-review.

But if there are major fundamental flaws in human perception in general which you alluded to in the post I was replying to, then we are trying to make empircal statements based on repeating the same flawed perception over and over. Like fish don't know they are in water sort of thing. I'm not saying that's the case. I'm just playing devil's advocate here. The point is, on a very big level we can't know what we can't know. If there are things that exist outside our ability to perceive them we can do all the experiments we want and we won't find those things. It won't make their nonexistence a fact. It will just make that the limits of human perception.