Goodbye Jesus

Not a vessel

Samuel

I think one of the things I am struggling with is the space to form new opinions and really open myself up to new information and experiences.

Ive always valued having a deep sense of what I believe, and in Christianity you are told you are this vessel meant for another life form. But the premise is that empty is normal, and that is a lie. Like meditative states and all that are cool. But from a human developmental point of view what could be worse than to tell a child or make a child believe that an unformed psychology is optimal, or what could be worse than having parents who believe that their child should not contain things. Or even to think of a psychology as a container. I had parents who, I think, were clearly perplexed by this duality, of believing that people are just vessels, and then needing to educate their children and include vitally important things in their lives as they develop change and grow. A vessel doesn’t grow or develop complexity. But people do, they are irrevocably impacted by events for better or worse. And that’s the job of a parent to appreciate (I’m really just thinking this through as I’m writing FYI, kind of struggling with my thinking here to be honest) to bring coherence to the uses of a human mind, pick some worthwhile experiences, take advantage of learning situations, not by attacking the child as if they were bad, but working with what is there. There is almost a malpractice to Christianity in the parenting aspect.

I guess I just find myself longing for what I didn’t have especially the logic and coherence of being interacted with like a human, rather than an object to be impacted by beliefs.

It’s true my parents had four kids of which I was the third, and my dad was stressed, worked too much. When I think of their religious lives I just think, you didn’t have to take all that on. And it didn’t work out for me and I’m tired of being embarrassed to say how bad it was. 

• Like 4

Christianity, in a literal form, is abusive by nature. When that is adopted by strict people, they mean well by forcing their kids into it (imparting their own fear of damnation and an angry god), but it cannot be anything but abuse. (I have a brother in law raising his kids like this, somewhat, not as extreme as your own parents)  They failed to recognize that a "father" who wants blood payment for disobedience isn't good or holy, but evil. They didn't see that the bible god is a narcissist consumed with his own perceived greatness, and who shames and harms anyone who won't kowtow (whole book of Job, which may be one of the first bible books written). They didn't recognize that the bible god is psychotic, pouring out blessing on mass murder and rape, while killing anyone that transgresses one of his rules. The claim is always that he's "holy", but he isn't. Cruel, vindictive, harsh, mean, bloodthirsty, and demanding that his followers "die to self" daily, and become only his own reflection so he can once again feel how great he thinks he is.

You are correct. Being a "vessel" for such an alien is the opposite of all that humans can be if we are taught logic, self-confidence, scientific method, skepticism, along with empathy and kindness that keep us all from being assholes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 8/11/2018 at 11:28 AM, Fuego said:

Christianity, in a literal form, is abusive by nature.

This. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

We are born complete. We are okay. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

• Like 2

Welcome. I hope you enjoy the site.  The malpractice you speak of is being brainwashed and told that we are all born sinners because of one man's sin. (Adam)

And then the parenting skills will revolve around making the son or daughter aware of sin so much (so they can keep them on the right 'track' to god) that they end up living a totally guilty life because we continue to 'sin'. You were not born in sin. No such thing as sin. Right and wrong of course....but no sin as such. Genesis is a totally mythical book written by man. You are free! There wasn't any talking serpent!! (hug)

• Like 3