duderonomy

300 "Predator Priests" / Grand Jury Report

21 hours ago, Fweethawt said:

That's some old-school shit right there. People have been making this claim about the Vatican since the beginning of forever.

I know, right? But with or without Biblegod, the Roman Catholic Church is vile evil and sick.  In my humble opinion, of course, plus because facts.

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

12 hours ago, Fweethawt said:

Too bad that's an Onion article... 

Well, there is a lot of truth to it.

On 8/26/2018 at 1:20 PM, older said:

“It’s only gotten worse over the years because regular people would much rather have actual experiences in the real world than be cooped up in a rectory insisting that they’re married to God or whatever. We’d bet that if we relaxed the rules, reformed the power dynamics, and allowed priests to marry and have sex, we wouldn’t be overrun by monsters who can’t function in normal society, but we’re not going to do that, so it’s just going to be a bunch of freaks and deviants from here on out. Honestly, the way the Church currently operates is pretty much designed to appeal only to sick fucks who know they’ll get away with moral atrocities, if you think about it.”

If the Pope were an honest man, he'd just insert this Onion text in his next "encyclical." 

Of course, he's as much of a deviant as the rest of them. 

1 hour ago, Blood said:

“It’s only gotten worse over the years because regular people would much rather have actual experiences in the real world than be cooped up in a rectory insisting that they’re married to God or whatever. We’d bet that if we relaxed the rules, reformed the power dynamics, and allowed priests to marry and have sex, we wouldn’t be overrun by monsters who can’t function in normal society, but we’re not going to do that, so it’s just going to be a bunch of freaks and deviants from here on out. Honestly, the way the Church currently operates is pretty much designed to appeal only to sick fucks who know they’ll get away with moral atrocities, if you think about it.”

If the Pope were an honest man, he'd just insert this Onion text in his next "encyclical." 

Of course, he's as much of a deviant as the rest of them. 

This is what makes no sense to me - the idea that allowing priests to marry would fix this problem.  Riiiiiight.   All those sick men who prey on kids would suddenly stop with relief and say, "Whew!  Now I can have sex with my wife and never feel the need to molest a child again!"  Complete BS!  This religion attracts pedophiles because they can hide who they are.  Out in the real world, people look askance at 45 year old men who have never married or had girlfriends or boyfriends, and everyone assumes (whether fair or not) that there is something "questionable" about that.  If they are priests, no one bats an eye.  They get paid to be the center of attention, practically worshiped, and have parents happily offering their children to them believing they are a good influence!  It's the perfect occupation for a pedophile!

1 hour ago, Daffodil said:

This is what makes no sense to me - the idea that allowing priests to marry would fix this problem.  Riiiiiight.   All those sick men who prey on kids would suddenly stop with relief and say, "Whew!  Now I can have sex with my wife and never feel the need to molest a child again!"  Complete BS!  This religion attracts pedophiles because they can hide who they are.  Out in the real world, people look askance at 45 year old men who have never married or had girlfriends or boyfriends, and everyone assumes (whether fair or not) that there is something "questionable" about that.  If they are priests, no one bats an eye.  They get paid to be the center of attention, practically worshiped, and have parents happily offering their children to them believing they are a good influence!  It's the perfect occupation for a pedophile!

The bank robber Willie Sutton was once asked why he robbed banks. Perhaps on the principle that a silly question deserves a silly answer, he replied, "Because they keep money in them!" If you asked a paedophile why they work in a school or a church they'd answer, "Because there's kids there!" Same thing.

Casey

• Thanks 1

I think it's more complicated than that. I assume that many of these people came from hardcore Catholic families, where the priest is held in the highest esteem. As a teenager, your hardcore Catholic family is encouraging you to become a priest and make your family proud. It all sounds very meaningful and important until you turn 16 and sexual hormones start kicking in. You learn (not necessarily from your parents) that these urges are sinful and by suppressing them, you overcome frail human temptations and thereby "draw closer to Christ." You begin to look at yourself as that rare human who is somehow able to rise above "sins of the flesh" and other "worldly" ideas. It solidifies your decision to become a priest. Society and politicians look up to religious authorities -- why wouldn't you want that position and power? 

But after a few years, your sexual repression starts to develop into a pathology.  It all goes downhill from there.

As far as I know, nobody's done any in-depth interviews with any of the accused priests in any of these cases. I guess that's to prevent the writer/interviewer from appearing sympathetic to the priest, but I'd really like to know how these pathologies develop in the priest's mind. They're far removed from reality by being immersed in the "faith" to begin with, so it isn't really much of a stretch to develop multiple mental problems and dangerous pathologies from that basic situation. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blood said:

I think it's more complicated than that. I assume that many of these people came from hardcore Catholic families, where the priest is held in the highest esteem. As a teenager, your hardcore Catholic family 

is encouraging you to become a priest and make your family proud. It all sounds very meaningful and important until you turn 16 and sexual hormones start kicking in. You learn (not necessarily from your parents) that these urges are sinful and by suppressing them, you overcome frail human temptations and thereby "draw closer to Christ." You begin to look at yourself as that rare human who is somehow able to rise above "sins of the flesh" and other "worldly" ideas. It solidifies your decision to become a priest. Society and politicians look up to religious authorities -- why wouldn't you want that position and power? 

But after a few years, your sexual repression starts to develop into a pathology.  It all goes downhill from there.

As far as I know, nobody's done any in-depth interviews with any of the accused priests in any of these cases. I guess that's to prevent the writer/interviewer from appearing sympathetic to the priest, but I'd really like to know how these pathologies develop in the priest's mind. They're far removed from reality by being immersed in the "faith" to begin with, so it isn't really much of a stretch to develop multiple mental problems and dangerous pathologies from that basic situation. 

I disagree but have no research to back it up.  I just can't see how a young man of 16 who would have completely normal interests in the opposite sex would grow into an older man who has completely abnormal interests in 8-year-old boys.  Perhaps it's more of a situation where the teenager has abnormal interests already, is very religious and thinks becoming a priest will help him control those urges, only to find that they were not controlled so much as suppressed and things suppressed always find a way to resurface.  I don't know, of course, but would also be really interested in the psychology of these predator priests.

18 hours ago, Daffodil said:

I disagree but have no research to back it up.  I just can't see how a young man of 16 who would have completely normal interests in the opposite sex would grow into an older man who has completely abnormal interests in 8-year-old boys.  Perhaps it's more of a situation where the teenager has abnormal interests already, is very religious and thinks becoming a priest will help him control those urges, only to find that they were not controlled so much as suppressed and things suppressed always find a way to resurface.  I don't know, of course, but would also be really interested in the psychology of these predator priests.

I don't have any research, either. I just think it's unfair to assume that the person starts off as a pedophile and joins the priesthood for that reason. I'm not denying that it could happen, and probably does happen, but I think the scenario I postulated -- the pathology develops over time from the self-denial of being a priest -- is the more likely cause in most cases. Since nobody, apparently, is going to actually do research on the priests themselves, we're not going to have any research to help us understand why this happened. 

The other aspect of this is changing views toward homosexuality, and the idea that sexual attraction to the opposite sex is "normal" and therefore attraction to the same sex is abnormal. Some of these men may be attracted to the priesthood because they are gay -- not pedophiles -- but the pathology develops over time from the starting point of denying one's homosexuality. Of course, one of the most common anti-gay slurs is that acceptance of homosexuality is a slippery slope toward acceptance of pedophilia. In the specific case of the priesthood, there could possibly be a link there. 

8 hours ago, Blood said:

I don't have any research, either. I just think it's unfair to assume that the person starts off as a pedophile and joins the priesthood for that reason. I'm not denying that it could happen, and probably does happen, but I think the scenario I postulated -- the pathology develops over time from the self-denial of being a priest -- is the more likely cause in most cases. Since nobody, apparently, is going to actually do research on the priests themselves, we're not going to have any research to help us understand why this happened. 

The other aspect of this is changing views toward homosexuality, and the idea that sexual attraction to the opposite sex is "normal" and therefore attraction to the same sex is abnormal. Some of these men may be attracted to the priesthood because they are gay -- not pedophiles -- but the pathology develops over time from the starting point of denying one's homosexuality. Of course, one of the most common anti-gay slurs is that acceptance of homosexuality is a slippery slope toward acceptance of pedophilia. In the specific case of the priesthood, there could possibly be a link there. 

I didn't mean to imply anything abnormal about homosexuality, was just trying to make the syntax a bit simpler.  You may be right, though.  The catholic church has always found homosexuality to be abnormal/sinful and anyone steeped in that religion would likely have some serious psychological issues with sexuality.  Heck, people with hetero inclinations would have psychological issues with all the "sex is dirty and to be done ONLY for procreation" crap they teach.

Several States Are Launching Their Own Investigations Into the Catholic Church -http://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2018/09/06/several-states-are-launching-their-own-investigations-into-the-catholic-church/

Why do we know all the sordid details about the Catholic Church’s child sex abuse scandal and cover-up in six Pennsylvania dioceses? It’s because Attorney General Josh Shapiro used his office to pursue the investigation (which began before he took office).

So why aren’t other attorneys general doing the same thing? Why aren’t they demanding records from the Catholic Church and investigating allegations of sexual abuse in their own states?

In fact, several of them are doing just that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fweethawt said:

Several States Are Launching Their Own Investigations Into the Catholic Church -http://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2018/09/06/several-states-are-launching-their-own-investigations-into-the-catholic-church/

Why do we know all the sordid details about the Catholic Church’s child sex abuse scandal and cover-up in six Pennsylvania dioceses? It’s because Attorney General Josh Shapiro used his office to pursue the investigation (which began before he took office).

So why aren’t other attorneys general doing the same thing? Why aren’t they demanding records from the Catholic Church and investigating allegations of sexual abuse in their own states?

In fact, several of them are doing just that.

Let it become a steamroller across the states!  After awhile, any state that does not initiate an investigation is going to become suspect for collusion.

• Like 1