duderonomy

300 "Predator Priests" / Grand Jury Report

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

This is horrific. A Pennsylvania grand jury spent two years investigating the Catholic Church Church of Pedophilia. You need to read the whole New York Times story. Here’s a link:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/14/us/catholic-church-sex-abuse-pennsylvania.html

And you NEED to read the sidebar I linked to below that includes excerpts from the grand jury report. 

Here are a couple of key paragraphs from the main story:

The report, which covered six of the state’s eight Catholic dioceses and found more than 1,000 identifiable victims, is the broadest examination yet by a government agency in the United States of child sexual abuse in the Catholic Church. The report said there are likely thousands more victims whose records were lost or who were too afraid to come forward.

It catalogs horrific instances of abuse: a priest who raped a young girl in the hospital after she had her tonsils out; a victim tied up and whipped with leather straps by a priest; and another priest who was allowed to stay in ministry after impregnating a young girl and arranging for her to have an abortion.

Also available at the above link is the entire 1356-page grand jury report.

And here are links to two sidebar stories. First, how they concealed it, and second, excerpts from the grand jury report. Be sure to read the excerpts:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/14/us/pennsylvania-child-abuse-catholic-church.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/14/us/catholic-priests-pennsylvania-church-jury.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

• Thanks 1

Yes, I read this one today http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/catholic-abuse-report-pennsylvania-1.4784445

And outright lies and denial from a key figure who covered it up. Why is this guy not in jail?

"The grand jury accused Cardinal Donald Wuerl, who leads the Washington archdiocese, of helping to protect abusive priests when he was Pittsburgh's bishop. Wuerl, who led the Pittsburgh diocese from 1988 to 2006, disputed the allegations.

"While I understand this report may be critical of some of my actions, I believe the report confirms that I acted with diligence, with concern for the victims and to prevent future acts of abuse," he said in a statement. "I sincerely hope that a just assessment of my actions, past and present, and my continuing commitment to the protection of children will dispel any notions otherwise made by this report."

• Thanks 1

Did you catch this part?

"The report is unlikely to lead to new criminal charges or civil lawsuits under the current law because the statute of limitations has expired. Only two of the cases in the report so far have led to criminal charges."

Over a period of 70 years, a large group of insane men raped, tortured, and mentally and physically abused children. With a couple of minor exceptions, they were not held accountable or punished in any way. Some are still living comfortably today. Let that sink in. A black guy stealing a pack of cigarettes is going to treated way more harshly by the law than these monsters. 

And why go back only 70 years? Are we to believe similar crimes against humanity weren't occurring prior to 1948? 

Remember how, whenever there's an Islamic terrorist attack, the right-wingers complain that other Muslims don't condemn the attacks? So where are all the good Christians condemning  their fellow Christians? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blood said:

Remember how, whenever there's an Islamic terrorist attack, the right-wingers complain that other Muslims don't condemn the attacks? So where are all the good Christians condemning  their fellow Christians? 

To be fair, many Protestant sects consider the RCC to be apostate if not Satanic and think the Pope is the Antichrist. IOW, they're not True Christians.

26 minutes ago, florduh said:

To be fair, many Protestant sects consider the RCC to be apostate if not Satanic and think the Pope is the Antichrist. IOW, they're not True Christians.

So true!

7 hours ago, florduh said:

But not for any logical reason like, say, decades of child molestation or anything like that. They believe the RCC to be Satanic because of some obscure Bible verses. Derp. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, florduh said:

The RCC is not True Christianty™  because if the Bible were true, the leaders of the church wouldn't be diddling babies. This isn't a Protestant vs. Catholic issue. This isn't a "Christian" issue. This is an issue of something larger than people know, IMHO, and I believe there is more of this kind of sick stuff that's going to come out, and it will also include more politicians and Hollywood types than we have heard about so far.

Either way, baby rape. This is bigger than arguing about denominations or joking about sects and who did who in the rectory.

This is real life. This stuff happened, and is happening. We've seen that even without this latest news. 

Sorry Florduh that I chose your post as a launching pad, but this isn't about religion only. It's about a a pervasive depravity. 300 priests in one area? This stuff is way huger than just this one area.

The Devil doesn't exist, but there are people who believe he does and act accordingly on both sides whether against him or for him.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, duderonomy said:

Either way, baby rape. This is bigger than arguing about denominations or joking about sects and who did who in the rectory.

I was merely addressing the point that  we notice how the good Muslims don't speak out against the bad Muslims and now we see the good Christians don't speak out about the bad Christians. I noted that many Protestants don't consider the Vatican gang to be Christian in the first place. Not an excuse, just a reason.

11 hours ago, florduh said:

I was merely addressing the point that  we notice how the good Muslims don't speak out against the bad Muslims and now we see the good Christians don't speak out about the bad Christians. I noted that many Protestants don't consider the Vatican gang to be Christian in the first place. Not an excuse, just a reason.

Yes I understand. That's why I said sorry for using your post as a launching pad. I could have just posted without having to reply to someone to do it. Again, sorry. My response wasn't all aimed at you. 

1 minute ago, duderonomy said:

Yes I understand. That's why I said sorry for using your post as a launching pad. I could have just posted without having to reply to someone to do it. Again, sorry. My response wasn't all aimed at you. 

I know, but I thought I might clarify my point for anybody interested. Christians especially are quick to disown others of their religion who worship differently. To me, all those who claim to worship Jesus are in fact Christians but those Christians aren't on board with that view because they are constantly told about apostates, end times falling away, false prophets, yada yada yada and of course that all applies to all those other fake Christians, not them. My guess is the current resurgence of the huge pedophile scandal will widen the gap between True Christians and Papists.

3 hours ago, florduh said:

I know, but I thought I might clarify my point for anybody interested. Christians especially are quick to disown others of their religion who worship differently. To me, all those who claim to worship Jesus are in fact Christians but those Christians aren't on board with that view because they are constantly told about apostates, end times falling away, false prophets, yada yada yada and of course that all applies to all those other fake Christians, not them. My guess is the current resurgence of the huge pedophile scandal will widen the gap between True Christians and Papists.

Fair enough. I guess my thoughts are more with the kids that are getting raped than with any widening rift between the various sects of stupid. Again my bad I guess because my OP didn't explain that.

The shocking thing to me is why so many Catholics continue to attend Mass and call themselves Catholic.  And protestants are not immune to pedophilia.  More and more denominations are waking up to their own scandals, they just are not organized under one massive umbrella like Catholicism, so they can't hide it as well.  I thought Pope Francis was this wonderful, truly humble, progressive figurehead who was going to help Catholicism regain some dignity?  Has he said a word about this yet?  Does he care?

6 hours ago, Daffodil said:

The shocking thing to me is why so many Catholics continue to attend Mass and call themselves Catholic.  And protestants are not immune to pedophilia.  More and more denominations are waking up to their own scandals, they just are not organized under one massive umbrella like Catholicism, so they can't hide it as well.  I thought Pope Francis was this wonderful, truly humble, progressive figurehead who was going to help Catholicism regain some dignity?  Has he said a word about this yet?  Does he care?

Do you really think that bishops that move these pedo priests around and cover for them, or help them get jobs at Disney, would elect a nice clean new Pope that wasn't involved and that might actually do something about the perversion?

The last I heard was that the Vatican had no comment at first. Then I saw that the Vatican i.e. the Pope said that we should have mercy... towards the priests.

The news is out there but I'm not going to post links and get into a battle of sources with anyone. People can search this out for themselves, and should, instead of relying on the Fox or CNN types. 

6 minutes ago, duderonomy said:

Do you really think that bishops that move these pedo priests around and cover for them, or help them get jobs at Disney, would elect a nice clean new Pope that wasn't involved and that might actually do something about the perversion?

The last I heard was that the Vatican had no comment at first. Then I saw that the Vatican i.e. the Pope said that we should have mercy... towards the priests.

The news is out there but I'm not going to post links and get into a battle of sources with anyone. People can search this out for themselves, and should, instead of relying on the Fox or CNN types. 

So is his reputation, that started to be promoted the moment he was chosen, a product of a propaganda blitz?  It seemed that he was ticking off a number of people at the Vatican when he started out and was impressing the pants off of progressive Catholics.  Was it all an elaborate ruse to distract from issues with the previous pope?  I'm feeling more and more that there is something very suspicious about him.  

Wow...

Religion, the perfect place for Pedos to hide and appear respectable.  

11 hours ago, Burnedout said:

Wow...

Religion, the perfect place for Pedos to hide and appear respectable.  

Remember that line from Hamlet: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"? Those that protest the loudest are often the biggest offenders.

• Like 3

On 8/17/2018 at 10:18 PM, Daffodil said:

So is his reputation, that started to be promoted the moment he was chosen, a product of a propaganda blitz?  It seemed that he was ticking off a number of people at the Vatican when he started out and was impressing the pants off of progressive Catholics.  Was it all an elaborate ruse to distract from issues with the previous pope?  I'm feeling more and more that there is something very suspicious about him.  

Why would the church that most of us knew and were part of, need to be its own State, have to have its own bank, its own billions of dollars, and would it keep shuffling pedophiles around year after year and covering for them? 

Believe the Bible or not, this not what is called for or described in the Bible as becoming the Church.

The Vatican is the smallest nation on earth, the Pope is its elected leader, and it is evil, greedy, lustful, perverted, and filthy whether one looks at it in terms of the Bible or common human decency.  If there was a Satan, the Catholic Church would be his stronghold, full of wells without water and clouds without rain, leaving thousands of battered and abused children in its wake to compliment the hundreds of people it has burned alive while tied to a stake, the money made for forgiveness sold, and I could go on.

There are real facts to be found if one looks. Most people in the pews are ok, but the rest of the RCC makes me wish that there was a punishment that death can't shelter them from. 

So yeah, I can see where you might be feeling more and more that there is something suspicious about the Pope, Daffy.   

• Haha 1

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/23/ireland-catholic-church-protesters-pope-mass-tickets-protest

Say Nope to the Pope: Irish snap up tickets to see pontiff – with no plan to go

In mass protest, demonstrators against Catholic church apply for free tickets but will not be attending

Many are angry about child sexual abuse and its covering up, the cruel treatment of vulnerable young women in the Magdalene laundries and the forced or coerced adoption of babies born to unmarried women.

Indian anger over pope's sex abuse letter -https://www.ucanews.com/news/indian-anger-over-popes-sex-abuse-letter/83152

Women say atoning for clerical misdeeds is no substitute for punishment and reform.

Pope Francis' call for fasting and prayer to atone for the sexual misdeeds of clergy has evoked angry responses from leading Catholic women in India who are demanding action to stem such crimes.The Aug. 20 papal letter asked for forgiveness for clerical abuse a week after a U.S. court investigation reported that over 300 "predator priests" in the state of Pennsylvania had abused more than 1,000 children over several decades.Pope Francis stated that fasting could drive a desire for justice through a commitment to truth and charity."Making the laity fast and pray is not the solution," female theologian Kochurani Abraham told ucanews.com. "Clerical sexual infidelity should be punished and not hidden under the carpet."She said the church needs to make a distinction between sin and crime. "Sin is something that you can repent and be absolved of," Abraham said. "But crime has to be punished." The sooner the church realized this, the better, she added.

Pray, fast, ask for forgiveness to your heart's content.  Unless you DO something to make amends and stop the continuing abuses, your precious religion will disappear at a faster and faster rate until it is all but forgotten.  After all, if there were 300 abusing priests and 1,000+ victims at just ONE diocese, what is happening at all the others!?!  Oh wait, just saw this:

http://click1.mail.patheos.com/jfrqhdrnvmkwhrdbwtshtwzqqqwnfptvspvfjmsbtnmmnr_vgmpgyryp.html

Yup, it's time to expose this beast for what it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know I've brought this point up over and over again to the point where it's like beating a dead horse, but if you're going to denounce people in the Catholic church for not doing anything about this stuff, then god would be just as guilty is he exists. There's really no way for them to justify god seeing and doing nothing while denouncing the Catholic leadership for responding in the exact same way. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Daffodil said:

Pray, fast, ask for forgiveness to your heart's content.  Unless you DO something to make amends and stop the continuing abuses, your precious religion will disappear at a faster and faster rate until it is all but forgotten.  After all, if there were 300 abusing priests and 1,000+ victims at just ONE diocese, what is happening at all the others!?!  Oh wait, just saw this:

http://click1.mail.patheos.com/jfrqhdrnvmkwhrdbwtshtwzqqqwnfptvspvfjmsbtnmmnr_vgmpgyryp.html

Yup, it's time to expose this beast for what it is.

Hmmm...Who gave power to this beast that sits in Rome, a city on seven hills?  OMG!

Just kidding. Sort of.    :twitch:  

2 hours ago, duderonomy said:

Hmmm...Who gave power to this beast that sits in Rome, a city on seven hills?  OMG!

Just kidding. Sort of.    :twitch:  

That's some old-school shit right there. People have been making this claim about the Vatican since the beginning of forever.