Sign in to follow this  
Anushka

Wow

This reminds me of a story I read about a decade ago or so.  A Swedish woman was working at a hotel in Dubai when she was offered a drink by one of her male co-workers.  The drink was drugged, and she was gang raped.  After she went to the police, she was arrested for having drunk the alcohol.  The men weren't prosecuted because in the UAE four or five men have to corroborate a sexual offense in court.  So the rapists certainly wouldn't implicate themselves and no one else was there to speak in the woman's defense.  To make it worse, the government had her passport, which I guess was customary for foreigners' work VISAs, so after she got out of jail she couldn't go home.  Eventually that part was worked out, she got back to Sweden, and I'll never touch foot in the UAE.

In essence, things haven't changed in the Middle East, and they probably never really will.

Okay, I should check my sources better and rely on my memories less.  Here's the story I was referencing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosecution_of_Marte_Dalelv

Oops.  Still bad though, just not nearly as bad as I remembered it being.  I probably just heard the initial report and didn't follow up. 🤐

• Like 1

The list of countries I will never visit just gets longer and longer.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.