Goodbye Jesus

How the Earth Moves

Joshpantera

Nice illustrations: 

Oh, my bad. I thought the topic was referring to sex. Since I've never actually felt the Earth move during sex, I thought this video might give me some pointers......Never mind.  :blush:

• Haha 3

Pretty video.

It's wrong.

I know.  I'm not a YouTube video.  And I'm saying something negative against a YouTube video so I know where that leads.  The helical model shown in the video, and others like it (which are equally if not prettier to watch...I particularly like the one that zooms in and has little finer grain calendar objects showing decades, years and so on), is not correct.

Phil Plait, the Bad Astronomer, explains it here.  Fair warning: It's not a video.  It's words and stuff.

mwc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Phil's site explains it well, and his words n stuff are not difficult. I have a wife who is seriously into the woo right now, and I throw in corrections now and then. Her shows on coverups of UFOs and the guys claiming to have been part of secret projects make claim after claim about the science behind the flying saucers, but I keep thinking "Then build one". If the pyramids are weapons, build one and show me how it works. If torsion is the key to making time travel happen, show me. They claim that torsion is left out of physics classes today because the Illuminati don't want scientists stumbling onto their secret Anunaki space/time stuff. Gah!

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, mwc said:

Pretty video.

It's wrong.

I know.  I'm not a YouTube video.  And I'm saying something negative against a YouTube video so I know where that leads.  The helical model shown in the video, and others like it (which are equally if not prettier to watch...I particularly like the one that zooms in and has little finer grain calendar objects showing decades, years and so on), is not correct.

Phil Plait, the Bad Astronomer, explains it here.  Fair warning: It's not a video.  It's words and stuff.

mwc

So Phil points out that the sun is hurling around the galactic center, with the planets hurling around as it hurls around the galactic center, but the sun does not lead out in front of the planets as the motion takes place. Instead, the planets often lead out in front of the sun as they hurl through space in motion around the galactic center. So the graphics need to be edited to show the planets leading in front of the sun at times to make a more accurate illustration. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

So Phil points out that the sun is hurling around the galactic center, with the planets hurling around as it hurls around the galactic center, but the sun does not lead out in front of the planets as the motion takes place. Instead, the planets often lead out in front of the sun as they hurl through space in motion around the galactic center. So the graphics need to be edited to show the planets leading in front of the sun at times to make a more accurate illustration. 

Yeah, among other things he mentions.  The problem is that makes a less interesting, and more difficult to present, video presentation.

As I said, I find these interesting.  I like this one (I mentioned it above) because it's like an orrery (which I also find cool) although that doesn't make it anymore accurate just fun to watch:

mwc

• Thanks 1

This is all very unknown to me prior to this thread.  Enjoying learning these multi-faceted ideas and models.

kL