Goodbye Jesus

New Here

LoneBlueSky

Hey everyone! I am new!

My name is Jenn, and I'm a wife, and a mother of 3 adult sons, one of which has Autism (my youngest). I grew up Mormon, but converted to Christianity when I was 25 years old. My journey out of Christianity started when I stopped believing in Mormonism, but at the time I decided that Christianity was the right path to follow. My doubts about historical Christianity started after I read the book, "Evidence that Demands a Verdict" by Josh McDowell. The book left me with more questions than answers. The answers he gave to many of the questions he had, didn't make sense to me. They had flaws. But again I put those doubts behind me.

Then the last year or two, those doubts crept back into my mind. It started with realizing just how judgmental many (not all) Christians were towards others of different beliefs, or sexual orientation, etc. My oldest son came out as Bisexual on his dad's birthday last year, and we accepted that part of him, unlike many Christians would do. I have seen many Christians online posting hateful, ignorant things towards other people, and it bothered me. Wasn't Christianity supposed to be about loving others despite who they were? I even had a Christian friend who told me that God didn't love anyone who wasn't a Christian. 

A few months ago, I started researching Anthropology and Evolution. Much of which Christians say was all a lie or inaccurate. But looking at the science of it, Evolution made sense to me. I learned that there is no way we could have all come from just two people. I also studied what early humans believed, and much of that was they understood that they were created from the Earth, so they showed reverence and respect for the Earth. I then studied how religion has evolved over thousands of years, and learned quite a bit, and how creation stories are similar. I also learned how Christians get it wrong on what others belief, whether religiously, or spiritually.

I have stopped believing in Christianity as a whole, and my beliefs now are changing. I consider myself a Pagan and Wiccan now, but my beliefs are evolving, and I don't know all that I believe yet. I do believe in being kind to others, and being respectful even if others don't treat me the same. I am now a much happier person, and I have found that meditating and grounding myself is healing me of my anxiety and depression. Christianity never helped me with those at all, no matter how hard I tried. 

I don't feel as devastated in losing my Christian beliefs like I did when I lost my faith in Mormonism, but I haven't yet been completely open with my husband (who considers himself a Christian) about all of my new beliefs. He does know of my doubts, and he has been supportive. I doubt he would leave me if he knew, but I just feel the right time to tell him is not right yet. He is starting to have his own doubts, and he does share a few of my beliefs, but I feel like I need to wait for him, if that makes sense. 

I have told a few of my friends about my beliefs, but only the ones who share similar beliefs as I do. I have been trying to find support and a mentor where I live, but the closest groups I can find are 40 mins away from me. And it is hard for me to travel that far. I came across this website, and decided to join this group for support. I hope that I can meet others who are on a similar journey as myself. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jenn!

Welcome 🙂

• Thanks 1

Welcome to Ex-C, @LoneBlueSky

You write very well. Clear, concise and easy to follow. 

You've come to a good place for support and to yack with folks who have been where you are.

I, myself, was raised LDS, then converted to Jesus Freakdom - thanx to the lovely young lady, to whom I am related to by marriage. 

After the crazy fundy stuffs lead me to read McDowell and son I too was left with more questions than answers. So I spent quality time with Carrier, Dawkins, Rigsby, Ehrman, Hitchens, Fitzgerald. These made me realize  admit to myself that my foray into the religious realm was more touchy-feely than logical or rational. 

Mrs MOHO remains steadfast in her beliefs in spite of my coming out and we have a good relationship - after the original, and much anticipated, out-freaking! I envy your current position in that Mr. LoneBlueSky is open minded and able to empathize with you.

Hope you stick around with us and write some more...

- MOHO (Mind Of His Own)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Greetings, and welcome, LoneBlueSky. Congratulations for breaking free from religion. I wash you the best as you move forward in life. Enjoy the journey ahead of you.

By the way, I'm honored to have had the opportunity to give you your first upvote here. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome LoneBlueSky! 

Hope you enjoy your time here discussing issues with fellow ex-C's. 

• Super Moderator
8 hours ago, LoneBlueSky said:

I don't know all that I believe yet.

I guess we should all believe that which has evidence. That's a much more useful system than just picking things that feel good.

But anyway, welcome to the site!

Howdy!  Pull up a chair and join the party!  :woohoo: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! 😊  It means a lot to me!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MOHO said:
8 hours ago, MOHO said:

Welcome to Ex-C, @LoneBlueSky

You write very well. Clear, concise and easy to follow. 

You've come to a good place for support and to yack with folks who have been where you are.

I, myself, was raised LDS, then converted to Jesus Freakdom - thanx to the lovely young lady, to whom I am related to by marriage. 

After the crazy fundy stuffs lead me to read McDowell and son I too was left with more questions than answers. So I spent quality time with Carrier, Dawkins, Rigsby, Ehrman, Hitchens, Fitzgerald. These made me realize  admit to myself that my foray into the religious realm was more touchy-feely than logical or rational. 

Mrs MOHO remains steadfast in her beliefs in spite of my coming out and we have a good relationship - after the original, and much anticipated, out-freaking! I envy your current position in that Mr. LoneBlueSky is open minded and able to empathize with you.

Hope you stick around with us and write some more...

- MOHO (Mind Of His Own)

@MOHO  Thanks for sharing! My hubs and I both left the Mormon Church together back in 1996, and both converted to Christianity the same day in 1997. We have been through a lot together, including our son's diagnoses of Autism, and our oldest son's current struggle with alcoholism.

We have also had our hard times in our relationship, and there have been times I thought about leaving him, but then I remember that he has stuck by me through the hard times including my anxiety disorder and depression, and that is unconditional love.

I am hoping eventually he comes to the same realization as me, and that our relationship can continue to grow and heal. But if he doesn't I hope at least our relationship will be strong. I am glad you still have a good relationship with Mrs. MOHO. 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @LoneBlueSky 

Welcome to Ex-C.

Sounds like you've had quite the journey... and it's still continuing. (As life's journey should). I hope you find the support you need here.

If you like real time chat with others we have a sister support chat room called Discord. You can find details of how to join our channel here: You are most welcome.

Regarding what to believe: Believing what there is evidence for is a good start as Florduh said. I also agree with being kind to others, and generally just not being a dick is a good general rule I find.

All the best

LF

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LoneBlueSky said:

Welcome Jenn. One of our members wrote this book about what it was like to be a Mormon. It's really well written. I enjoyed the read. It's called "A Danger to God Himself"

https://amzn.to/2LoGdpS

Welcome! You've come to a good place, and you're in good company. Do join us on Discord chat as well if you feel the need. :)

Hello, and welcome @LoneBlueSky!

I'm very glad you found your way out,  and that you found us here.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Hi @LoneBlueSky 

Welcome to Ex-C.

Sounds like you've had quite the journey... and it's still continuing. (As life's journey should). I hope you find the support you need here.

If you like real time chat with others we have a sister support chat room called Discord. You can find details of how to join our channel here: You are most welcome.

Regarding what to believe: Believing what there is evidence for is a good start as Florduh said. I also agree with being kind to others, and generally just not being a dick is a good general rule I find.

All the best

LF

@LogicalFallacy Thank you! I will check it out.