Sign in to follow this  

3000 Catholics Quit

3000 former Catholics became apostates over the Church's involvement in shutting down the abortion vote in Argentina.  It's just a drop in the bucket, but definitely a noticeable one.  Hopefully more will follow.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/argentine-group-says-3000-catholics-quit-church-over-abortion/ar-BBMoLEy?li=BBnb7Kz

Similar things are happening in Ireland. And some Irish are getting the free tickets to the Pope's visit and then planning to not attend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, older said:

Similar things are happening in Ireland. And some Irish are getting the free tickets to the Pope's visit and then planning to not attend.

Yeah, the Irish have done a number on the Churches power.  Legalized gay marriage.  Legalized abortion.  Elected an atheist to Lord Mayor in Belfast.  The Church has pretty much already admitted defeat for the time being, as well they should.  They abused their power too much for too long and now they're reaping what they've sown.  Good for Ireland.

• Like 1

I am amazed that so many people are still Catholic. The Catholic Church is just plain evil and that has pretty much always been true. Never doubt the power of indoctrination. 

Just read that only about 1/3 of Irish are still practicing Catholics.

And the Pope's response to all this is severely lacking. Do we think much will change?

5 hours ago, older said:

Just read that only about 1/3 of Irish are still practicing Catholics.

And the Pope's response to all this is severely lacking. Do we think much will change?

Yeah, the Pope's response was fairly predictable: this is really bad and we're going to change blah blah blah.  The Prime Minister (who's openly gay, which must have irked the Pope on some level) said that words are great, but only if followed by action.  It's probably placation though.  The Pope met with eight families who had suffered abuse.  That's nice and all, but largely symbolic, just like when he allowed four Syrian families to immigrate to Vatican City in a gesture to promote progressive immigration policies.  I think it's mostly hoopla.  They'll purge some Priests and Bishops, but when this dies down eventually it'll be business as normal.

Also, I had no idea there were so few Catholics in Ireland these days.  I read that the holdouts were banking on the things the Church did for them in the past.  I almost hate to say it, but what have they done lately?  You know, except all the evil.

Here's a well-written piece by a Catholic who quit the church. She hasn't given up her faith, but she's done with Catholicism.

https://www.salon.com/2018/08/25/i-quit-the-catholic-church-im-not-giving-up-my-faith-but-im-losing-my-religion/

I sincerely hope that large numbers of those recent ex-Catholics don't just become non-denominational xtians. 

Then again - perhaps large numbers of THOSE might realize the similarities and express them to their new fundy friends. Would LOVE to be a fly on THAT wall!  :yelrotflmao:

On 8/25/2018 at 12:09 PM, Geezer said:

I am amazed that so many people are still Catholic. The Catholic Church is just plain evil and that has pretty much always been true. Never doubt the power of indoctrination. 

Well, I'm betting that a lot of them aren't really devout about it at all. 

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.