Goodbye Jesus

On Healings

Hierophant

I demonstrated the limbs lengthening trick to some friends in a restaurant after we had watched a Maranatha preacher do it. One was still convinced her back was better...

I deconverted after 30 years of ardent faith, the last 9 of which were spent promoting a guy from the Pentecostal branch of the church who claims some outstanding miracles in his mission in the remote areas of Mexico. Some of them were 21 people raised from the dead, every body part healed or regrown, driving his truck under water across a river (others in his group have tried it and lost their trucks), accidentally driving a motorcycle over a cliff and being transported down to the street by his home, praying over dry crops and having them bear peppers, and a thousand other stories. He's a great storyteller, and I believed him because he seemed genuine. He didn't do a lot of self-promotion, dresses in blue jeans and boots, and seems to work very hard. I collected audio and video of him preaching in various churches around the world and made those available for listening on my website. People began sending me tapes from other states and countries where he was preaching.

One day I got a set of videos from Germany and watched them. Standard Pentecostal services with him telling long stories of healings, followed by the invitation to be prayed for, and people line up and get prayer and fall down or take off running, etc. The only thing that was different was that his preaching was being translated into German, but the translator had trouble with the preacher's Louisiana accent and was unable a few times to translate, which clearly frustrated the preacher.

I then watched a video from Kansas (I think) where he described what had happened in Germany. He went into a long involved story about a coven of witches that showed up to challenge the power of God. He described the lead woman, the decorations she had woven into her hair, her smug attitude, and that because of them his translator had trouble keeping up and was eventually unable to speak. He said that he finally had enough and jumped down off the stage and confronted them. There was an intense power battle where they all shook violently until the woman was thrown several feet into the thick glass doors of the sanctuary and was knocked out with all her followers. Afterwards during the prayer time, she and her followers crawled up and begged to be born again! The Kansas church ate this up like it was their team winning at a football game. I sat there stunned and turned off the tape, realizing that he'd made up the whole story from his imagination after his translator couldn't understand him.

I quickly realized that all the other amazing stories I'd heard were also from his imagination. I'd always figured that his fellow missionaries would have called him out for lying if they hadn't actually happened, but then realized to my chagrin that in any cult with a charismatic leader like him, everyone wants to be close to the leader. So they not only agreed with him, but had stories of their own. A couple of times I had talked briefly with some ex-missionaries who had left his group after describing abusive treatment from him, but discounted them as "in sin" in some way. Now I realized that I'd been promoting a cult for 9 years. I had watched and studied cults for years, learning about how they work, and wondering why anyone would believe such crap. The irony didn't escape me. It took me a while, but I eventually asked myself "I wonder what else I've believed that is a lie?"  That is what led to me asking questions and finding this website, and completing my deconversion from the cult of Christianity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

I posted this in another thread, but it bears sharing here:

I just returned from an 8-day stay in the hospital after having a toe amputated.

I'm more than ready for some Christard "healer" to pray to their god and ask him to restore my lost toe.

I'll wait.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, L.B. said:

I just returned from an 8-day stay in the hospital after having a toe amputated.

I'm more than ready for some Christard "healer" to pray to their god and ask him to restore my lost toe.

I'll wait.

"YOU ARE NOT TO TEMPT GOD!"  :cussing:

• Haha 2

On 8/27/2018 at 2:08 AM, TinMan said:

he really seems to believe what he is saying is factual.

He may honestly believe it.  I wouldn't judge him too harshly. There are a few good, honest people that are fairly "normal", but have quirks.  It's like they are walking along the edge of reality, and occasionally step off the edge.  Or have some blind spots.  Especially with certain subjects.  They may be seen as gullible.  Excelent subjects for charlatan preachers.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 8:27 AM, L.B. said:

I'll wait.

It's not lost.  It's waiting for you in heaven...if it was a believer that is.

mwc

• Haha 1

Isn't it strange that the invisible man can heal the stuff we can't see, but he appears to have difficulty with amputated limbs, disfiguring scars, etc. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Derek said:

Isn't it strange that the invisible man can heal the stuff we can't see, but he appears to have difficulty with amputated limbs, disfiguring scars, etc. 

He only "heals" what the body can fix naturally, or what can fixed with modern medicine. How convenient....

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Super Moderator

It is a wicked generation that asks for signs and wonders... fucking apostates.