Goodbye Jesus

Pleasing aroma to God?

SerenelyBlue

I have been reading the books of Moses and it astonishes me me how God requires the constant sacrifice of innocent animals.  Loads and loads of them.  I would have thought that a god with insight would have had compassion for other sentient beings.  I don't get it.  The only explanation is the books of Moses were written by more primitive humans and that they thought God would be pleased with such outrages behaviour.  Me personally, I think if there is a god, He would have compassion for animals.  After all, we are animals too.  We all came from a common ancestor.

The church I grew up in told us we were the pleasant aroma, the assumption being that our lives were on fire from all that had been burnt away: like the world and all our pleasures and stuff. It really just goes to show if life was bad you were receiving all this propaganda about how much god loved it. If things were really bad, the things you were told was that god really loved you. 

I was thinking about animal sentience looking at a rabbit wondering if he was jealous of me. I had just listened to a chapter of dawkin's magic of reality where he asks you to go on a thought experiment where you travel back in time through our relatives. At first you place a picture of your relatives on top of one another going back in time. So your dad, grandpa, great grandpa, then you pick up a relative every 400 years or so at first. Dawkins walks you through who you would meet and the differences and marks some important points. Then you start leaping by millions of years where you share ancestors with a broader range of species. I think there was a stephen king novel about the animals turning on us... 

• Like 1

god probably loves lamb chop grilled to perfection

he prefers human toasted

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, SerenelyBlue said:

I have been reading the books of Moses and it astonishes me me how God requires the constant sacrifice of innocent animals.

Honestly, I think it's kind of bullshit.  They might have believed that burning animal fat took God to His happy place, but the rest of the meat went to the Levites.  It's a great scam: you bring us meat, we do our hoodoo, you get forgiven, and we get free BBQ.

3 hours ago, Samuel said:

The church I grew up in told us we were the pleasant aroma, the assumption being that our lives were on fire from all that had been burnt away: like the world and all our pleasures and stuff. It really just goes to show if life was bad you were receiving all this propaganda about how much god loved it. If things were really bad, the things you were told was that god really loved you.

I've never heard that one before.  Beautification always bothered me, probably because you can't tell the difference between those who were suffering for God and those suffering under a curse, and pain hurts anyway.  I can forgive the occasional "Fallen World" argument, because it's right there in Genesis, but some people's pains are excessive in the extreme and Jesus said his yoke was light.  From my experience as a Christian, the lie detector determined that that was a lie.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Super Moderator

Why would god have compassion for animals when he has none for most humans? 

(Not that biblegod exists!)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SerenelyBlue said:

I have been reading the books of Moses and it astonishes me me how God requires the constant sacrifice of innocent animals.

Obviously a throwback to very primitive humans who were so egocentric in their limited knowledge and brain capacity, and driven by the always present fear and struggle just to stay alive, that they actually believed there was a being, out there somewhere, who was similar to humans beings in thoughts and emotions. 

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

SB, how would you address this conundrum as an agnostic?

Killing animals as a sacrifice for some upper being is sth. a lot of religions have in common. Xians just tend to think their ancestors (Moses' people I guess) got it right while all the others are considered heathens.

Maybe read sth. slightly less annoying?

I'm all excited about a new volume of my favorite comic series that will be published this fall!

12 hours ago, florduh said:

SB, how would you address this conundrum as an agnostic?

I abstain from making judgements.  I am not sure if there is a god behind it.

On 8/31/2018 at 9:06 AM, Burnedout said:

Pleasing aroma to God?  Here is my response to God.  

Pull my thumb...  :fart:

Hey, as long as you set it on fire God's good with it. ;)

• Haha 1

• Super Moderator

The fact that god claims to like the smell of barbecue merely demonstrates that he is as human as the rest of us.

• Like 2