Goodbye Jesus

The Astonishing Simplicity of Everything

disillusioned

Posted for general interest. Neil Turok is a physicist who feels very similarly to me on issues of inflationary theory, string theory, and general issues pertaining to the so-called multiverse. But setting that aside,  this is still a wonderful lecture, giving a cursorial summary of most of the more interesting bits of an undergraduate physics degree. Enjoy!

• Like 1

I looked at the equations behind him and ran away. Jk ;) I have a high respect for physicists, the stuff they discover is fascinating.

• 2 weeks later...

Love that title "astonishing simplicity of everything, well presented and interesting. The problem is that each version of simplicity presented as such, is different from other versions of simplicity. For instance I believe my version of simplicity is far simpler than his version 😏

Happily I had a day off today, so watched it all. Fascinating. I just spent the last 3 days looking at how humans figured out electricity, starting with noticing how rubbing amber with a bit of wool creating this odd attraction to bits of stuff (static electricity), and until 220 years ago that is still all we knew about, though we found other ways to generate it.

I went through this list of names and what they they discovered and how they went about their experiments. Once the battery was invented, then DC motors were accidentally discovered, and things began leap-frogging. 220 years ago is just two long human lives ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_electrical_and_electronic_engineering#History_of_discoveries_timeline

1 hour ago, Fuego said:

Happily I had a day off today, so watched it all. Fascinating. I just spent the last 3 days looking at how humans figured out electricity, starting with noticing how rubbing amber with a bit of wool creating this odd attraction to bits of stuff (static electricity), and until 220 years ago that is still all we knew about, though we found other ways to generate it.

I went through this list of names and what they they discovered and how they went about their experiments. Once the battery was invented, then DC motors were accidentally discovered, and things began leap-frogging. 220 years ago is just two long human lives ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_electrical_and_electronic_engineering#History_of_discoveries_timeline

When you start thinking about it, it's really incredible, how long humans existed, and what we have accomplished in those years. And when I get asked what time period I'd like to live in, all I can say is, the present, as I'd have died many times over already by now if I was born a century ago. Modern medicine is pretty cool.

• Like 1