L.B.

My Tongue Is Sore From All The Biting.

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Cat987 said:

 

The sad thing is... we were ALL indigenous peoples with indigenous native cultures that were specifically relevant to us. And Christianity blew in and just tore it down. I mean it's hundreds and thousands of years of naturally evolving traditions and belief systems destroyed. And although they are "nicer" about it (i.e. not murdering and maiming), they're still destroying native cultures all over the world. I wonder if the people converting from their native faiths to Christianity now, have any idea what they are giving up and losing?

 

 

Missions minded groups have switched from forced conversions to "carrot" conversions.  Oh, you don't have any clean water to drink?  You don't have a home anymore?  Your children are starving?  Well, come let us teach you about our god and jesus and sin and such and we will give you those things.  And while we are at it, we'll take your precious children who you struggle to provide for, put school uniforms on them, and indoctrinate them so they become good little adult Christians (I'm talking to you, Compassion Int.!).    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


PLEASE EXCUSE THE ANNOYING COMMERCIAL BREAKS IN THE CONVERSATION:

As with everything these days, the cost of keeping the Ex-C forum up and running has been rising. Inflation? In part, but the primary reason is this: As participation in the forums grows, costs increase. The Ex-C forums will remain free of charge to everyone, but if you believe this little corner of the Internet provides value to you or others, and you feel inclined to help keep us online, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a regular contributor. Contribution options appear under the "Upgrade" link above, and can be accessed by clicking here.

Oh, and as an incentive (no, you won't be given any bogus promises of eternal bliss), if you do become a regular contributor by signing up for any monthly or yearly patron package, this annoying ADVO will disappear.

And now, back to the regularly scheduled conversation...



11 minutes ago, Daffodil said:

 

Missions minded groups have switched from forced conversions to "carrot" conversions.  Oh, you don't have any clean water to drink?  You don't have a home anymore?  Your children are starving?  Well, come let us teach you about our god and jesus and sin and such and we will give you those things.  And while we are at it, we'll take your precious children who you struggle to provide for, put school uniforms on them, and indoctrinate them so they become good little adult Christians (I'm talking to you, Compassion Int.!).    

 

Yes, that disgusts me. You have to really dig into charities before you donate to them if you don't want this crap being done. In a way this is its own brand of unwarranted violence. If you have plans to help someone and you have the means to help someone and other people have donated money so that you can help someone but you are holding their help hostage unless they allow you to do this conversion song and dance, that's still evil. It might not be as visually gross and dramatic like chopping off somebody's head or burning them alive, but these people are smart enough now to know that shit won't fly with the public.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

Yes, that is a very good point. And one of the reasons I'm become a bit more curious about my heritage and background, but alas I can't figure out a thing really about possible "pagan" roots or beliefs. And family is the last place I could ask questions, because they largely ignore the "unbelievers", both living and dead.

 

Have you thought about doing the DNA testing?  I am really curious about that, but haven't done it because it makes me a little nervous about a corporation having that data on me.  Maybe I'm being a little paranoid, but I really would be curious to know.  We have traced one side of the family back to the 1700s and they are French and English.  The other side is at least partly English, but my maternal great-grandfather was adopted, so we don't even have a surname we can trace for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Daffodil said:

 

Have you thought about doing the DNA testing?  I am really curious about that, but haven't done it because it makes me a little nervous about a corporation having that data on me.  Maybe I'm being a little paranoid, but I really would be curious to know.  We have traced one side of the family back to the 1700s and they are French and English.  The other side is at least partly English, but my maternal great-grandfather was adopted, so we don't even have a surname we can trace for him.

 

Ha! I feel the same way. Fortunately another member of my family (close enough to give me a bird's eye view) did the test, so I do have some information. Sometimes also family names help. I've learned a lot from that as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Daffodil said:

 

Have you thought about doing the DNA testing?  I am really curious about that, but haven't done it because it makes me a little nervous about a corporation having that data on me.  Maybe I'm being a little paranoid, but I really would be curious to know.  We have traced one side of the family back to the 1700s and they are French and English.  The other side is at least partly English, but my maternal great-grandfather was adopted, so we don't even have a surname we can trace for him.

There's a whole genealogical volume written about my mother's side of the family that I need to get my hands on, but I have some suspicions about my dad's side of the family so a DNA test actually wouldn't be a bad idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2018 at 12:50 PM, TruthSeeker0 said:

I used to be one of those Christians who didn't bother to think about indigenous peoples and forced conversion at all. Somehow, when you're an xtian, and particularly a fundie, everything becomes justified as "saving souls" or "it was god's will". But what actually helped clue me in and start thinking about this was the overt racism in the church towards native people. And getting an education. That was when I became aware of what you call ignorant arrogance in the church. I think this is probably a common path in deconversion, first people critique things like hypocrisy and arrogance and behaviour that seems wrong, and then they start digging more deeply into the beliefs and doctrine as a result of that.

In the later 80s I attended a Southern Baptist church in Savannah, GA, as a guest. Most of the congregation was white. I was with my husband and my beautiful East Indian friend. (I am brown-skinned too) After the service, Brother Bubba Baptist, donning a lavender blazer, came over to us to "welcome" us. After asking us where we were from, he said that he had always been partial to dark skinned people (in foreign far-flung lands where he had been a missionary). Talk about making me feel like a piece of chicken! "What part of the chicken would you like, Brother?" "Oh, I'll have the drumstick - I've always been partial to dark meat!" Christians say the darndest things!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JenniferG said:

In the later 80s I attended a Southern Baptist church in Savannah, GA, as a guest. Most of the congregation was white. I was with my husband and my beautiful East Indian friend. (I am brown-skinned too) After the service, Brother Bubba Baptist, donning a lavender blazer, came over to us to "welcome" us. After asking us where we were from, he said that he had always been partial to dark skinned people (in foreign far-flung lands where he had been a missionary). Talk about making me feel like a piece of chicken! "What part of the chicken would you like, Brother?" "Oh, I'll have the drumstick - I've always been partial to dark meat!" Christians say the darndest things!

That is so patronizing and condescending. I noticed that attitude towards missionary work in my ex church. What pisses me off most about the attitude of a great many white people in the developed world is that they think their life style is superior. So called third world countries may be economically disadvantaged but who are we to conclude they are socially and culturally disadvantaged as well.

Sometimes I think the point would go across if people of color started giving these kinds of outlandish sarcastic statements to whites. Something like "I have always been partial to white people, they have done so much to ensure that African nations be able to benefit from their natural resources." The sad thing about the statement is that many people would take it as a compliment. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now