Wertbag

Is Christian debate dead?

Recommended Posts

I've seen this sentiment raised by several famous atheists, most recently in Sam Harris's podcast, that there is nothing left to talk about regarding Christianity. Every argument has been refuted a thousand times, the videos in their hundreds cover every question you can ask and books looking at the subject from every angle already exist. 

Do you agree there is nothing left to say that hasn't been said before? There will always be news articles about which filthy rich preacher has got caught breaking the law this week but are we done with debates? 

Maybe the value is just presenting the rebuttals in new ways to catch the next generations eye and get them thinking? Perhaps making sure the atheist message is kept high in the new releases on YouTube is all the value we need? 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


PLEASE EXCUSE THE ANNOYING COMMERCIAL BREAKS IN THE CONVERSATION:

As with everything these days, the cost of keeping the Ex-C forum up and running has been rising. Inflation? In part, but the primary reason is this: As participation in the forums grows, costs increase. The Ex-C forums will remain free of charge to everyone, but if you believe this little corner of the Internet provides value to you or others, and you feel inclined to help keep us online, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a regular contributor. Contribution options appear under the "Upgrade" link above, and can be accessed by clicking here.

Oh, and as an incentive (no, you won't be given any bogus promises of eternal bliss), if you do become a regular contributor by signing up for any monthly or yearly patron package, this annoying ADVO will disappear.

And now, back to the regularly scheduled conversation...



Christianity certainly has been exposed for the fraud that it is up to the point where we would have to expire and come back to life in order to have any further, or more useful, evidence. 

 

The remaining challenge is to convince the masses. 

 

There are those who will see the light, those who might come around eventually but, like so many cults in recent times, there are those who hang on until the cult is insolvent or the leader goes to prison. Jesus will not be going to prison anytime soon. 

 

Let's focus on the first two groups.

I fear that my life partner is in group three. :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as people are not listening there will be something to say.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the biggest ways they keep converts coming in is through schools. Young Life was big in my high school, and they definitely got converts. The county jail has a Protestant Christian pastor as the only chaplain. They prey on those who are in need, those who are lonely, and give kids a place to hang out. Then they program them with mental pablum and teach them to ignore things that show it is fake. Church then takes over for that programming for as long as it can. There are very few Church of Satan outreaches to high schools teaching basic logic and why religions are not true.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ellinas said:

As long as people are not listening there will be something to say.

QFT

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wertbag said:

Maybe the value is just presenting the rebuttals in new ways to catch the next generations eye and get them thinking? Perhaps making sure the atheist message is kept high in the new releases on YouTube is all the value we need? 

I think you pretty much answered your own question there. Their main tactic is to repeatedly lie and gaslight people until they thing there simply is no other way of believing/seeing, but pesky non-Xians keep reminding people - especially the younger ones - that that isn't the case ;) No matter how much they lie about us they can't pretend they've erased us from existence!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm closing in on 30 years of ex christian, atheistic mindset. During the last three decades I feel like the debates have become redundant in most cases. I've seen them go in circles and there's very little that ever pop's up as new. That bit recently about slavery in Timothy is the first new thing I've heard in a long time. But even that wasn't new, it was used in the 19th century but must have fallen flat because it doesn't say what the abolitionist's claimed it said. It somehow fell out of active use. 

 

The arguments for the existence of god are long dead. And yet there's still formal debates about it where the atheists have to point out that the arguments are dead. It's not something one can prove, certainly not through philosophy, science or debate. And pointing to uncertainties doesn't do anything to bring certainty to christian and / or religious claims. So it's dead as a door nail. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the bible has been dissected many times over. 

 

you can only beat the dead horse that many times until something new findings comes along. 

 

another fossil another scientific discovery and another crazy fuck comes along with another crazy idea (probably evolved from another old idea)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Wertbag said:

I've seen this sentiment raised by several famous atheists, most recently in Sam Harris's podcast, that there is nothing left to talk about regarding Christianity. Every argument has been refuted a thousand times, the videos in their hundreds cover every question you can ask and books looking at the subject from every angle already exist. 

Do you agree there is nothing left to say that hasn't been said before? There will always be news articles about which filthy rich preacher has got caught breaking the law this week but are we done with debates? 

Maybe the value is just presenting the rebuttals in new ways to catch the next generations eye and get them thinking? Perhaps making sure the atheist message is kept high in the new releases on YouTube is all the value we need? 

I absolutely agree. 

 

"Christianity, stop hitting yourself!"

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pratt said:

the bible has been dissected many times over. 

 

you can only beat the dead horse that many times until something new findings comes along. 

 

another fossil another scientific discovery and another crazy fuck comes along with another crazy idea (probably evolved from another old idea)

Aye! That's true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

I'm closing in on 30 years of ex christian, atheistic mindset. During the last three decades I feel like the debates have become redundant in most cases. I've seen them go in circles and there's very little that ever pop's up as new. That bit recently about slavery in Timothy is the first new thing I've heard in a long time. But even that wasn't new, it was used in the 19th century but must have fallen flat because it doesn't say what the abolitionist's claimed it said. It somehow fell out of active use. 

 

The arguments for the existence of god are long dead. And yet there's still formal debates about it where the atheists have to point out that the arguments are dead. It's not something one can prove, certainly not through philosophy, science or debate. And pointing to uncertainties doesn't do anything to bring certainty to christian and / or religious claims. So it's dead as a door nail. 

Great, all we have left now is to drop the bomb.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DestinyTurtle said:

I think you pretty much answered your own question there. Their main tactic is to repeatedly lie and gaslight people until they thing there simply is no other way of believing/seeing, but pesky non-Xians keep reminding people - especially the younger ones - that that isn't the case ;) No matter how much they lie about us they can't pretend they've erased us from existence!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I've run out of thing's too say to Christian's, tiss why all my thread's sux now. Time to get creative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing I have to say to Christians is when they give other Christian friends of mine a hard time.  I bust their chops.  They hate me for it, but then lie and say it was in LUV....just like a serial abuser to a shell shocked spouse. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now