Goodbye Jesus

Bible Verses

HoneyBib

Hi, can anyone give me a full list of Bible verses that will make my mother question her faith and embark on a journey onto deconversion?

Thanks.

16 hours ago, HoneyBib said:

Hi, can anyone give me a full list of Bible verses that will make my mother question her faith and embark on a journey onto deconversion?

Thanks.

"In the beginning God created the Heavens and Earth." Really? How do we know this?

Honestly unless a person is willing to question the bible in the first place just giving bible verses will lead to her getting defensive and digging in. That's the most likely reaction.

It's probably better to start from subtly inquiring as to why they believe god. This often comes down to faith or the bible says so in which case you can lead into why is faith reliable, or why do you think the bible is true.

On the other hand my own deconversion really got underway because of versus I read that made me go WTF!?? However an internal questioning was already taking place so I didn't immediately justify the verses.

Best of luck.

19 hours ago, HoneyBib said:

Thanks.

Sorry Bib, it just wont happen unless she's willing to question. It largely doesn't matter how many contradictory passages you present. If someone wants to believe, they will. And personally, that's their choice so I'd let them have it.

• Super Moderator
19 hours ago, HoneyBib said:

Thanks.

Most of the ones between genesis and revelations should work.

These might be worth a shot;

In Acts 1, the remaining apostles prayed and voted on a replacement for Judas. The replacement was Matthias. That adds up to 12. In Revelation 21, John, quoting Jesus, states that there will be 12 foundations of the new Jerusalem, one for each of the 12 apostles. Show where anyone, other than Paul, stated that he was an apostle.

Romans 11:26 Paul writes "as it is written" describing how the Messiah will come FROM Zion to remove sin. Nowhere is that to be found. Instead, Isaiah 59:20 states that a redeemer will come TO Zion and to those who turn from transgression. Explain why the 13th of the 12 'real' apostles reversed the original verse and its meaning, which happens to be the basis of the entire New Testament.

Ask her if the Word of God is true and perfect. She will say 'Yes', of course. Psalms 19:8 and many other verses state that this is true. The 13th of the 12 'real' apostles says in Hebrews 8:7 that if the Word had been perfect or faultless, there would be no need for the second one, or the New Testament.

Try these out for starters, and good luck. There are several others, but these should either start the thinking process or cement the conviction that Christianity is the one true way.

Rejection or twisting of evidence is the primary focus of 'Cognitive Dissonance', a very real phenomenon caused by indoctrination, brainwashing, the overall cult culture of most religions. You may not be able to break through this. If you do, then look up RTS, Religious Trauma Syndrome. That will give you some aid in dealing with someone who has been pushed into decontruction or deconversion. Modern Psychiatry has finally begun to recognize the effects of religious indoctrination. The kicker though, is finding a therapist who has heard of this and subscribes to it.

Again, good luck, and be gentle.