Sign in to follow this  
Geezer

Fear: Trump in the White House by Bob Woodward

I usually stay away from, or at least try to avoid, political discussions on this board because it often ends up in fights and name calling. It comes to close to trying to talk sensibly to a fundy about religion. It just isn't possible. Politics and religion are emotional subjects and emotion is pretty much guaranteed to fuel the discussion. And that means it will quickly become out of control. 

I'm jumping in on this issue strictly out of concern. I am not and never have been a Trumpeter. I am on record as having voted against Clinton, and therefore for Trump because that was the only other choice. My one vote made no difference one way or the other in the final talley. IMO running celebrities for political office is a disturbing trend in this country.  I wish both parties would stop that. Hillary Clinton's track record, especially as Sec. of State, convinced me she is incompetent and probably should be in prison for how she handled, or failed to handle, confidential, even secret, information. Anyone else would be in prison now for having a personal unsecured computer that was being used for official State Dept. Business. 

A sailor went to prison just for taking a picture of the interior of the Nuclear Submarine he was stationed on. I assure everyone the Russians, Chinese, and N Korean's know what the interior of our Nuclear Subs look like. The workings of the high tech stuff on the sub is what our enemies want to know about,  a picture of them is worthless, but the sailor went to prison for taking a picture. Hillary exposed secret state business and got a free pass. Don't tell me the fix wasn't on. Comey needs to go to prison because he protected her and hid evidence. 

Anyway, my point being I simply could not vote for Hillary. And when I cast my early vote she was so far ahead in the polls it looked like she was going to win in a landslide. So, I held my nose and voted for Trump. 

A review of the book: With authoritative reporting honed through eight presidencies from Nixon to Obama, author Bob Woodward reveals in unprecedented detail the harrowing life inside President Donald Trump’s White House and precisely how he makes decisions on major foreign and domestic policies. Woodward draws from hundreds of hours of interviews with firsthand sources, meeting notes, personal diaries, files and documents. The focus is on the explosive debates and the decision-making in the Oval Office, the Situation Room, Air Force One and the White House residence. Fear is the most intimate portrait of a sitting president ever published during the president’s first years in office.

I recently saw the 60 Minutes interview with Woodward. I have to say what I heard was terrifying. It was terrifying because I believe Woodward is giving an accurate portrayal of the inter-workings of the White House. To say Trump is eccentric would be a gross understatement. If Woodward's assessment of the White House and Trump is basically accurate then there is legitimate reason to be concerned about Trumps mental stability and his ability to continue to serve as President. 

If Woodwards reporting is accurate, or even close to accurate and I personally think that it is, then Trump's capability and capacity to service as President of the United States is highly questionable. His aids are apparently hiding documents from him so he can't act on them. They are doing this because they fear he is going to get us into another world war. Trump clearly vacillates on his decision making. His tweets are both embarrassing and disturbing. He often acts like an adolescent throwing a tantrum when he tweets some of the nonsense that he tends to do and on a regular basis. He is anything but Presidential. 

Woodards entire interview was not only disturbing but downright scary. Until that interview I've been giving Trump the benefit of the doubt. His childish antics disturbed me, but I attempted to focus on some of the good stuff he's done, and he has made some good decisions, at least IMO, on some issues. I credit him for getting the economy rolling again. Unemployment is at very low levels. Trump seems to be better at domestic issues, especially ones pertaining to business, than international ones. 

Anyway, to appreciate the concerns Woodward is raising the interview would have to be watched and his book will have to be read. If Trump manages to survive politically and run for a second term I am absolutely not voting for the guy again. I can only hope that the Dems will run a moderate that I can vote for in good conscious, if not I will have to sit the next election out. That would be the first time since the 70' that I haven't voted. 

• Thanks 1

PLEASE EXCUSE THE ANNOYING COMMERCIAL BREAKS IN THE CONVERSATION:

As with everything these days, the cost of keeping the Ex-C forum up and running has been rising. Inflation? In part, but the primary reason is this: As participation in the forums grows, costs increase. The Ex-C forums will remain free of charge to everyone, but if you believe this little corner of the Internet provides value to you or others, and you feel inclined to help keep us online, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a regular contributor. Contribution options appear under the "Upgrade" link above, and can be accessed by clicking here.

Oh, and as an incentive (no, you won't be given any bogus promises of eternal bliss), if you do become a regular contributor by signing up for any monthly or yearly patron package, this annoying ADVO will disappear.

And now, back to the regularly scheduled conversation...

Corruption in administrations by the number:

Obama (D) – 8 yrs in office. Zero criminal indictments, zero
convictions and zero prison sentences. So the next time somebody
describes the Obama administration as “scandal free” they aren’t
speaking wishfully, they’re simply telling the truth.

Bush, George W. (R) – 8 yrs in office. 16 criminal indictments. 16
convictions. 9 prison sentences.

Clinton (D) – 8 yrs in office. 2 criminal indictments. One conviction.
One prison sentence. That’s right nearly 8 yrs of investigations. Tens
of millions spent and 30 yrs of claiming them the most corrupt ever
and there was exactly one person convicted of a crime.

Bush, George H. W. (R) – 4 yrs in office. One indictment. One
conviction. One prison sentence.

Reagan (R) – 8 yrs in office. 26 criminal indictments. 16 convictions.
8 prison sentences.

Carter (D) – 4 yrs in office. One indictment. Zero convictions and
zero prison sentences.

Ford (R) – 4 yrs in office. One indictment and one conviction. One
prison sentence.

Nixon (R) – 6 yrs in office. 76 criminal indictments. 55 convictions.
15 prison sentences.

Johnson (D) – 5 yrs in office. Zero indictments. Zero convictions.
Zero prison sentences.

Now go look up today's tally for the Trump administration for yourself. By far the shortest time in office, and the big hint: he's already beat Nixon. And it just gets worse day by day.

Obama was a moral man and acted Presidential. That doesn't change the fact he committed serious blunders that cost a lot of military lives. That doesn't change the fact he didn't replace his incompetent Sec. Of State Hillary Clinton or that his Justice Dept. & AG were corrupt and bias. I would rate Obama's foreign policies as poor. He routinely insulted and alienated some of our strongest long term allies for clearly personal reasons. 

Obama's Presidency did give the country the opportunity to experience what a far left domestic policy is like. It was close to an economic disaster. Unemployment was high and GNP was low. 

I would give Trump's Presidency a solid D & Obama's no better than a C.  

12 minutes ago, Geezer said:

Obama's Presidency did give the country the opportunity to experience what a far left domestic policy is like.

We have never seen a "far left" policy in this country, not even under the rule of those evil Liberals.

Even a moderately leftist policy model would not keep the healthcare profit model, would not favor banks and corporate interests over regular people and would not keep the minimum wage lagging far behind inflation. Leftists wouldn't have started building "the wall." Leftists wouldn't have ramped up Homeland Security at the expense of the Bill of Rights. Perhaps you consider to be radical such things as pollution standards, trying to keep the deficit in check and calls for pay equity. I don't give Obama credit for much, but he did an amazing job of turning around the economic mess he inherited; check the figures for yourself. Trump hasn't done anything but make the rich richer and raise the cost of goods, both domestic and imported. Of course he does hold the all time world record for verifiable lies, so there's that.

• Like 2

The right has been screaming "lower taxes" for as along as I can remember. The left has been screaming "tax the rich" for as long as I can remember. Ultimately, the Congress and Senate has to do something but they don't and I think that is by design. Their main concern is getting re-elected, so they all pander to their base & their personal finances seem to increase each year no matter what the economy is doing.

I owned and and operated a business and my business didn't experience any positive results from Obama's amazing economic turnaround. And I don't recall the unemployment figures and GNP making any amazing turnarounds either, but I'm old and my memory isn't what it used to be or maybe his amazing turnaround just didn't reach the area where I live.