Daffodil

More than 3,600 children abused by priests in Germany in last 70 years

You would think the Vatican would have done something about this a long time ago considering how much time and effort it took to keep hiding it for so long . . .

http://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2018/09/13/church-commissioned-report-german-catholic-priests-abused-more-than-3600-kids/

• Sad 1

Thank you for your support
Buy Ex-C a cup of coffee!
Costs have significantly risen and we need your support! Click the coffee cup to give a one-time donation, or choose one of the recurrent patron options.
Note: All Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.
17 hours ago, Daffodil said:

You would think the Vatican would have done something about this a long time ago considering how much time and effort it took to keep hiding it for so long . . .

"hiding it for so long", Church scandals involving priests, bishops and other officials have happened since almost the very beginning of the Universal Church. Do a search on the scandalous histories of even the popes and you'll find some doosies! Does the church lose some followers? Sure, but for every one that leaves, there are many more born to fervent followers that are indoctrinated from birth into the church. The Vatican knows its stood on shaky ground many times before and by waiting, the storm blows over and they change something in their operations to address the problem, not always a good program, but as long as they can hoodwink some followers, they are assured of a new generation of followers.

Most consider the god of the old testament to be cruel, but by demanding the extermination of those who were conquered, it would have been nearly guaranteed that their religion would end and no longer be a problem. Rome on the other hand was an old fashioned Borg, they assimilated the cultures they conquered and were ultimately destroyed by them from the inside. That old, cruel god was actually pretty smart.

15 minutes ago, Noahccount said:

"hiding it for so long", Church scandals involving priests, bishops and other officials have happened since almost the very beginning of the Universal Church. Do a search on the scandalous histories of even the popes and you'll find some doosies! Does the church lose some followers? Sure, but for every one that leaves, there are many more born to fervent followers that are indoctrinated from birth into the church. The Vatican knows its stood on shaky ground many times before and by waiting, the storm blows over and they change something in their operations to address the problem, not always a good program, but as long as they can hoodwink some followers, they are assured of a new generation of followers.

Most consider the god of the old testament to be cruel, but by demanding the extermination of those who were conquered, it would have been nearly guaranteed that their religion would end and no longer be a problem. Rome on the other hand was an old fashioned Borg, they assimilated the cultures they conquered and were ultimately destroyed by them from the inside. That old, cruel god was actually pretty smart.

Maybe, but change really is in the air.  These investigations are spreading across the globe, children are a much more sympathy-inducing population than adult women harmed by the church, and the internet has succeeded in teaching the newest generations not to trust everything their elders tell them.  Though I know religion will likely never completely die because of what you mentioned, I do believe it is becoming more and more marginalized every day.  But then I am an eternal optimist with pragmatic tendencies and a realist bent 😉.

The internet and mass media might have a bigger impact on the grand church this go-round, we can only hope. On the other hand though, I sat in the waiting room at the hospital yesterday while my wife had bunion surgery and a middle-aged woman sat next to me polishing her rosary beads like there was no tomorrow! That church isn't going to die easily or quickly.

3 hours ago, Noahccount said:

The internet and mass media might have a bigger impact on the grand church this go-round, we can only hope. On the other hand though, I sat in the waiting room at the hospital yesterday while my wife had bunion surgery and a middle-aged woman sat next to me polishing her rosary beads like there was no tomorrow! That church isn't going to die easily or quickly.

It's dying in Europe and in the Asian strongholds.  The last place it will be is in the USA and Latin America.  

On 9/14/2018 at 2:51 PM, Daffodil said:

You would think the Vatican would have done something about this a long time ago

As I wrote in another thread on this topic, an opinion writer recently wrote that they cannot solve the problem because they are the problem. The Onion recently posted a satirical article about what kinds of men sign up for this outfit, wherein they are supposed to live a celibate life with a bunch of other men in a severely authoritarian structure , wear funny clothes, and work every Sunday. The Church of Pedophilia cannot change because of the nature of its structure.

12 minutes ago, Burnedout said:

The last place it will be is in the USA

I don't think it will ever die out completely. Fear is a big motivator. People go for this stuff because they are afraid. Afraid of death, of the unknown, of the dark, of anything they don't understand. And those who promote it use standard advertising techniques to hook in new fraidy-cats by convincing them that they have a problem and here is the solution.

• Thanks 1

People may turn to Protestantism.  Unfortunately, I think it has the more radical sects of xianity at this point in time when compared to the Catholics.  Where else can they turn?  I guess the Greek Orthodox?  The Ethopian church?  There aren't a ton of choices that are neither Catholic nor Protestant and none of them are really winners.

mwc

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mwc said:

People may turn to Protestantism.  Unfortunately, I think it has the more radical sects of xianity at this point in time when compared to the Catholics.  Where else can they turn?  I guess the Greek Orthodox?  The Ethopian church?  There aren't a ton of choices that are neither Catholic nor Protestant and none of them are really winners.

mwc

There's always New Age Spiritualism.  I think Oprah is a fan.

All any kind of spiritualism does is placate the delusion of duality. 

HOWEVER, if we can ween the purveyors of more harmful religions away from those doctrines via spiritualism then more power to them!