Sign in to follow this  
Daffodil

Darwin Award

Has anyone ever started a Darwin Award thread?  Well I’ve got a great one.  True story right here in my town.  Husband (a prison officer) and wife are gun enthusiasts and they had a fun little game they liked to play with each other.  Whenever they would come home to each other they would do a little pretend gun battle, only they would use their real guns to do it.  Well the other day, he came home and they did their little thing except her gun was loaded.  She shot him in the eye and he died in the hospital just a few hours later.  I want to feel bad but I just can’t.  Call me a cold hearted b****, I don’t care.  

Anybody else want want to join in?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I posted this in the atheist Facebook thread. Don't get much more Darwiney than this!

"Stupid is as stupid does..." 

Early this September, a tourist was taking a selfie at Nevada Falls in Yosemite, which is a 600-foot high fall, and he stepped back to get a better shot and fell over. Back in 2011, at Vernal Falls, downstream from Nevada Falls, a man and a woman decided to climb over the railing just ahead of the 317-foot drop. They slipped off wet rocks and started to go over and another person jumped in to save them. All three were swept downstream and over the edge. There is a railing and signs in multiple languages about the danger.The three bodies were not recovered until five months later when the water level dropped.

Every year people die in Yosemite, usually from doing stupid things. Earlier this summer we were in Yellowstone and just missed witnessing a guy getting gored by a bison after trying to pet it. And we saw other folks reaching out to one that was up against one of the boardwalks around the thermal pools.

There is no low end for I.Q. I believe it can be measured in negative numbers.

• Thanks 3

We were in Yellowstone two years ago and while we were there we heard there had been a death.  A college age man and his sister decided to step off the paths for a bit and he fell into one of the boiling sulphur springs.  Reportedly only his shoes were left.  I can only imagine what it must have been like for his sister to see that happen.

ETA:  Apparently even college can't fix stupid.

• Thanks 1

They should have been passing out Darwin Awards at the beach today. There were so many sharks attacking mullet all around us that I'm shocked no one got bit. Good sized sharks. Tails coming out of the water. And we kept surfing through it. Pushing our luck, getting a few more waves. Closer to sundown I called it a day because it was getting increasingly ridiculous sitting in a feeding frenzy close to sundown. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, older said:

Early this September, a tourist was taking a selfie at Nevada Falls in Yosemite, which is a 600-foot high fall, and he stepped back to get a better shot and fell over. Back in 2011, at Vernal Falls, downstream from Nevada Falls, a man and a woman decided to climb over the railing just ahead of the 317-foot drop. They slipped off wet rocks and started to go over and another person jumped in to save them. All three were swept downstream and over the edge. There is a railing and signs in multiple languages about the danger.The three bodies were not recovered until five months later when the water level dropped.

Heard the same basic story, a guy described as very intelligent with a double masters degree dropped his camera over the rail, jumped the rail passed the warning signs and slipped off the rocks. Book learning is definitely not the same thing as being smart. 

One locally was a guy who thought it would be thrilling to lay on the centre stripe on a busy road, to have the tires flash pass your face would get the adrenaline pumping. Sure enough a car pulls wide to avoid a lane change and drove right over the guy. 

Climbers at the volcano crater lake of Ruapehu got to close to the edge and one man slipped in. Fell into the crater lake and the acidic water killed him. Apparently people are even climbing down the slope of the crater to get closer to the lake... in a volcano... that's relatively active.

• Like 1

Palouse Falls, off Highway 12 somewhat near Lewiston/Clarkston, WA-ID.  Seriously, one wants to go to visit these beautiful waterfalls.  

These falls are in a remote but highly open place. Dangerous, falls are not developed in any way for touristy things.  Paths are marked out for casual explorers and photographers.  IF you are a better than average hard scrabble busted sharp rock climber going past safety boundaries makes for one hellova adventure especially with your camera.

This spring when water was running hard and full with spring melt water run-offs there were three drownings.  Every one of them were Citi-ots who HAD to go play in the water.  Somewhat local kid went over side.. Momma wants "something done"

Happens almost annually folks.  People also MUST find themselves trying to swim into the plunge pool where zillions of gallons swirl and twirl with some awesome turbidity. IF you get in, only way your corpse will leave is when it finally reaches top again...  Great Darwin spot... 

Palouse%20Falls%20file

kL

2 hours ago, SkipNChurch said:

Palouse Falls, off Highway 12 somewhat near Lewiston/Clarkston, WA-ID.  Seriously, one wants to go to visit these beautiful waterfalls.  

These falls are in a remote but highly open place. Dangerous, falls are not developed in any way for touristy things.  Paths are marked out for casual explorers and photographers.  IF you are a better than average hard scrabble busted sharp rock climber going past safety boundaries makes for one hellova adventure especially with your camera.

This spring when water was running hard and full with spring melt water run-offs there were three drownings.  Every one of them were Citi-ots who HAD to go play in the water.  Somewhat local kid went over side.. Momma wants "something done"

Happens almost annually folks.  People also MUST find themselves trying to swim into the plunge pool where zillions of gallons swirl and twirl with some awesome turbidity. IF you get in, only way your corpse will leave is when it finally reaches top again...  Great Darwin spot... 

Palouse%20Falls%20file

kL

Gorgeous! . . . from a distance.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fweethawt said:

I had to reread that a couple times just to understand what happened!

Going back to the OP for a moment, sometimes it isn't so much stupidity, it's more a case of familiarity breeding contempt. A few decades ago, for example, the British Army used the L1A1 rifle, better known as the SLR or Self Loading Rifle. This is also known as the FAL (Fusil Automatique Leger) in many other places. The Brits had a safety movie which was said to be based on a real incident in Northern Ireland, and I, as an Australian Army Reservist, was shown this a couple of times, as we used the same rifle at the time. What was said to have happened was this, a British patrol of section strength was called out in one of the NI cities. It was the umpteenth false alarm they'd had that day. The truck they were riding in had to brake sharply and a Sergeant who was sitting in the cab yelled at the driver, "Steady!"

Trouble was, one of the men in the back, in a half dreaming state, thought he heard the command, "Make Ready!" and so cocked his rifle automatically, as that is what this command means. (This is perhaps why the Australian Army doesn't use it, they use a sequence of "Load, Action, Instant!" instead.) The truck was ordered to return by and by and he still had a loaded and cocked rifle. Even so there should have been no problem, as their Corporal (the Section Commander) should automatically have fallen out to the right of the doorway of their barracks, and each man then should have filed past him, unloading his rifle as he did so and Easing Springs in a safe direction. When the last man was checked, he'd swap places with the Corporal and check the NCO's rifle. (Easing Springs means dry firing the rifle in a safe direction, typically pointing at the ground, not at your foot or anyone else's if you don't mind!)

Yet this didn't happen because the  Sergeant pulled your man out of the line and told him to do something else just for a moment. Thus he was allowed to enter the barracks with his rifle still loaded and cocked. Now in such a situation, before a soldier does anything else, he cleans his rifle and carries out daily maintenance on it. As a part of this he would naturally unload his rifle, and this your man would have done, only another man told him to hurry up as all the other rifles had been secured in a rack. The other man jokingly grabbed the rifle by the barrel and there was a bit of a playful scuffle, interrupted by a very loud bang and the other fellow collapsing on the floor with a small hole in his chest and a much larger one in his back where the round exited. Rather a mess.

The movie was shown as an example of how familiarity with weaponry often breeds contempt, even among hardened professionals such as these men, who were of a famous old County Regiment. It wasn't so much familiarity or stupidity on the part of the soldier; this was also shown by his NCO's who interrupted safety drills, which should never have happened. The lesson for all shooters on this forum is to become familiar with the safety procedures for your own rifle or sidearm, and carry them out correctly at all times. It would help if you didn't allow yourself to be distracted whilst doing these drills, and it would also help if you didn't play silly little kids games with real rifles!

Casey

• Thanks 1

I was going to offer this as a future Darwin Award because I heard that devotees of this temple threatened to commit mass suicide if women of any age (meaning potentially "unclean" women who are menstruating) are allowed to attend, as the Supreme Court of India recently determined they have to be allowed to.  My snarky response was going to be, "If it means that much to you, go for it assholes!  And don't let the door hit you on your way out!"  Then I read the article below and saw this:

The Sabarimala temple is set to open next week for a monthly ritual. The Shiv Sena’s Kerala unit on Saturday threatened that its women activists will commit suicide if any woman tries to enter the temple during that time

Ok wait.  Its women activists will commit suicide if any woman tries to enter the temple?  Aw, nah man, you didn't.  Tell me you didn't.  You did, didn't you.  You really did.  You men aren't going to sacrifice yourselves, nah, the women will do it.  Aw, nah nah man.  That is so wrong, I can't even.

https://www.mynation.com/news/sabarimala-devotees-protest-supreme-court-threaten-suicide-massive-rally-pgkxdx

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Fweethawt said:

Love this shit - there are vids on youtube with it. Fucknuts crazy my man. I always like seeing reality kick people in the arse - or run them over as was the case above. :D 

2 hours ago, Daffodil said:

I was going to offer .......

I think any and all threats of suicide and hunger strikes as a form of protest should be given the green light. 

If someone has such little concern for themselves that they are willing to kill themselves or starve themselves, what right does anyone else have to care more for them then they do? Screw them. Let them die.

7 hours ago, Fweethawt said:

I think any and all threats of suicide and hunger strikes as a form of protest should be given the green light. 

If someone has such little concern for themselves that they are willing to kill themselves or starve themselves, what right does anyone else have to care more for them then they do? Screw them. Let them die.

We do not negotiate with terrorists, same concept. Different form of terror. 

There was a story last week on my radio that talked about a man setting up booby traps in his yard to catch "those damn squirrels and illegals" and he set off his own trip wire by accident and blew his arm off. I was listening to the 911 clip, the guy was like "I blew my arm off. Those squirrels did me in."

Like um, no. It was the shotgun you set up YOURSELF, dumbass.

• Haha 3

And in today's news:

FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say a man apparently set a California home on fire while using a blowtorch to kill spiders.
KFSN-TV reports 29 firefighters were called to a Fresno housing development Tuesday night to put out a two-alarm blaze.

Authorities say a man was house-sitting for his parents when he tried to kill black widow spiders with a blowtorch. He got out safely, but the home's attic and second story were damaged.
Although the exact cause of the blaze is under investigation, firefighters believe the blowtorch was to blame.
There's no word on what happened to the spiders.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

This is how Oregon used to roll:

8 hours ago, SkipNChurch said:

This is how Oregon used to roll:

I guess "mobile crane" hadn't entered their thoughts.

3 hours ago, midniterider said:

I guess "mobile crane" hadn't entered their thoughts.

I'm not sure mr..  Can you imagine an entry into Life InsCo actuary book "Death By Exploded Whale Parts"?

:)

kL

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.