Goodbye Jesus

Trip to Rome

mwc

So years ago I came close to taking a trip to Rome but wound up having to cancel.  It looks like I might have the opportunity again.  I have some ideas as to what I'd like to do there but I thought I'd ask everyone what they would do if they went there, or what they did while they were, or if they live there, whatever.  You get the idea.  I know there are plenty of travel sites but I'm trying to find little ideas and not necessarily just lists of things.  Like not just what but why.  If this happens we'll probably be in Rome so it will be stuff in and around there.

Anyhow, if you've got ideas I'd love to hear them (or if you've got some special secrets that could help me out I'd appreciate that too).

mwc

• Super Moderator

If I were going to Rome, I'd go to Bosnia instead.

- Try to get to the main tourist sites at times when they are the least crowded.

- Most tourists don't get started until about 10 a.m. so get your butt out of bed and get going to those places that are open early.

- Don't plan more than two activities/sites per day.

- Stay in a BnB that has more than one room. The social interaction is much better than a hotel. Some of our best travel experiences have been meeting and chatting with folks at BnBs.

- Plan at least one day to get away from the tourist sites and into where the locals hang out.

- Plan so you don't have to rent a car and drive.

- Take half as much stuff as you think you'll need. Keep it to one carry-on. A small backpack is best. I can go for an unlimited amount of time and in any weather from hot to cold and rainy or even light snow with what I can get into a 19x15x7 schoolkid's book pack plus a 12x8x6 fanny pack. (If you want my packing list, let me know.)

- An inflatable lumbar pillow is invaluable on long flights. So is a supply of granola bars and some ebooks.

- I highly recommend the Bose noise cancelling over-the-ear headphones. Expensive, but so, so worth it on any flight. There are cheaper ones but you get what you pay for.

- Get a good pair of waterproof soft day-hiking boots or shoes. Spend the money and get good ones. You will be walking over all sorts of uneven surfaces.

- Be sure you have a credit card that has no foreign transaction fees.

- Set your phone to upload pix to the cloud so you won't lose them. If you take a camera, swap out the memory card every other day. Thus if there is any loss, you'll still have half the trip from end to end. (Or take three cards... they're cheap these days.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, older said:

If you want my packing list, let me know

Yes, please! I don't travel a lot, but I love knowing how to do it. My last trip (other than Mexico) was to Provence back in the 90s, single, never had been anywhere, had learned enough French to survive. I learned a lot about traveling, but things have changed in the past 25  years.

Sit-down toilets were hard to find in France, and each one was a different design. Even in England, sit down toilets were usually for women, and guys had a wall with water trickling down. Only the train had one where I could poo. That made life difficult for me at the time because my bowels wouldn't give a lot of warning before Defcon4. One hotel I tried to go to (Ibis) had no visible entry, so I had to find another. Found a Best Western in Avignon, just in the nick of time for my gut. On the beach, after passing several cafes that I felt embarrassed to even approach, I found a McDonalds, not for food but for the public toilet (in this instance a standard American style toilet).

I learned not to buy stuff I'd have to carry for miles.

I learned that the green cross was a pharmacy. Doctors in France tend to be snooty about their doctor-ness. I wanted some ointment for my feet after having walked miles. No, he decided I needed a refreshing spray. I bought it, but went to another pharmacy and got ointment.

I learned to dress more nicely. I was in blue jeans, white sneakers, and a red T-shirt. 'Murican!

Not all train conductors know what a travel pass is. Mine had to take it up to his senior who looked at him like "Seriously?" Even after the explanation, he punched it...

I learned my accent was enough to garble some words in French, so I'd have to write it out. I'm much better now.

I learned that some folks are very willing to help a tourist in need. I had my map out trying to find my first hotel and a French man stopped to guide me. Courtesy is important. He felt good, I felt good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never been outside the US, but love to watch videos of other people giving ideas and what to think about.  My understanding is that Europe as a whole has been inundated with tourists because of cheaper airfare, rewards credit cards, the economic improvement of the Chinese, etc. so the typical tourist sites are overcrowded and unpleasant.  If I ever get across the pond, I plan to go to lesser known areas and maybe stay in an AIRBnb situation away from the hotels and such.  Here's one site you might check:

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/italy/articles/11-hidden-gems-in-rome-even-the-locals-dont-know-about/

I also hear that pick pockets are rampant and have all kinds of creative ways to get to your valuables, so be extra wary and read up on that.

• Like 1

My wife and I spent a wonderful four days in Rome in early November 2015, our first visit.  I had read that November in Rome Is often very wet but we enjoyed sparkling autumn sunshine and fewer tourists clogging the streets. The Vatican Museum is an absolute must, and no, my cold atheist heart was not stirred into belief, but it is uplifting and inspiring regardless. I have to say the highlight for us was an evening when we took a food tour through the district of Trastevere.  Google ‘Eating Italy’ and sign up for an after-dark tour. It was magical and delicious!

I’d recommend keeping money and passports in a money-belt because pickpockets and petty theft are unfortunately common.  A couple at our hotel had their passports and money snatched from under their noses while taking a break at a park. Speaking of hotels, there’s lots to choose from, but I can’t recommend the Hotel Modigliani highly enough.  It’s near the Piazza Barberini, 25 minutes walk from the Vatican in one direction and the Collosseum in another. But buses were always readily available.

Have Fun - Rome is wonderful!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info so far.  I appreciate it.

In a nutshell we plan on getting there using airline miles (we've saved enough) and were thinking of using AirBNB to stay (but this part isn't written in stone or anything).  I tried getting this trip done about 10, probably close to 15, years ago and it was cancelled and now that it may be back on I'm trying to get things worked out so I don't miss my opportunity again.

I have a ton of things I'd like to see which are the usual tourist things for the area.  You know the Colosseum, Forum, Domus Aurea, Catacombs, Vatican, etc.  I also want to get down to see Pompeii and Herculaneum and the Greek Temples.  As well as some Etruscan stuff and at least one Mithraeum.  I know there's more and I'd be interested in trying to see things that aren't in the usual tours.  Like, for example, seeing other areas of the Colosseum that aren't in the general tour.  It seems I have to book that with some third party since I couldn't find that stuff included with the regular tickets.

mwc

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Daffodil said:

Never been outside the US, but love to watch videos of other people giving ideas and what to think about.  My understanding is that Europe as a whole has been inundated with tourists because of cheaper airfare, rewards credit cards, the economic improvement of the Chinese, etc. so the typical tourist sites are overcrowded and unpleasant.  If I ever get across the pond, I plan to go to lesser known areas and maybe stay in an AIRBnb situation away from the hotels and such.  Here's one site you might check:

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/italy/articles/11-hidden-gems-in-rome-even-the-locals-dont-know-about/

I also hear that pick pockets are rampant and have all kinds of creative ways to get to your valuables, so be extra wary and read up on that.

I've only been to Canada and Mexico and that was before we required passports to cross those borders.  So if I manage this trip it will be a whole new experience.  I plan on a money belt and/or anti-theft/anti-slash backpacks for over there.

mwc

On 9/28/2018 at 12:56 PM, Daffodil said:

In today's world, credit cards are accepted almost everywhere, so you don't need to carry much cash. We take cards from two different banks just in case of loss or other foul-up — wifey carries one, I carry the other. I keep my credit card and passport in the breast pocket of my shirt, which has a velcro closure. If you take a phone, you should also be able to put it in a pocket with a button or velcro closure. You can get travel clothes with such pockets. We don't take jewelry; I carry a $25 watch.

The only other thing of value I take is my iPad, which is vulnerable only in the room when I'm not there since my small backpack is never out of my sight otherwise. If I was worried about it I'd put it under the mattress and push it all the way to the middle of the bed. They won't take the time to look there. And said iPad is locked with a password so it would take some hacking to be able to use it. 

Speaking of iPads etc., do sign up for a VPN. This will keep your communications encrypted and secure. Never use a public Wifi without having a VPN. I don't like free VPNs as they need some way to make money and I don't trust that they will not take advantage of me. I use Mullvad, which is a paid service that does not track or log your activity, and they run their own DNS servers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not long back from 4 nights in Rome, with the specific intent of seeing the ancient bits as they are relevant to my son's degree course.

We stayed in a hotel near the Spanish Steps, Bed & Breakfast.

Be prepared for plenty of walking.  There are buses and a metro, but you see a lot more navigating the streets on foot.  However, the sheer amount of stuff you can see means you can walk 10+ miles a day, if my son's pedometer was accurate.  Just doing the fora and Palatine is a good day's exercise in itself.

If you are, or are with, anyone who is a student, make sure they have proof of their student status and course enrolment.  That got my son into everything for free.

There are combined tickets for the fora, the Palatine and the Colosseum, valid for 2 days.  Precisely how much you get into depends on how much you spend - 18 euros for the full thing, c. 12 for a standard entry (you'll miss things like the house of Livia, the Palatine museum or the Temple of Romulus).  Some parts are open alternate days, hence the 2 day tickets.

Beware people in the street trying to sell you tat (roses at the Spanish Steps, if you have a female with you).  I had no issue with pickpockets but I habitually wear cargo trousers with buttoned pockets.

Food is reasonably cheap for a capital city if you stick to the smaller cafes and pizza houses.  Three main courses with a bottle of Chianti came to 50 Euros.  If you are doing B&B, fill up on breakfast, skip lunch and have a decent early evening meal.

Roman traffic is terrifying.  Vehicles are not obliged to stop at crossings unless controlled by lights - and even that is no guarantee.  Be careful.

September was humid with lots of biting insects.   Take repellant and keep to long trousers.

When it rains, it doesn't half rain.  Keep a waterproof in a rucksack and be prepared to be accosted by people trying to peddle umbrellas.

Look down.  Some interesting remains are below street level.  Check out the internet before you go - some underground remains are accessible if you know where to go.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ellinas said:

Roman traffic is terrifying.

When we were there some 38 years ago we saw drivers running their two right wheels up on the sidewalks. I'd hate to see it today.

I've been to Rome twice, and if you love history and architecture it is an amazing place.  The famous places (Vatican, coliseum etc) are famous for good reason.  The first thing I'd recommend is to join a tour rather than do it yourself.  For places like the Vatican there is a back entrance for the tour groups that opens half an hour before the front door.  On top of that, if you have a guide who knows the history they point out a lot of features that you wouldn't notice yourself.  Things like the meaning behind the art in the Sistine chapel.  We did it with Trafalgar Tours both times and not only do they speed up your entrance, but they also keep you moving during the day which makes sure you pack in as many sights as possible.  Some people prefer the slower pace of self tours, but with a limited time available it always seemed best to have that schedule worked out well in advance to make sure you hit everything you want to.

Also remember the Vatican has a clothing checkpoint on the doors.  Women must have shoulders covered (no singlet tops), and knees covered (I think that was the length mentioned, but worth double checking).  It seems counter intuitive in the Roman summer to cover up, but you will get rejected at the door if you show too much skin.

And remember there are a ton of pick-pockets operating in the tourist areas, so only take what you need and keep it secure.

The Greek ruins felt more spread out, so you lose more time to travel.  Lots of tours include island visits, but they didn't really excite me as much.  The Acropolis is cool, as is the Olympiad, but nothing blew my mind like the Vatican, Coliseum or Pompeii (It is something like Pompei with one i refers to the region, while Pompeii with two i's is the name of the city.  Most of the time you would be referring to Pompeii not Pompei, just to be confusing).

• Like 1

On 9/30/2018 at 9:16 AM, Ellinas said:

I

Look down.  Some interesting remains are below street level.  Check out the internet before you go - some underground remains are accessible if you know where to go.

Do you know where I should look? :)

I've found a government site that offered access to harder to access sites for 10 or more to certain groups but I didn't qualify (not surprise there).  But it gave me some leads and I'm trying to get into some of those tour groups.  I've heard of some of these sites in peoples basements but I can't seem to track down any way to get into these so far (I've heard of a hotel that puts together tours but it seems that it's just for their guests and they're out of my price range).

I don't mind paying a bit extra but it seems some of these the extra really doesn't amount to much (from what I can tell).

mwc

We took a tour beneath the Vatican that was well worth while. It’s limited to only 12 people so you have to reserve well ahead. One of the benefits is that at the end of the tour you emerge inside St Peter’s and so avoid the usually-long line to get into the basilica.  Go to http://www.scavi.va/content/scavi/en.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mwc said:

Do you know where I should look? :)

Didn't visit this one as we ran out of time, but  a colleague recommended it to me:

http://www.rome-tours.com/sanclemente.php

You will find that you "look down" on rather a lot - the sacred area, the fora (from road level - actually worth it for an overview before you go in), the innards of the Palatine, even beneath the arena level of the Colosseum.  You can't necessarily get to all of it, but you need to be aware that a relatively (I use the word advisedly) modern looking place can hide stuff that you can peer at.  For example, it was quite by accident that I noticed remains from the time of Domitian beneath the Piazza Navona - unfortunately too late in the visit to investigate further.

By the way - some practical information.  There's a public pay-to-use lavatory at the Spanish Steps.  Generally, if you want the loo, buy a coffee in a cafe.  However, once you are inside anything you pay to enter there are likely to be lavatories.  One place where you can find a free lavatory is inside the monument to Vittorio Emanuele, otherwise known as the Altare della Patria.  Up the steps, bear right, go inside and follow the signs.  It's near to Trajan's Column - and far too large to miss.

• Like 1

My SIL is a regional manager for a large contractor supply company.  Part of his job is to arrange the companies annual trip for their preferred customers. He has to find an exotic location, go and check it out, and then make arrangements for 500-800 people.

That sounds like a great job, but it is really a lot of work.And his company doesn't want unhappy clients. When the trip is taken, with all their clients,  my daughter accompanies him. They never get to enjoy the trip because they're working all the time and handling problems, complaints, and arranging activities for the clients. And something pretty much always goes wrong and has to be fixed.

Last year his company rewarded him, and my daughter, with an all expenses paid 2 week trip to Italy. They loved Italy and were able to visit several cities including  Rome. They both loved Italy so much they want to go back and do it again.

I hope you have a wonderful trip too Older.

• Like 2

I am from Australia, but we have been to Italy 4 times since 2012, spending at least 4 months in Italy.

If you are in the US, you are probably not used to trains. Italy has one of the best train systems in the world. They are sleek and sophisticated with speeds of up to 300 kilometres per hour and Internet access. And they are cheap! The website is www.trenitalia.com. At the top right corner of the website, there is a button to change the language to English. The main station for Rome is Roma Termini. Ask me if you want more info.

I use a PacSafe brand bag to keep my stuff safe. It has locks, mesh under the bag surface, metal wire in the straps and the ability to undo the strap and tie it around a table to prevent theft. I use the Metrosafe 250, which will hold enough things to go out for a whole day.

A tour of the Vatican is useful. I think I once heard that if you spent 60 seconds looking at each work of art, you would be there for 17 years. We have booked various tours with TickItaly and SelectItaly, but I can’t remember which one we used for the vAtican.

Wearing sunglasses can deter the pests a bit. I used the phrase “Va via” Vah vee ah to deter them. If that didn’t work I said “Non ho bisogna”  Non oh be son ya. (I don’t need).

We usually get enough cash from an auto teller to last two days and pay cash. auto tellers are called “Bancomat”.

Ask away if you have any other questions, especially about Italy in general or other places. We have been to Herculaneum, but not to Pompei or Paestum. We will go there in a while and do a trip that focuses on the south of Italy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just had a boss return from Italy. He said that they got on a train, put some stuff in the overhead, sat down, and a few minutes later a guy with a duffle bag sat down near them and put his bag up also. Then he got it back down with one of their backpacks and took off. He chased him down and physically towered over the guy, made him give the pack back. Just before the train took off he saw the guy outside the window smirking, duffle bag full of other bags.

• Sad 1

On 9/30/2018 at 11:02 PM, Wertbag said:

We did it with Trafalgar Tours both times and not only do they speed up your entrance, but they also keep you moving during the day which makes sure you pack in as many sights as possible. 

I did the Trafalgar tour about 13 years ago. They packed in a lot over one week, and they definitely got us in ahead of the crowds. I remember the tour guide called it the "bullet tour" of Italy. It was a great way to get a taste of some Italy highlights, especially for a first time (perhaps only time) visit.

19 hours ago, Blue elephant said:

If you are in the US, you are probably not used to trains. Italy has one of the best train systems in the world. They are sleek and sophisticated with speeds of up to 300 kilometres per hour and Internet access. And they are cheap! The website is www.trenitalia.com. At the top right corner of the website, there is a button to change the language to English. The main station for Rome is Roma Termini. Ask me if you want more info.

I'm not used to trains.  I've never actually ridden one (except at Disney ;) ).  Where I grew up we had practically zero public transportation.  I finally rode a non-school bus when I was a teenager.  I used a taxi for the first time a year or so ago (I switched to Uber after that and found it more appealing).  I good with domestic planes but international I've never done at all.  I've done one cruise and didn't think it was all that great (my wife got land sick after and doesn't want a repeat).  Mainly I just drive myself where I need to go.  I don't think I'll be doing that in Italy so I envision walking the city, taking taxis (I saw some Uber-like scooter thing that seemed interesting), buses, the metro and trains for elsewhere.

I use a PacSafe brand bag to keep my stuff safe. It has locks, mesh under the bag surface, metal wire in the straps and the ability to undo the strap and tie it around a table to prevent theft. I use the Metrosafe 250, which will hold enough things to go out for a whole day.

I'll check into all these.

A tour of the Vatican is useful. I think I once heard that if you spent 60 seconds looking at each work of art, you would be there for 17 years. We have booked various tours with TickItaly and SelectItaly, but I can’t remember which one we used for the vAtican.

I'm not really into this period but I'm just so curious about the amount of wealth that is there I have to go.  I'm also curious just as an ex-c.  Even though I wasn't Catholic xians all seem to buy into the stories of Peter and Paul being there so I want to see the stuff surrounding these myths.  And I want to visit the tiny city/state and maybe get a pic/video of their head of state.  The Pope is a legit head of a country and a religion (ah, theocracy) so I'll take a shot at getting a pic/vid.

Wearing sunglasses can deter the pests a bit. I used the phrase “Va via” Vah vee ah to deter them. If that didn’t work I said “Non ho bisogna”  Non oh be son ya. (I don’t need).

I don't have prescription sunglasses. I'll see about them.  I've been trying to learn Italian (which is going poorly) but I try to remember these.

We usually get enough cash from an auto teller to last two days and pay cash. auto tellers are called “Bancomat”.

I've read this advice elsewhere.  It seems like a good idea.  I didn't know the name for what we call ATM's though.

Ask away if you have any other questions, especially about Italy in general or other places. We have been to Herculaneum, but not to Pompei or Paestum. We will go there in a while and do a trip that focuses on the south of Italy.

I wish I knew what to ask but I don't.  I'm just gathering up all the information I can.  That's pretty much why I started the thread the way I did.  I'm not sure what all to do or how to go about it so I figured I'd ask others what they would do if given the chance or what they had already done and then I could combine that with what I had in mind and go from there.

mwc

In the end, just go and have fun. If you've got a credit card and a passport, you'll be all right. Don't obsess over creating a perfect, detail-planned trip. Things will go wrong. Roll with it and make it part of the adventure. But serendipitous things will also happen that will be delightful. You'll have a blast, and you'll remember the trip for the rest of your life.

• Like 3